Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli CAI + Tune= BrenSpeed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI + Tune= BrenSpeed

ORIGINAL: Quick S

ORIGINAL: I8ACHEVY

What I was getting at was, I know that the CAI gives you like 22-25HP. Will you get much more when you add the tune?
Gotcha , Well in all honesty, I know that GMS is Claiming 22 to 25 HP gain, but not sure its actually getting that. The recalibration kit is basicly tricking the computer thinking its getting the proper A/F mix, Now the engine is still getting more air, and there is a HP gain, but it still not going to be as high, as with a tune.

I have the GMS CAI, and the a/f leveled out at 12.5 when dynod. The MAF and harness measured and compensated for the increased air, so no, it doesn't trick anything.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Refire05GT

What I was getting at was, I know that the CAI gives you like 22-25HP. Will you get much more when you add the tune?
Gotcha , Well in all honesty, I know that GMS is Claiming 22 to 25 HP gain, but not sure its actually getting that. The recalibration kit is basicly tricking the computer thinking its getting the proper A/F mix, Now the engine is still getting more air, and there is a HP gain, but it still not going to be as high, as with a tune.

I have the GMS CAI, and the a/f leveled out at 12.5 when dynod. The MAF and harness measured and compensated for the increased air, so no, it doesn't trick anything.
Ok, then I stand corrected. I am misunderstandering what I'm being told, on how the recalibrated MAF sensor works. Granatelli didn't use the word "Ticking the computer", but my interpretation of how they explain it to me, is how I understood it, and the tuning tech at Evolution Performance told me, "The Granatelli CAI is Garbage, and I should just throw it in trash, because I was lucky if I was getting 8 HP with it!!" So I'm curious, when you Dyno'd it, what where your numbers?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Got my SCT Tuner from BrenSpeed Friday, and all I can say is it put a smile on my face after the Install.

Got the car to bark in second and third [sm=drooldude.gif], and throttle lag is like Non-existant, it feels like a whole NEW Car!! [sm=burnout.gif]. Definitly worth the Money, and BrenSpeed is #1 in my book.
Thanks to you guys, I was able to find out about Brent, and look foward to getting some more stuff from him in the next couple weeks [sm=smiley20.gif]

Oh yeah, running the 93 Tune, and Lov'in it!!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Refire05GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Refire05GT

Ok, then I stand corrected. I am misunderstandering what I'm being told, on how the recalibrated MAF sensor works. Granatelli didn't use the word "Ticking the computer", but my interpretation of how they explain it to me, is how I understood it, and the tuning tech at Evolution Performance told me, "The Granatelli CAI is Garbage, and I should just throw it in trash, because I was lucky if I was getting 8 HP with it!!" So I'm curious, when you Dyno'd it, what where your numbers?
So a person who makes a living out of selling tuners, and tunes, told you that your no-tune required CAI was garbage, and that you needed a tune. Grats.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Grey_Ghost
1st Gear Member

"So a person who makes a living out of selling tuners, and tunes, told you that your no-tune required CAI was garbage, and that you needed a tune."

Exactly!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grey_Ghost

"So a person who makes a living out of selling tuners, and tunes, told you that your no-tune required CAI was garbage, and that you needed a tune."

Exactly!!!!!
NO!!, your missing the point, and the point being, the guy at Evolution who sells tuners, and tunes, told me the GMS CAI was garbage and the only way to get the real deal, was to buy "ANOTHER" CAI kit and tuner "THROUGH HIM", and he was a real A$$H*le about it. Brent at BrenSpeed, worked around the GMS re-calabration kit, so I got a tune, kept my GMS CAI kit, and got remarkable results!!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:26 PM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

well, for all those with the GMS CAI kit who want a tune, just talked to Brenspeed, and its not an issue, there are 2 ways to go about it.

1. Remove recalibrated MAF and replace with stock, or
2. leave in recalibrated MAF, and his tune will work with it.
Quick S

Which route did you take and how are you liking that setup, now that you've had it few days. I have the GMS CAI, but now I'm thinking about gears, so it looks like I am going to need a tuner soon. Just wondering how seamlessly the XCAL2 works with the GMS.

Thanks
Jack
Old 11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I don't have mine dyno'd, but I will tell you this: After installing the Granatelli CAI, you'd have to be completely numb not to notice the difference. Aside from sound (not important in this discuss, but the sound, baby, the sound!) there is a definate improvement in throttle response and power. It may not be as slick as a custom tune, but the Granatelli CAI was certainly NOT trash material. That guy was a moron and obviously out to steal your money.

Plus, for the math ($350 CAI + $350 tuner -vs- $350 CAI + no tuner), it's an awsome deal. And like the thread goes...you can still custom tune later for even more bang.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow

I don't have mine dyno'd, but I will tell you this: After installing the Granatelli CAI, you'd have to be completely numb not to notice the difference. Aside from sound (not important in this discuss, but the sound, baby, the sound!) there is a definate improvement in throttle response and power. It may not be as slick as a custom tune, but the Granatelli CAI was certainly NOT trash material. That guy was a moron and obviously out to steal your money.

Plus, for the math ($350 CAI + $350 tuner -vs- $350 CAI + no tuner), it's an awsome deal. And like the thread goes...you can still custom tune later for even more bang.

EXACTLY!! Very well put Arrow [sm=smiley20.gif]

ORIGINAL:watsonaka

Quick S

Which route did you take and how are you liking that setup, now that you've had it few days. I have the GMS CAI, but now I'm thinking about gears, so it looks like I am going to need a tuner soon. Just wondering how seamlessly the XCAL2 works with the GMS.

Thanks
Jack
I Freak'in Love it!!!, after talking with Brent, I left the re-calibrated MAF sensor in. After the tune, the car felt like a whole new car. And to also back up the GMS CAI, at the track, With just that and the exhaust work, I was able to put down 13.6, a few completly Stock 05 & 06 Stangs ran as well that night with 14.5s and 14.3s (Both Autos like me), so the GMS CAI can't be that much garbage, LOL. Now with just the tune added, I was able to put down 13.2s all night!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Oh yeah, I'm running the 93 tune , and yes if your going to get gears you need a tuner, call BrenSpeed, he'll put you in the right direction
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
watsonaka
1st Gear Member

13.2s all night long huh, that is excellent. You don't have your gears in yet do you Quick? With gears you should be in the high 12s. I spoke to a local performance shop today who is strongly encouraging me to go with 4.30s in my automatic. Sounds like way too much gear for a daily driver, but he swears by them. I believe one reason he prefers them is because he said Ford still makes the 4.30s and they are much cleaner to setup, than the motives. I bet those 4.30s do get you out of the hole in a hurry.

Did you get any custom tunes from Brent or are you running the canned 93 octaine tune that cmes in the X-Cal2?

Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI + Tune= BrenSpeed