Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On my 2nd Mustang GT test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: On my 2nd Mustang GT test drive...

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

+1 on that Sherwood. That salesman was full of crap. He was showing saltzy no respect. I would have just told him that it was cool since I heard the other Ford dealership that was nearby had some new stangs come in and I'd just go over there and buy one even though they were a little further away. As I was leaving I'd say to him that I guess he must be doing pretty good this month and didn't need another sale. Bet he would have winced at that.
When I needed new windows for my house I had one of the salesman try to strong arm me. He said my wife had to be present. I told him that no, she didn't. He called his boss and his boss told him to leave. This particular company tries to get you to sign a contract right there and then. As he left I told him "too bad since all you had to to was beat so and so (and I named the most expensive window company in town) and that you would have had the sale". He actually hesitated and tucked his head in a little like I hit him on top of the head. Classic! Don't ever take crap from a salesman...if your money isn't good enough for them, then give it to someone else.

When I was shopping around to buy a new car I was looking at a 2005 (brand new on the lot) 350Z convertible. They were giving me crap about the price. Bear in mind the car was almost, technically, 2 years old even though it was brand new. They wouldn't deal on the price, to my satisfaction, and they gave me crap about my credit report and I walked. They even called me back several times and left voice mails, but by then I had gone to Ford, test driven a 2006 GT and bought it the same day. I love to walk out on car salesmen when they give me crap. Glad I didn't buy the 350z even though I already had one. Traded it on the GT.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Not being able to test drive the car you're buying is a bit silly. I could see wanting to make sure you can get financed and such, but to not be able to drive it at all before buying is a bit much.

That said they didn't let me test drive my 1993 suzuki GSXR-750 before I bought it, it also didn't have any fluids in it either.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

The 350z is a nice car with a great heritage. It is also quick. They don't look as nice as Mustangs though I think. I had a Mazda Miata MX-5 this year for a few months. I trdaed it back for a Mustang convertible. It was better than the base Solstice or Sky because you did not have to get out of the car to put the top up/down. The top has just one latch and is the easiest top to put up/down. I test drove it but the salesman did not know the car. The car has 2 numbers that show miles - one was the trip miles, the other was the total miles. On this car, the trip miles numbers are larger than the actual miles numbers. The salesman told me the car had 24 miles but it actually had 182. I did not notice this until I got home but they refused to do anything about it. I traded a 2006 Mustang GT Premium 5-spd Black/Black with 1800 miles for it. I kept it for about 4 months then traded it for a 2006 GT vert Silver/Blk 5-spd. Maybe it had to do with the fact that some people think it is a woman's car or worse. I thought it was a great, quick roadster. I lost money but the dealer always comes out ahead if your trade cars in. Carmax always offers yu less than your car is worth. They will tell you the Kelly Blue Book numbers are not valid and will not even come close. One dealer wanted to sell me a 2006 blk/blk GT Premium that was a demo driven by the woman sales manager. It had almost 3000 miles and they would not give much on the price. I hope they still have it. It was nice though - Black/Black with silver stripes. It is considered a used car with 3000 miles as soon as you drive it off the lot so it all goes to show it is all about the dealership and sales manager - even time of the month/year. I only have 600 miles on my Mustang now since I live close to work - I have had it for 3 months. Shop at at least 3 dealers before you make a decision and good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06
Shop at at least 3 dealers before you make a decision and good luck.
I've already shopped over 10 dealerships and my decision is to order one. No point in getting a car other people drive and isnt exactly what you want.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

hell i bought my first of it had it had1 mile on it, it was a v6 auto , after 3 months and olny getting 200 rwhp, i said screw this and went back to the same dealership, and when i asked to test drive the gt the salesman said are you gonna buy it.i replied i have to drive first, and he said no, so i left pissed, and this one when you couldnt find these cars, it was like feb or march of 05. 2 weeks later the same yellow gt was thier and i went back only because i couldnt find another within 100 miles of where i lived. but i went to a different salesman and he let dog it out, i bought right on the spot, then i went out front to the gt waiting on me, got in it, drove over to this shaded area where all the sales people hang out and smoke and stuff and yelled out to the sales guy that wouldnt let me drive the car 2 weeks earlier and when he noticed me i yelled you remeber me, to bad for u a.hole. I had to rub it in his face
Old 11-09-2006, 05:46 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Seems like you will definitely get what you want - good decision. I hope you will be the only one to drive the car because if you are married your wife will want to drive it unless it is a 5-speed. If you are not married or it is a 5-speed you still might need to leave it for servicing and someone else may drive it. I also try not to let anyone else drive my car but I have not taken it in for servicing yet. It had 40 miles on it when I bought it but I did not think much about it since I have a warranty. Sometimes other people may be good drivers and the 40 or so miles are not so imprtant. Especially if you want a car and don't want to wait for delivery. Patience pays though if you really want to get exactly what you want and are willing to wait. I hope your car does not have an miles when you get it from the factory. I sometimes feel I am not the best driver because I sometimes ride the clutch. Best of luck - it is a great car.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

I got something like that recently where they wouldn't let me test drive it, and every dealership wouldn't budge a penny off MSRP with 10-15 Mustangs on the lot(mostly GT's) and they said it was their slowest month. They really didn't need the sales apparently.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

blackhorse +1 that must have felt dam good, some salesman just don't care.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:34 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

hell yea, the day that salesman wouldnt let me test drive i was like what, i bought the 05 i was in at that dealership. i was so pist, but in the end i got my payback
Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah +2, Blackhorse. A lot of salesmen are nice guys, but if you get a dick, you gotta let em know it and that you hit em right in the wallet since he didn't get the sale. Besides, the guy is only a salesman, he doesn't own the car, the dealership does. Unless the dealership owner says no drives (highly unlikely) then they all should let you test drive. Now, I only test drove a V6 since my dealership had no V8s yet, but when I felt the power and ride of even the V6, I knew I was buying the V8. I couldn't believe how beautiful the car was when it came in...I just kept walking around and around it going Wow! I love these new Mustangs!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/50184805A6E541D0A55036CB4218691A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: On my 2nd Mustang GT test drive...