Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question to manual tranny owners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

Default question to manual tranny owners!

when you drive your car on to a bumpy road, does your tranny shakes?? mine does, i can see it and feel it like my WHOLE tranny shakes, i feel it when i put my hand on my shifter and i see ity when i look at the shifter..it shakes!! i am not sure but i didnt have this before, lately i feel it.. i will take it to dealer.. i think something is loose down there or bad tranny mount!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: question to manual tranny owners!

Mine doesn't do it enough to mention. I notice a small amount of vibration which is expected, yes.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

when you drive your car on to a bumpy road, does your tranny shakes?? mine does, i can see it and feel it like my WHOLE tranny shakes, i feel it when i put my hand on my shifter and i see ity when i look at the shifter..it shakes!! i am not sure but i didnt have this before, lately i feel it.. i will take it to dealer.. i think something is loose down there or bad tranny mount!

The hydro motor mounts are mighty soft. They are there to isolate the noise/vibrations/harshness from the cabin. It is probably normal but I would suggest you check underneath for any loose hardware. If you don't find any you might want to take it to the dealer.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If I push in the clutch and don't shift while going down my washboard dirt road I hear a clunking. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but I know that can't be. Something must be shaking at the tranny.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

On second thought it more of a loud rattle, like the noise my adj. LCA's were making when the jam nuts worked loose. They don't come loose now though.

ORIGINAL: moosestang

If I push in the clutch and don't shift while going down my washboard dirt road I hear a clunking. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, but I know that can't be. Something must be shaking at the tranny.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

whenevr i drive my car, my right hand is on my shifter most of the time and damn shifter is shaking VERY noticable!! today i just watched it and it was shaking pretty good..
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

whenevr i drive my car, my right hand is on my shifter most of the time and damn shifter is shaking VERY noticable!! today i just watched it and it was shaking pretty good..
On a washboard road I would expect that to be normal. When you get on and off it do you feel movement? That would be more of a sign of a possible problem than lots of movement on washboard/bumpy roads.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have the washboard road, not doodad. I can feel my shifter shaking on any road, but I don't feel it's excessive. I also have the hurst shifter which will shake more than stock because of the bushings.

ORIGINAL: 07GT

On a washboard road I would expect that to be normal. When you get on and off it do you feel movement? That would be more of a sign of a possible problem than lots of movement on washboard/bumpy roads.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

The shifter does shake. How much is the shifter moving 1/2 inch?, 1 inch? 1.5 inch? You get the picture. Without driving the car, feeling the shifter, and knowing how bumpy the road is, it's hard to say. I can say that Ford has made all the motor and trans mounts to isolate NHV. That is why you will see more movement in your shifter. The motormounts are hydro and I haven't looked at the trans mounts, but I'll bet they're soft. For Doodad, again, check underneath, it's probably normal, but check!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Must have been those 7 or soo runs you made down the strip this past weekend

I think its normal

Quick Reply: question to manual tranny owners!