Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of a S/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pros and Cons of a S/C

So amiller44 is that shaker just for looks then....even though its not functional that still looks pretty sweet.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 AM
markj
1st Gear Member

MSgt46270, I was told that the Saleen kit did come with everything you needed to get up and running. If not what else would I need? BTW amiller and 05mustang those are some sweet looking engine bays. That's what I'm hoping for. But seriously, I thought the saleen kit was pretty complete. I'd like to hear more details on what else it would take.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:32 AM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

I was going to say the switch to Premium, but looks like that already happened. Go for it!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markj

MSgt46270, I was told that the Saleen kit did come with everything you needed to get up and running. If not what else would I need? BTW amiller and 05mustang those are some sweet looking engine bays. That's what I'm hoping for. But seriously, I thought the saleen kit was pretty complete. I'd like to hear more details on what else it would take.
You'll need #39 injectors (03-04 Cobra injectors), 90mm MAF. There is a saleen S/C for sell on Ebay for $4600 and $5100, SCT or Diablo programmer and someone to tune the car. JDM is good for mail order tunes. The KB comes with everything you'll need. Is your car stick or auto?

Email sent

Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

PRO: TONS OF POWER!!!

CONS: Anytime you add more power you run the risk of breaking internals. Not to mention that some of the shops are a pain in the @ss when it comes to warranty and repairs after you install aftermarket parts.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I want one too in my opinion, a positive displacement blower like saleen/roush/k-b would be better for a 'everyday ' car, as torque increases are always right there just off idle- so even just everyday quiet driving would be more fun- for racing a positive displacement might make less sense- centrifugals weigh less(I think) and are less expensive- more bang for the buck...but for off idle /part throttle torque, positive displacement is always providing about the same pressure regardless of rpm - once the bypass valve closes anyways- could be another plus for saleen/roush-not sure if k-b has one... at very light throttle its basically not doing anything to keep mpg up. possible plus for a centrifugal though, is keeping the 'charge motion plates' for part throttle efficiency (probably helps emissions a lot too) would be an option- I havent seen any positive displacement kits that allow CMCP to stay...I'm sure ford put them there for at least one reason- but not for peak hp...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:51 AM
markj
1st Gear Member

My car is a stick. The kit I'm looking at is from Haynes motorsports. They said I could get an upgrade wich included the following:
s/c pulley (6 psi) 39lb. injectors, 98mm mass air / air cleaner top,
Rubber air intake tube and PCM Reflash*
And by the way MSgt46270 that is such a sweet looking setup. It really looks factory. I have to admit that is one of the reasons I have been thinking of the saleen S/C.(loved the video's. Sure made that dodge truck look silly)
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markj

My car is a stick. The kit I'm looking at is from Haynes motorsports. They said I could get an upgrade wich included the following:
s/c pulley (6 psi) 39lb. injectors, 98mm mass air / air cleaner top,
Rubber air intake tube and PCM Reflash*
And by the way MSgt46270 that is such a sweet looking setup. It really looks factory. I have to admit that is one of the reasons I have been thinking of the saleen S/C.(loved the video's. Sure made that dodge truck look silly)
You might want to take a look at http://teamjdm.com/ and look at the kit they have. Comes with everything you'll need for the Saleen S/C. JDM has some good tunes also. Here's a video of JDM's Saleen racing my friend Don. Don has a fast car, but JDM took him in this race. http://don.2005stang.com/FFW_10-22-06_TimeTrial1.wmv
Thanks about my car, can't wait to get it back from my tuner. He installed a torque converter (TCI 3200 stall). I talked to him today and he was out test driving it and making sure everything was right before he gave it back to me. He said he wanted to take my car to the track on Thursday, but then he didn't want to take a chance in doing something to it. If he took it to the track I wouldn't have cared, I trust him with my car. When I get it back I'll have to take some video's.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 AM
markj
1st Gear Member

For anyone interested here is the link to Kenne Bell: http://www.kennebell.net/index.htm

I still don't think they look as nice as the saleen setup but it sure does look like a quality piece. On the price list I see where you get very complete kits right down to the tune. Prices actually don't seem too bad either. I might have to give them a call and see what they say. I'm very close to getting the saleen but don't want to rush into anything without doing my homework. Even the non-intercooled kit might do it for me. At 5 boost it should not over tax the motor and still give me a good kick in the pants. Bad part of that kit is I don't know if it could be upgraded.

I'll post when I get more info from KB. Thanks for everyone’s input. It's nice to have a resource like this board.

Mark
Old 11-13-2006, 02:43 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

I would still go with the KB. One reason is if your going to race and you want to change out the pulley it's right there (easy) and then re-flash the PCM. I like the KB better than the Saleen, but you really need to ride in a car with each setup and I have. Here's a picture of my tuners KB. BTW, last time I talked to him about his car he was putting down 700hp to the wheels.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a S/C