Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:51 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

Old thread I know... but any update fredm54...????

I did have that problem with the car jumping out of gear when I was a kid..

I would have gotten the belt ( from my Dad ) because he didn't believe me.. but my Aunt was there

in the car and told him it wasn't me that did it...

Rex
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

yeah get that checked out before u regret it...
Old 11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Mine does that ****, but for some reason my front brakes stay locked until I depress a button under the dash! I find shifting to second works better than shutting off the car.

Oh wait, I have linelocks and have it in for the stock pirelli's.

Seriously I have never had this happen, but I have had it hesitate when I step on the gas and then kick in after a second. Luckily that problem seems to have dissappeared.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:59 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

This happened to me in my F150, it turned out to be a sensor of some sort (can't remember which exactly). Take it to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

it used to happen on my 85 t-bird but it would stop after it warmed up and there was some part on the TB that was messed up
I could get out of the car and it would hold at about 5500RPM then pop the hood and turn the TB blade away from WOT and it would stop but that problem was unrelated to this because it had to do with a vacum line and spring
Old 11-22-2006, 12:10 PM
fredm54

You know I hate going to a dealer for service because they are always so busy and it's going to take a half a day or more where I'm just sitting there waiting. Anyway, I went early today (but not early enough) and saw a lot of cars sitting in line for the service dept so I just turned around and came back home.

There hasn't been any more problems for over a week and I'm paying attention to my foot placement everytime I get in the car. The more I think about it had to be me. I work as a troubleshooter in industrial electronics so I know how to think through a problem. Even if the output device that drives the actual throttle shorted, there would have to be protection built in to shut down the engine.

I'm going to wait and if this happens again I'm going to make sure where my foot is !!! I said earlier I've been driving for 36 years and never done that. Well, I'm also 36 years older !!!

If this ever happens again I'll definitely be at the dealer at 6 in the morning knocking on the door. I'll still drop in here occasionally with an update.

Fred
Old 11-22-2006, 12:24 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

I saw something about this on the news years and years ago when I was a kid. Ford cars suddenly accelerating.. I swore never to buy a Ford. [&:]
How'd that work out for ya? [8D]
Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Now see I was all set to post something like, "Yes, I have heard of this problem! It is my medical opinion that your mustang is infected with *dum DUM dum* THE SUPER CHARGER VIRUS!", but then I started reading and decided that posting such a thing would be like laughing at a funeral...

Seriously though, why is it so hard to believe that this could be a real problem? I'll freely admit I know nothing about the PCM, or the fly by wire throttle control, but since the computer does more than just regulate the throttle control, some other system could be malfunctioning and causing it. Things like this happen in software all the time; some variable overflows into another variable, and suddenly your "0" becomes a "2+ billion". SHAZZAM, your car just went blast off. Turn car off, variables reset, turn car on, it's fine, until that same sequence of events triggers the overflow again. Yes, it could be human error, but humans built the thing, and ruling out a mechanical/electrical problem because in the name of a "failsafe system" isn't really ruling it out definitively, in my opinion.

Personally, I've never had this happen to me. Lots of other fun computer controlled things happen that I don't like, but nothing this severe. I have been in an Oldsmobile Cutlas Sierra that would accelerate on it's own (could ride 4 miles into town on hilly roads doing 60MPH without touching gas at all, and having to brake occasionally); turned out to be a faulty part, i forget which one.

Good luck with trying to get it diagnosed and resolved.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:46 PM
fredm54

Hi, just to update anyone interested... it's been just over a month and I have not had another incident. I'll try to update once a month or until it happens again!

Fred
Old 12-27-2006, 10:31 PM
greenszy

Well you are not alone. You post to warn other people of the problem. Then you get all the negative responses, your shoe size, you had your foot on both pedals, etc. Well, here's my horror story.

This past Saturday my wife and I drove to a buddy's house to see his Xmas lights. Upon leaving I backed out of his driveway, and put our 2006 GT Premium Coupe into drive and had the wildest 10 second drive of my life. You know you cannot shift into reverse or drive without having your foot on the brake. So, I put my foot on the brake, shift into reverse and idle backwards. With my foot on the brake I shift into drive and immediately the car goes full, wide open throttle. Well, the brakes did nothing to slow the car down. I put my left foot on the brake also and it would not stop. We were on a narrow street (residential) where I had to make a left and then a right to get out. I could do nothing but steer the car and try to avoid hitting anything. Well, I missed the first house
drove up on the lawn of the second house, hit the rear of a Caddy in the driveway, then careened across the street into a driveway with a carport. I hit the garage at the rear of the driveway, which
eventually stopped the car.

We filed a complaint with Ford, and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. The car is in the body shop right now. As for the negative responses, I hope I get to see their posts when it happens to them.

Drive careful......

Quick Reply: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!