Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to installing my GPS and Radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default Finally got around to installing my GPS and Radar detector

So I finally got around to hardwiring the radar detector and my GPS. The radar detector came with an inline mute button, alert, and power led. I removed them from the plastic enclosure and dremeled it into the extra my color buttons that I don't have in my car. Works pretty good.

I know the radar detector (Bel Sti Driver) is higher than the manufactures suggested height. But for those that understand the technology, it's really not necessary.

The GPS is a HP5450 and the GPS reciever (not pictured) is a Ritek. I am using a Brodit mount which is secured to the dash with some good ole 3m two sided tape and the power cable runs into the radio's power wire.

Proclip (the USA Brodit distributor) now offers a custom fit clip so the 3m tape is not needed. But I have owned the brodit mount for a while and had it in my Audi before moving back to the US. And since the mount is a fixed install, 3m tape is 10 times cheaper.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:21 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Finally got around to installing my GPS and Radar detector

Thats cool, I have the same brand.. Bel Vector 995. Although I hardwired mine in.. I wish I could have used those mycolor buttons, thats a nice spot... Im currently looking for a place to put my detector button. And does Bel really not recommend putting it that high? Thats the exact place I have mine..
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Finally got around to installing my GPS and Radar detector

Suppose to be 8 inches off of dash... I gues it's a few inches higher. The reason for it is for recieving the Laser signal. A radar signal is everywhere. Which is the reason you detect Wal-Marts automatic doors. A laser has to be pointed at you which if the radar detector is to high it won't recieve the laser signal since is will be pointed lower to the the front of the car (usually front licence plate or headlight). But since every knows that if you detect a laser signal and are speeding, you are already busted. So, though it's high, it doesn't matter.

Oh yeah, the detector is a Bel STi Driver...