Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me, or does anyone else think the SCT tuner is cheaply made???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Is it me, or does anyone else think the SCT tuner is cheaply made???

My tuner looks as if it's going to fall apart any day now. If I drop it...forget about it!!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it me, or does anyone else think the SCT tuner is cheaply made???

It's durable enough to take a fall, but it cannot take a tug. I left my tuner in my glove dept forever, looks like it was a little cramped in there and I might have forced it shut. I'm guessing it tugged the cable and now it's lose. I can see the inside of my tuner through the cable opening on the top, the only thing keeping it in one piece are the actual wires themselves connecting to the PCB. Super glue is in order.

If this thing breaks, I'm basically stuck with my 87 tune. [&:]
Old 11-13-2006, 07:26 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it me, or does anyone else think the SCT tuner is cheaply made???

It would be considered fragile, don't drop it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

It will be a shame but -- when that happens just upgrade to the this - http://www.sctlivewire.com/
Old 11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

the start of 07 is supposed to have revamped xcal2 released. Supposed to have some more memory, a beefier casing and a few more improvments..
In my view the livewaire is for the ricer type.. who want the bling more so then any performance gains
Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

That kinda stinks for us who already have the XCAL2. Maybe there's a way we can exchange them for an upgrade in the future...that would be pretty cool. Or at least for a discount...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

sct will probably have an upgrade program where you can trade in for a updated one for a fee.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

To me, its a 350$/400 piece if tuning equiptment - I treat it like a damn laptop not like a $15 calculator....

It is ALWAYS in the foam in the box when not being used.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burke0011

To me, its a 350$/400 piece if tuning equiptment - I treat it like a damn laptop not like a $15 calculator....

It is ALWAYS in the foam in the box when not being used.
+1 ... minus the foam but in the box.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:15 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Most times I have mine so that the wire is run under my floor mat and then over the center console infront of the shifter so that I can hook up the laptop for data logging when ever I need to.

I'm looking at building a case for the xcal2, just like a hardcase for a pda phone. The case would lock in the usb plug and still allow access to the buttons and lcd screen as well as access to the din port for logging analog data sources.

Quick Reply: Is it me, or does anyone else think the SCT tuner is cheaply made???