Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Dealership Resolution Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default Window Tint Dealership Resolution Update

This is not a thread to beat another mustang problem to death. I just wanted share an update regarding my window tint scratching.

It took a while for me to notice that my windows were being scratched the crap out of, both driver and passenger windows. After reading several posts on this issue, I started watching out on my 07 and sure enough, I began to slowly notice more and more scratches. Took my car to the local Ford dealer (where I bought my stang) today. Per the service department, new parts have been ordered for my doors (sorry I dont know "yet" what parts were ordered) to be installed next week. They dealership is also pulling off the old tint to make sure the glass did not not suffer significant scratches as well. Lastly, my tint will be redone and paid for by Ford.

The service department also advised me that they have seen several of these cases. So in short, most dealerships should be aware of this issue and it should be taken care of under warranty, whether your tint was done at the dealership or not.

So all hope is not lost here folks!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Window Tint Dealership Resolution Update

Keep us posted, the service manager at the time I took mine in for this said they don't cover any aftermarket parts "window tint" installed. Believe me, I think thats totally bull, just haven't had the time to push the issue.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 02:04 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

So...I guess I'll be making a stop by Southwest to see what they can do about mine as well......Thanks Stowe...and who did you talk to?

- Justin
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Hey Justin, I knew this would get your attention for sure!

Just go talk to Roy Kuykendall. Roy is actually the one that said he has written up a few of these tickets. Also, Roy is my husbands service writer so you will be taken good care of, I promise!! And believe me, even with hubby being a heavy line tech for Ford, I still have to go through all the red tape just like everyone else, on warranty work.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

Keep us posted, the service manager at the time I took mine in for this said they don't cover any aftermarket parts "window tint" installed. Believe me, I think thats totally bull, just haven't had the time to push the issue.

Thanks
Here is the thing on the window tint; it may be aftermarket but the fact is this, the "crap" components in the door are causing the scratching which, in turn, tears up the tint. There have been situations (not many) where the actual glass has been scratched so bad that the glass has been replaced. It is the factory part that has cause damaged to the "after market" tint. You may go back to your dealership and tell them you talked to another Ford dealer and they are quite aware of this problem and they are covering this repair under warranty, tint and all! Im sure by now, the warranty folks at Ford have seen enough of these, they wouldnt be suprised to get calls from folks who cant get help getting this taken care of! Just my thoughts to ya!! Good luck.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

If the glass is being scratched then that is an issue for Ford to fix. If it's just the tint then Ford has no obligation to cover the cost of repair. Window tint is not 50 state legal for the driver and front passenger door anyway. In most cases you won't even have legal recourse. Have you installed the moleskin or felt yet? It's not Ford's responsibility to design the belt moldings for use with window tinting.

Again, if your glass is getting scratched then that is a different issue entirely.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Delete - duplicate post
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Bascho: That may be the case on the tint from state to state so I cant say on that one way or the other. The issue Im pointing out here is that there is a faulty part(s) in the design of those doors that is creating scratches to the window and these scratches are progressive, they become worse over time and use. Having had (4) mustangs in our family, this the first time I have "ever" had this kind of experience with window scratching. No, its not Ford's responsibility to replace aftermarket tint, however, if a faulty factory part caused damage to that tint, then yes, it is. And you have to remember, this has already been supported by the dealership's service department. I dont think they would make an effort to order "replacement parts" and be willing to pull tint to make sure the glass has not been damaged if they didnt feel there was an issue here. I have bought from Ford for (6) years and trust me, when they dont feel responsible, they wont take responsibility for it! And again, this could be different from state to state but I can tell you this, in Texas, 99.9% of vehicle windows are tinted.

There certainly can be a difference of consumer opinion here, however, the bottom line on this issue is that the dealer (Ford) is taking ownership of it and resolving the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Bascho: One other note, I noticed you are a "Product Analyst - Ford Motor Company". That is awesome to know because I would think that you could gather great feedback from your Ford customers on this forum. I would think that these types of posts would be helpful for Ford's design teams (not trying to be sarcastic, I am being sincere here).
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I would like to know the parts ordered, when you have this fixed. I have done the felt on the top of the door, but this was after the fact unfortunately. Not sure on what all parts they would be installing if its just the top rail needing felt? I would like them to atlease pay for the re tinting?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Window Tint Dealership Resolution Update