Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went back to stock axleback w/ OR H pipe

Old 11-18-2006, 05:38 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

Default Went back to stock axleback w/ OR H pipe

It was a painful decision. I had to remove the Stainless Violators and swap back to the stock axleback this morning. The Pypes violators sounded great until I installed the pypes off road h pipe. This setup might just be 2nd place to loudmouths.

The volume level at 2200 rpm and up, heavy trumpeting at 2500 rpm's, interior cabin noise plus the cold startup in a quiet neighborhood at 6am finally did it in. Conversation was with others was difficult on the interstate and the Shaker 500 could not hope to keep up. I also noticed the noisey exhaust changed the way I drove my 'Stang. I was short shifting and not really getting on it the way I should have. You could hear the car miles away. What was worse; The exhaust tone opened up where the engine makes the least amount of power so even a slight tap on the gas for some mild acceleration sounded like I was gunning the gas but not going anywhere!

The stock axleback with the OR h pipe is not too bad at all. Much more quiet then I expected but still 'warmed up' sounding. The cruise and startup is close to stock. I'm still on the hunt for an axleback that might be a notch or two up from this setup but I'm afraid that most are setup to sound good with the factory h pipe and not with off road pipes. If nothing turns up, I can live with this setup.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Went back to stock axleback w/ OR H pipe

Hey man,

How's it sound around 2500 rpm's? I've been considering the o/r h-pipe, but if it's really annoying between 2500 and 3000 rpm's, it's definitely a "no-go"...

Nick
Old 11-18-2006, 10:35 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

The Stock mufflers do tame the off road h pipe. I'm not short shifting shy of 2500 RPMs anymore and can carry a conversation on the highway at 80 MPH cuse the car sounds like stock but kicked up 2 notches.

Put it to you this way, the stock muffler/off road H pipe is a couple steps down on the volume and power meter Pypes Violators with the stock catted h pipe. Compared to the Violators and the off road pipe, my current setup is downright factory like in the tone and volume. If anybody ran Dynomax super turbo mufflers with off road pipes on their 5.0's back in the day, this sound is very close. It's a bit hollow sounding, not very deep, muted down low and under cruise but opens up nicely above 3000 RPM's and at WOT. If I can get something a bit deeper, slightly more pronounced and maybe a notch up in volume, I'd be a happy camper.....I just don't think it will happen without trying out several axle back systems.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I have the catted Bassani X-pipe with the SLP Powerflo mufflers. It is somewhat loud at initial startup, but nice at crusing speeds and no trumpteting...
Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

iam thinkin about a offroad X pipe with slp loudmouths does anyone know where i can get a clip so i can hear it?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fl_799

The Stock mufflers do tame the off road h pipe. I'm not short shifting shy of 2500 RPMs anymore and can carry a conversation on the highway at 80 MPH cuse the car sounds like stock but kicked up 2 notches.

Put it to you this way, the stock muffler/off road H pipe is a couple steps down on the volume and power meter Pypes Violators with the stock catted h pipe. Compared to the Violators and the off road pipe, my current setup is downright factory like in the tone and volume. If anybody ran Dynomax super turbo mufflers with off road pipes on their 5.0's back in the day, this sound is very close. It's a bit hollow sounding, not very deep, muted down low and under cruise but opens up nicely above 3000 RPM's and at WOT. If I can get something a bit deeper, slightly more pronounced and maybe a notch up in volume, I'd be a happy camper.....I just don't think it will happen without trying out several axle back systems.
I was an "o/r h-pipe w/ 2 chamber flows" kind of guy, but I can definitely relate to the sound that you're referring to - thanks for the description!!

Old 11-19-2006, 10:38 AM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

iam thinkin about a offroad X pipe with slp loudmouths does anyone know where i can get a clip so i can hear it?
I had that setup and it sounded horrible. There was bad trumpeting at 2500 rpm. I went back with the slp catted x-pipe. It sounds much better with no trumpets.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I like the XM radio too much to compete with an exhaust. I know my car is fast...don't need to be "in the face" of everyone else on the road. Also, I leave the house at 4:30am and have to go up a hill on my street. so i risk having rocks/eggs thrown at me!!