Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

Jay: awesome to hear you havea smile on your face!!! I hope it remains. Can you tell me which holes in the bar you used? Locktite? Any problems with the install? I've had that stupid god-forsaken bar on and off of there several times and empathize with anybody who's messing about with it!

Wolfey: i hope that super support you're having made works once and for all!!!
Yep, I am pretty sure it will work as it is the missing link on the stock coupes and Capser did the same thing and the thunk went away!
I'll keep yall posted!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Jay and who ever else has one. Is that anti-sway bar really solid bar stock or a hollow tube bent and flattededn on the ends like Ford's stock bar?
How much more does it weigh?
I mean, perhaps if there is enough length on the flats of the stock bar, I can just drill a hole to stiffen up the ride that way....an idear at least.
Same result unless the new bar is made of higher grade material or something.
Anyone know?
Jay, you got any side by side pics of the two bars? If not, no biggie.I know you installed it already.

Wolfey2k
Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
vladimirmaleev

wuzzzzup
hey i called the dealer today to ask them about that cross member that the other cars were missing that someone posted the 2 different pictures with the schematics and they told me that this cross member part wasONLY listed for convertibles because the convertibles dont have the roof and dont have nothing to keep the body from twisting thats what they told me!so,does some of you guys got a convertible with a clanking noise????????
and if it dont they said that this can be instaled on all thecoupes and if the convertibles with this crossmebmer dont have that noise then thats our answer ! i guess.....
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM
FlyingTuna

I have the cross bar installed by the dealer, and IT DIDN'T EVEN SLOW DOWN THE NOISE!!!![:@]
Old 05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Guys, Although Wolfey has driven and talk to many conv owners without noise there have been a couple with the noise. I'll bet there's more in the way of body strength under the floor to really strengthen the chassic up. It looks like chassic strength is a key factor with noise. But I agree with Wolfey too, they should have put that cross bar on our coupes.
I did a cruise about 20 miles to a cruise night (not many cars so left soon) and I did hear the thunking noise but different. It seems at slower speeds than before. But I did go a on a15 mileback road cruise @ 40mphand only heard it once on some ripples. But the noise is still there. Unfortunatly. I'm going to do a longer cruise tomorrow and try to pin down the speeds etc.
Northy I did the holes you mentioned toward the front but it is a little stiff. No lean that for sure. I think I'll move toward the back holes for a try. Anyway it was worth it for me, but like we mentioned a bunch of times, what works for one might not work for another.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Tuna, That's what I'm leaning toward. We can put on all the chassic braces on the market and if we don't fix the problem, we won't fix the noise.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
FlyingTuna

The more I read about all the different changes everyone has tried, I'm convinced it's the strut and or upper mount. There is just too much play in them. I can't afford to do a swap out for competition or aftermarket parts. SOOOOOOO I'M STUCK WAITING FOR THE PHANTOM TSB.

Does anyone have an name and address at Ford MFG Motherland I can write a complaint?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh and it is a "solid" swaybar Wolfey, no tube at all. Oh and Tuna, I have the G-Trac brace, Radiator Support Braces, Solid Swaybar & Strut Tower Brace trying to stiffen it up. Lot of money with no success yet.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya Tuna, look back a page or two back. I wrote a letter to Bill Ford last night looking for answers. I listed his mailing address if your interested.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

wolfey i'm sorry i don't know the dimensions/weight/materials differences in the OEM and aftermarket bars. i know the OEM one has shorter "flat" parts on the end, but i think there's enough to put another hole in there.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise