Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Oh and to finish it up. I agree with Tuna and others. I'll bet our rute cause is the upper mount & struts. If we don't replace them, we could just weld the whole car up solid and it will still thunk. So I'm going to wait for an answer from Bill Ford. If he's an honest guy and put his foot down and just tell us "yes there's a fix coming xx/xx/07 I'll wait. But if it's a BS answer of "under investagation" again, I'm just going to get some Bilsteins and screw um. I just want a normal car.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
vladimirmaleev

you can get the bilsteins but will that help?if it does i'll get them tonight
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well there have been a few people that mention good luck with some struts. Tokico's and Bistein HD's. I'm sure there might be others.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

But that's what others said. I hate to refer items to people that I haven't tried myself.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Northy, what struts do you have?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
vladimirmaleev

those struts do they come with their own hardare because i had shocks on my truck installed with smaller bolts by some idiot and it was making the same thunking noise but when i got the right size bolts to fit the shoks struts it all gone.and those struts are they pretty easy to change and will you have to go to get alligment after that
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

That's one of the problems so far, we haven't found a good replacement upper bearing mount. Steeda makes a good one but it cost $300. I've searched recentlyand no one makes a basic one. I wouldn't mind paying $100/pr but $300 is a lot. I'll have trouble affording the Bilsteins.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Got_Stang?

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: Got_Stang?

Jay, glad to hear on the huge improvement with the swaybar.
I also wanted to let you guys know that my Stang finally came in today and is being prepped for me as we speak, have to go pick it up around 6PM. Anyway, I stopped by earlier just to check it out and I looked underneath and sure enough, mine has the cross member brace mounted on it.....it's an '07 coupe.
Interesting! That's the 2nd report I've see on the cross member being on a delux coupe or GT.

What is your production date? Is it April like the other one that reported that the cross member is there?

Ford must really be paying attention to our issue then since it seem that they are now including the cross member. I bet they are still using the same chepo strut mount though.

Let us know what your production date is would you? That would be great to know.

I'm going to go to a dealer and do some investigation to see if any of their latest production stangs have the cross member.

Vally intalesting indeed!
Okay, on the sticker inside the door jam, it says April 2007.
That would be it right? There isn't like an actual date eg: April 10, 2007....correct?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 PM
07TGMGT

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: Got_Stang?

Jay, glad to hear on the huge improvement with the swaybar.
I also wanted to let you guys know that my Stang finally came in today and is being prepped for me as we speak, have to go pick it up around 6PM. Anyway, I stopped by earlier just to check it out and I looked underneath and sure enough, mine has the cross member brace mounted on it.....it's an '07 coupe.
Interesting! That's the 2nd report I've see on the cross member being on a delux coupe or GT.

What is your production date? Is it April like the other one that reported that the cross member is there?

Ford must really be paying attention to our issue then since it seem that they are now including the cross member. I bet they are still using the same chepo strut mount though.

Let us know what your production date is would you? That would be great to know.

I'm going to go to a dealer and do some investigation to see if any of their latest production stangs have the cross member.

Vally intalesting indeed!
Hello guys.
New Mustang owner and first post.
I have a 07 GT Premium Coupe. Got it April 18th. It was built in April and does have the cross member!
It only has 200 miles on it. Got it right off the truck with 3 miles on it. So far (knock on wood) no clunking sound.
Great forum, lots of questions answered here.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Okay, well that makes 3!
Thanks for your input 07TGMGT.
3 mustangs probably all built recently, like this past April which means that Ford should be coming out with the TSB very soon!

Why? Well I talked to Howard, my service manager this afternoon. Told him what's up with 'stangs being built as of April as they are coming with the cross member what was previously left out of earlier coupes.

He said "well that makes sense and I would expect that". I asked why. He said "well they always start installing upgrades in production runs first, then they issue a TSB if necessary for previous production runs and in this case they are issuing one I'm sure".

Okay, so that's it. I am going to go to the dealer where I purchased my car late this week or early next as the sales manager says that they have a batch of GT's and V6 coupes coming in the next couple days or so. I'm going to go and look under them and see if they have the cross member. I bet they will if they have a production date of April. I wonder if March production stang coupe'shave them. We'll see!

I should have my newly made cross member installed by tomorrow evening or Friday latest.
Wish me luck!

Wolfey2k

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise