Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Ya I have August 06 on thedoor jam.
So Jay what do you thunk, I mean think about 8/06?
Mine is 8/06 also.
Thunk=yes [:@]
Leak=no
I mailed my Bill Ford letter yesterday, and CC'd the dealer.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Same here RLS, Thunker & no leaks. Actually just the bad battery a month after I got it and of course the dreaded thunk the day I picked it up.
Glad you sent a letter too. I wish more would step up and do it. ButI got a feeling only a half a dozen of us will. Maybe we'll be the only ones to get the fix. lol
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM
FlyingTuna

I gave a call to the customer care center today. Turns out they already had my VIN# under investigation, whatever that means. Talked to them for a while and gave them an "official" complaint. Alsosent the complaint in via the web site. They said the local engineer rep would contact me. Also talked to the local svc mgr again. He is calling the engineer and setting up a test drive with the engineer, svc mgr, and myself. Explained that the local dealer is trying to fix it, but doesn't know what else to try without engineering support. I'll give you a shout when the next step in futility is made.

Summary: 2007 GT Coupe Premium California Special.
Picked up the car on 12/15/06. Mfg date 6/06. Delivered mileage 460.
Clunking and rattle from front right at speeds under 35mph.

Returned car to dealer 12/18/06. Dealer replaced right front strut. Said strut was broken.
Repaired loose fuse box cover with stock repair kit.
Clunk remained.

Returned car to dealer at 1500 mi. Replaced right front strut and upper strut mount. Adjusted loose hood restraining springs. Replaced trunk lock inside cover.
Clunk even louder.

3/7/07 Returned car to dealer at 3000 mi. Installed front anti-sway bar (same part as on convertible)
Clunk remained. Svc Manager says he wants to continue to leave open work order for repair.
I told Svc mgr to check on TSB. He has put in inquiry to Detroit engineering. Still no word on TSB.

5/3/07 5500 miles. Driving my self nuts listening to the clunk. Called Customer Care. Told I would hear from engineering or ??? within 2 days. Told an engineer had already been assigned to my VIN# complaint.
Called local svc. He is calling for the local support engineer to check out the well documented problem.

5/3/07 - Sitting here wondering why I even thought about buying a "Quality is #1" Ford.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
skorch52

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang
... I took it off to have it notched for a plenum cover and the noise returned. This morning I installed it back on (weld shop did a great job) and the noise is gone on small ripples/bumps. So for me anyways a BMR strut tower brace was a great item.
How involved was notching the brace? I've heard you could shim it up with spacers... but then it would rub on the hood pad right? I want a brace but dont' want to lose my plenum cover. Don't suppose you have a pic of the notched brace???[sm=helpout.gif]
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

fill me in here: do ANY of the strut braces work with the plenum cover? do you already have one? it seems like somebody makes a brace that works with the plenum cover!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Guys, Tuna make sure you drive and find a road nere the dealer that has a bunch of bumps, then do the course yourself first so you'll know exactly what to hit and tell them "ok quite, hear it? You know what I mean. The first time I took the mechanic he kept talking when hitting the bumps, but he did hear them.
As far as the strut tower brace, I got the BMR V8 w/plenum cover. Part # STB011 Now I have a V6 and they weren't sure if it would work so I ordered it anyway. It was only 1/4 inch from the top of intake manifold believe it or not. The plenum cover is 3/16 thick.But the strut tower brace looked strong and already helped with the noise so I wasn't sending it back. So I measured and had the weld shop cut out 3/4 off the bottom by 10 1/2" long at angle ends and welded in a piece of flat steel stockso it is real strong. And I painted it the car color and it came out great. You guys, I think have V8's anyway so you'll like the BMR brace. I saw a Shelby GT500 down at the dealer and it's brace is not as strong as this one. That just had a small tube with a bunch of bends.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh and Tuna, That's good that when they punch up our VIN#'s for the problem it shows up. That way when Bill Ford wants to see our car problem he punches up our VIN and knows we're not talking out our butts. "It's Documented" and he'd know in my case, that I've delt with it for over 8 months now. Now a month ago I delt with the regional engineer and he was fully aware of the problem and told me a TSB release of May15th to June 15th. But I think this was an estimated guess. Because he was stating "oh they have tests and paperwork and lawyers and accountants to go through." Now the fact that when Wolfey got the negitive response of "don't bother us anymore" really puts doubt on the subject. It kind of tells me there's a roadblock. Be it the pencil pushers (accounting) don't want to pay or some corporate level "hold" on it, I don't know. Maybe Bill Ford just needs these letters I started to push him over the edge and let him know that "we" still want our cars fixed. We didn't go away, we didn't sell them, we just want the new car that we all paid for.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh Skorch, Sorry I don't have the picture of it yet. But check out BMR website. They have a good picture. Part # STB011
Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Hi fellas, I have been off the forums for almost a month, and was very disappointed to come back and see that there still is no resolution from Ford on this...am I surprised? Hm...nope.

I wanted to report that since the weather has gotten warmer here, my clunk/thunk is 90% diminished (which really pisses me off because I have 24k on the car, and by next winter when the techs can actually hear the problem, I'll probably be out of warranty...good times!). Anyway, it is seriously dependant on temperature with my car, although I think last time this was mentioned there were others that downed it, which means that it's probably different for different cars/people.

Keep up the good fight!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Zrz11386
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys i have a 06 V6 and i have the thunking in hot/cold/day/night, whatever....took it to the dealer and was told "were looking into it, cant do anything about it right now".....took it to another dealer and was told the same thing, but this time they took my VIN and said they'd keep a file of it. I would love to write a letter to Bill Ford, so if any of the guys who have the address they sent it to, if you could post it so i could write him one id really appreciate it, thanks to everyone whose out there fightin the same battle as me.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise