Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Pardon my ignorance but who is Crazy Al? But hey, we'll take anybody that can help us solve our(Ford's) problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Why in the world would Ford release a vehicle with known problems like a rattling, thunking, clunking front suspension?
Heh, a little thing called Cost-Benefit Analysis, I'm afraid. Ford knew about the problem, but came to the conclusion that halting/delaying production on the vehicles to fix this problem would lose them more money than if they shipped the defective product and dealt with it later.

...fast forward several months...

People start to realize that their new cars should not be making this noise. Ford knows about the issue but since money is tight and people haven't been complaining too much, they haven't been progressing at all on a fix/solution. Eventually enough people start bringing it up so that Ford changes it's position (internally, of course, because officially they probably STILL aren't admitting a problem) and starts researching a fix. Sadly, there are probably 1) not too many people or resources on this project, and 2) lots and lots of tests to run before they can figure out whats going on.

It's business, folks. It's crappy, but it happens all the time. In my business, software gets shipped with known problems all the time. Some of those problems actually get priority and get resolved quickly, and far too many others get documented and put into a black hole of a defect tracking system. Why does it get shipped? The benefit of doing so outweighed the cost of not doing so.

You probably weren't expecting anyone to actually "answer" that question, did you?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HypromanGT

Why in the world would Ford release a vehicle with known problems like a rattling, thunking, clunking front suspension?
Heh, a little thing called Cost-Benefit Analysis, I'm afraid. Ford knew about the problem, but came to the conclusion that halting/delaying production on the vehicles to fix this problem would lose them more money than if they shipped the defective product and dealt with it later.

...fast forward several months...

People start to realize that their new cars should not be making this noise. Ford knows about the issue but since money is tight and people haven't been complaining too much, they haven't been progressing at all on a fix/solution. Eventually enough people start bringing it up so that Ford changes it's position (internally, of course, because officially they probably STILL aren't admitting a problem) and starts researching a fix. Sadly, there are probably 1) not too many people or resources on this project, and 2) lots and lots of tests to run before they can figure out whats going on.

It's business, folks. It's crappy, but it happens all the time. In my business, software gets shipped with known problems all the time. Some of those problems actually get priority and get resolved quickly, and far too many others get documented and put into a black hole of a defect tracking system. Why does it get shipped? The benefit of doing so outweighed the cost of not doing so.

You probably weren't expecting anyone to actually "answer" that question, did you?
Correct, the question was qualified as rhetorical. However, it's good you explained it the way you did. All too true! I am sure others will gain valuable knowledge about how things work with regard tointelligence and ethics challengedcorporate thinkingness and doingness!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Alright, I wrote and invited CrazyAl to join us and see what he can do to help us figure out the correct fix.
I have been lurking on another thread on and off for a while.
There's been some interesting reading there, especially today.
Check out this post, https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=3205635
Subject, LCA Clunking Noise Source Found.
Give it a good read through and tell me what you think.
Also we might want to join them or have them join us.
Who knows, the answer might be just around the bend,,or still blowin in the wind ;-)..
Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I don't know who the Crazy Al you referred to either. Hey if someone wants to join the thunking club it's ok. I'm sure we have a line on the problem. (struts & upper mounts) If it didn't cost so much money to fix, we would have told Ford to shove it and fixed it ourselves long ago. Plus it's being able to find quality parts. Sure there are good struts available for over $400/pr. And the only good upper mount is the Steeda HD for $300/pr. $700 plus labor and tax is a lot of money for me. Maybe pocket change for some of you. If we knew we could go buy Monroe struts for $150 and get a couple good mounts for $50 and "work" we all would do it. But I'm afraid the Monroes are made to Ford specs and might have the same problem. And every week I search for upper mount at different jobbers (part stores) and nobody makes them yet for our cars because there so new. Yes I ask for 05's.
Why would Ford release a thunking car? Who knows. It probably was designed mostly on a computer, Obviously the couple test vehicles didn't thunk right away. Or the test track was too smooth to produce the thunking. Since the 05's have the noise I believe ford researched the fix back then and probably said BS it's just a noise issue and screw the customers. They probably figured out that it's a costly fix back in 05 and didn't want to spend the money. Now it's June 06, they just started production of the new 07 model and have a new designed strut. (production date of 07 strut is 06/05/06.But that doesn't fix the problem. So now it's us. We've complained to Ford service dept, customer service, dealership owners, Board of Directors and now to Bill Ford himself.
So at this point is to have Ford either fix our cars or tell us their not. No more BS. They have the fix ready. There's no testing, no paperwork, no lawyers, nothing is in it's way except Bill Ford to say "Fix Their Cars." But we have the pencil pushers in accounting telling him "no it costs too much." Let them "live with it." So that it, it boils down to one person. Will he step up and sign the TSB release or not. If he doesn't, First I'll blame Ford for the BS in the first place, Second I'll blame all the people that did nothing. This was obviously a problem that sat on the edge of the desk, ready to fall in the garbage unless people got involved and pushed it into the middle of the desk. Got their attention in other words.
Well, it felt good to vent anyway.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya Wolfey I read that post. It's all what we know already. Crappy upper mount. Even in my research businesseshave been told by Ford to never reuse a upper mount. Because it's crap and won't work properly again or fall apart. We had one of the thread people take it off his car and fall apart on the floor. Our problem has nothing to do with the driveshaft and the guy is right. Suspension items not properly installed can cause trouble. I remember in the old days when replacing control arm bushings if they weren't seated correctly they could pop out or if you tightened down control arms before the car was back on the suspension you could have trouble leaning etc. Every parts store I'm at I tell them to call there upper mount manufactor all tell them to design a good one for our Mustangs and they'll make a fortune in a couple months.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I just read through the warrenty book and don't see anything about noises, rattles & sqeaks. That must have been something I read withthe Chevy truck I bought new in 99 that I had noise problems with, that I figured out and fixed myself. Ford is trying to cover it's butt though with engine mods. Says how they void the warrenty. But it says about body, chassic mods that alter the suspension void it. So that's in line with what my dealer service said "as long as your not lowering it and using replacement type parts it's ok and strengthening the chassic is ok as long as your not altering it." So a coil-over spring/shock setup would void but a replacement type strut like a Monroe or Bilstein is ok. Still wish I could find some cheaper cost upper mounts than the Steedas. Like I mentioned in the other post:
$426 Bilsteins HD's
$299 Steeda HD upper mounts
$30 Shipping for above parts
$150 For 2 1/2 hours Labor Installation
$40 Alignment
$945 Total

Now you can all agree that's an awful lot of money out of our pockets,to fix something that Ford should be doing under warrenty. As I was trying to say before, if we could do it for $300-$350 ourselves, I'm sure most of us would have done it 6 months ago.

Edit: I wanted to add that this it a personal assumption that this will cure what ails "my" car. I'm in no way telling people what to replace on their cars, I wouldn't do that unless I did it myself first.I already did all the chassic strengthening available for my car. The struts, upper mounts are what's left. I personaly don't like the fluidrear front control arm bushing and would change that too.(cold weather factor)No one else has an opinion on that part.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Interesting, I have a 2007 convertible and have the issue on my passenger side. Will need to bring it in.

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Hello gentlemen and ladies if there are any out here ;-).
I spent the better part of today at my favorite dealer where I have made friends with some of the mech's and service manager as we all like to tell old autoshop war stories and so on.

Okay, while I was hanging out with the guys, the service manager asked me how it's going with the clunking problem. I told him it's still there and I was about to come see him about it so we can get hold of Ford's engineering dept. and see if they are aware of it.

He has to log on to their exclusive dealer only assistance hotline. Waited for him to jump through all the hoops to get to the section where he fills out a form that asks specific questions regaring customer vehicle complaints.

Here's a typed copy of the Q&A. Enjoy and rejoice my friends! Help is on the way! Finally!

REQUEST FOR DETAILS:
DISCRIPTION OF VEHICLE CONCERN:
clunking noise over small road deflections at low speeds.

DIAGNOSIS PERFORMED:
visual inspection of all suspension components.

PARTS REPLACED:
front strut assemblies at earlier service visit.

QUESTION: WERE YOU ABLE TO VERIFY THE CONCERN?
ANSWER: Yes

QUESTION: Is there an appropriate pinpoint test in the WSM for this concern?
ANSWER: No

QUESTION: Was the pinpoint test followed?
ANSWER

TECH'S QUESTION:
information to assist in better diagnnosis of concern

HOTLINE RECOMENDATION
get off your fat enginering asses and come up with a fix for this friggin problem! < just kidding, I added that ;-).
(note, at this point the service manager clicks on send, waits a few seconds and Ford spits out a phone number for him to call. Evidently the number is for the specific person or team addressing this problem at Ford engineering.
Then he's sent a LOG of the call and a summary of their conversation as written below.

CALL LOG:

CALLS TO HOTLINE FOR THIS VEHICLE (he entered my VIN and some other data at the beginning of the hoops)

1/16/07 12:15 PM - TECH SAID:
NOISE IN RIGHT FRONT OVER BUMPS AT LOW SPEED. THE STRUTS HAVE BEEN ISOLATED TO NOISE, COMPARES TO OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED IN THE PAST.

1/16/07 12:15 PM - HOTLINE RECOMENDED:
ADVISED DEALER THAT THE ISSUE IS BEING LOOKED INTO AT THE ENGINEERING LEVEL. CONVERTABLE MUSTANGS HAVE ALL THE SAME PARTS BUT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE NOISE, SO THEY ARE EVALUATING THE SUBFRAME CONNECTORS AS A POSSIBLE FIX AS WELL AS THE STRUT MOUNTS.
THESE ISSUES HAVE TO BE EVALUATED FOR ROBUST FIX AND CRASH TESTED, SO THE REPAIR MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE, BUT THE FIX IS COMING IN THE FORM OF A TSB OR SSM. THE ISSUE IS NOT STRUCTURAL AND IS ONLY COSMETIC AND IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE. WAIT FORM MESSAGE TO MAKE REPAIRS.
THANK YOU!
END OF MESSAGE.

Now I talked with the service manager a bit more analysing what they were saying regarding it only being a cosmetic issue?

He said that they consider it so because it's nothing that is dangerous. It is an cosmetic issue because it is only an annoyance issue.
Well that makes sense to me as much as I hate to admit it but they are right.
He showed me a blueprint of the subframe to body connections. They are bolts with hard rubber bushings around them with a metal shaft up the middle as with most frame to body bushings on any vehicle. They are small ones, not the huge ones you see on other vehicles.

My theory is that the subframe is flexing to the degree that it allows a tiny bit of side play (normal as that's what the bushings are there for), but the side play is sufficient enough to be a concern or possible cause. The strut bearings are an obvious issue. No need for analyzation. If there is any end play in the bearing i.e. up and down play, it's going to thunk!
That's the story folks. Problem solved....almost!

Anyway, I'm happy that Ford is on top of it and we will soon see a TSB out on the issue with the correct and permanent fix!

Look forward to it I'd guess within the next few weeks to few months!
Wolfey2k

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Yah it is interesting since all of the convertables I test drove had anywhere from 10 to 15K miles on them and none of them had the thunking problem.
Your car most likely is suffering from some other issue causing a noise problem.
Take it to your dealer and have it looked into. They'll probably find something lose, tighten it and you'll be good to go.
Let us know how it goes.

ORIGINAL: siggy14

Interesting, I have a 2007 convertible and have the issue on my passenger side. Will need to bring it in.

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Hello gentlemen and ladies if there are any out here ;-).
I spent the better part of today at my favorite dealer where I have made friends with some of the mech's and service manager as we all like to tell old autoshop war stories and so on.

Okay, while I was hanging out with the guys, the service manager asked me how it's going with the clunking problem. I told him it's still there and I was about to come see him about it so we can get hold of Ford's engineering dept. and see if they are aware of it.

He has to log on to their exclusive dealer only assistance hotline. Waited for him to jump through all the hoops to get to the section where he fills out a form that asks specific questions regaring customer vehicle complaints.

Here's a typed copy of the Q&A. Enjoy and rejoice my friends! Help is on the way! Finally!

REQUEST FOR DETAILS:
DISCRIPTION OF VEHICLE CONCERN:
clunking noise over small road deflections at low speeds.

DIAGNOSIS PERFORMED:
visual inspection of all suspension components.

PARTS REPLACED:
front strut assemblies at earlier service visit.

QUESTION: WERE YOU ABLE TO VERIFY THE CONCERN?
ANSWER: Yes

QUESTION: Is there an appropriate pinpoint test in the WSM for this concern?
ANSWER: No

QUESTION: Was the pinpoint test followed?
ANSWER

TECH'S QUESTION:
information to assist in better diagnnosis of concern

HOTLINE RECOMENDATION
get off your fat enginering asses and come up with a fix for this friggin problem! < just kidding, I added that ;-).
(note, at this point the service manager clicks on send, waits a few seconds and Ford spits out a phone number for him to call. Evidently the number is for the specific person or team addressing this problem at Ford engineering.
Then he's sent a LOG of the call and a summary of their conversation as written below.

CALL LOG:

CALLS TO HOTLINE FOR THIS VEHICLE (he entered my VIN and some other data at the beginning of the hoops)

1/16/07 12:15 PM - TECH SAID:
NOISE IN RIGHT FRONT OVER BUMPS AT LOW SPEED. THE STRUTS HAVE BEEN ISOLATED TO NOISE, COMPARES TO OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED IN THE PAST.

1/16/07 12:15 PM - HOTLINE RECOMENDED:
ADVISED DEALER THAT THE ISSUE IS BEING LOOKED INTO AT THE ENGINEERING LEVEL. CONVERTABLE MUSTANGS HAVE ALL THE SAME PARTS BUT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE NOISE, SO THEY ARE EVALUATING THE SUBFRAME CONNECTORS AS A POSSIBLE FIX AS WELL AS THE STRUT MOUNTS.
THESE ISSUES HAVE TO BE EVALUATED FOR ROBUST FIX AND CRASH TESTED, SO THE REPAIR MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE, BUT THE FIX IS COMING IN THE FORM OF A TSB OR SSM. THE ISSUE IS NOT STRUCTURAL AND IS ONLY COSMETIC AND IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE. WAIT FORM MESSAGE TO MAKE REPAIRS.
THANK YOU!
END OF MESSAGE.

Now I talked with the service manager a bit more analysing what they were saying regarding it only being a cosmetic issue?

He said that they consider it so because it's nothing that is dangerous. It is an cosmetic issue because it is only an annoyance issue.
Well that makes sense to me as much as I hate to admit it but they are right.
He showed me a blueprint of the subframe to body connections. They are bolts with hard rubber bushings around them with a metal shaft up the middle as with most frame to body bushings on any vehicle. They are small ones, not the huge ones you see on other vehicles.

My theory is that the subframe is flexing to the degree that it allows a tiny bit of side play (normal as that's what the bushings are there for), but the side play is sufficient enough to be a concern or possible cause. The strut bearings are an obvious issue. No need for analyzation. If there is any end play in the bearing i.e. up and down play, it's going to thunk!
That's the story folks. Problem solved....almost!

Anyway, I'm happy that Ford is on top of it and we will soon see a TSB out on the issue with the correct and permanent fix!

Look forward to it I'd guess within the next few weeks to few months!
Wolfey2k

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

My new '07 makes this noise. I first atributed it to the hardness of the tires. I mean, those things only have about a 2 inch shoulder on them so they have to be stiff. But I know what you all mean. My old '67 did the same thing. Glad they are looking into it.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise