Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Now Wolfey will chime in on this, but the assumption was chassic stiffening was needed to quite the noise.Most but not all the conv don't have the noise and when you look at the front K-member the crossbrace is what's missing between the conv and coupes. But obviously the conv have more chassic strengthening between the wheels (front to back) to help with total chassic strength. So anyways myself and others have put on factory and homemade (stronger) crossbraces and most didn't work. I think it helped only one with low mileage. All the strengthening I did on my car helped turn down the voluum of the noise but it's still there and annoying.
I was just at my dealer again and talked about the problem. First thing is nothing on the computer as far as TSB/SSM release. No indications of even working on it. Second they recieved a copy of my letter to Bill Ford, so it didn't end up in the shreader. But I'm still waiting to hear anything from him. Third they want to help me fix it saying that if in a month, nothing from Ford,they'll talk it over with Detroit techrep and try to fix it. So maybe they got a BS response from Ford along with the copy of my letter sounding not to good for a TSBon the problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Gidy, It' back were the front K-member spreads to mount to the floor. Look under the back side of the front wheeland you'll see a flat metal surface with 2 holes on each side, 27 inches apart. That's were it mounts. Factory is a tube, flatten on each end about 4 inches with the 2 holes on each side. I made one out of solid steel 1 1/4 thick, milled flat in the middle. I have that plus the aftermarket G-Trac brace that mounts to the inner control arm bushing bolts, so mine is stronger than stock.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

it seems as if the problem is both the strut mounts AND the a-arm brace. who knows?

i did confirm for myself that the post-April built stangs have the brace. looked at some last week at a dealership. it's true. the one with the brace was a pony package v6 built 4-10-07. the others have been languishing on the lot for a while with much older build dates and no braces.

What does this brace look like and where is it located?
Hey GidyupGo.
Jays Mustang is our local librarian and knows more about where things are in this thread than anyone else does. Northy_Polk has been keeping tabs on how many thunker members we have along the way. I am the trouble maker as I am the one that started this thread long ago and have been dubbed Mr. Calm in that I keep telling Jay not to jump out the 50th floor window yet and wait for Ford to caugh up the TSB which seems to keep aluding us as they keep pushing the TSB release date up.
At this point I have to admit Ford has finally begun to wear my nerves thin! So it's getting close to time to start hammering the crap out of Ford in what ever way I/we can to FORCE them to caugh up the TSB. The cat's been out of the bag for some months now and Ford knows we know they know about the problem.

Ford says they are addressing and testing the issue and want to be darn sure they have solved the problem before releasing the TSB to us pre-April '07 coupe owners. Could be true. Sounds reasonable enough or it could just be another stall tactic the suits have come up with to keep us pissed off thunker haters at bay until they can force warranty's to expire on a number of cars to save money! Ford is not doing very well financially and I am sure they are scrambling to save as much money as they can.

Anyway, Jay,,,,,you have the comm. Will you tell Gidyup what posts to look at to get his questions answered? The posts with the pics of the cross member seem to be eluding me.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.

Wolfey2k

Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Hi Gidy, It' back were the front K-member spreads to mount to the floor. Look under the back side of the front wheeland you'll see a flat metal surface with 2 holes on each side, 27 inches apart. That's were it mounts. Factory is a tube, flatten on each end about 4 inches with the 2 holes on each side. I made one out of solid steel 1 1/4 thick, milled flat in the middle. I have that plus the aftermarket G-Trac brace that mounts to the inner control arm bushing bolts, so mine is stronger than stock.

Thanks for the reply. My wife has the GT off to work so I will have to see when she gets home tonight. I was laying on my side the other night with a flashlight just admiring everything under there, and I think I saw the brace you described on my March '07 build
Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

it seems as if the problem is both the strut mounts AND the a-arm brace. who knows?

i did confirm for myself that the post-April built stangs have the brace. looked at some last week at a dealership. it's true. the one with the brace was a pony package v6 built 4-10-07. the others have been languishing on the lot for a while with much older build dates and no braces.
That seems to be the case. The two you mention are what I was told way back when,,,posts and posts ago. However, now it seems Ford may be looking at sub-frame connector problems. I am not quite sure why because as far as I know they are all SOLID connections.

I had suspected the sub-frame to body connections closest to the front wheels before. There is a gap there between the sub-frame mount and the body where it bolts up to. Would be a good source for the thunking noise as it does seem this sound eludes most who try to get rid of it. Still yet a couple others have reported completely eliminating the thunk with new strut assemblies and cross members.
Maybe they just made the thunk so quiet they can't hear it anymore. Who knows. I can hear it no matter how quiet it gets. If it's there I'll here it for sure which is no blessing, let me tell ya! ;-[
Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I wish I had a digital camera, I'd take pics of my setup. It looks mean with both the crossbraces next to each other. Wolfey just in case were's that 50th floor. LOL.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

That seems to be the case. The two you mention are what I was told way back when,,,posts and posts ago. However, now it seems Ford may be looking at sub-frame connector problems. I am not quite sure why because as far as I know they are all SOLID connections.

I had suspected the sub-frame to body connections closest to the front wheels before. There is a gap there between the sub-frame mount and the body where it bolts up to. Would be a good source for the thunking noise as it does seem this sound eludes most who try to get rid of it. Still yet a couple others have reported completely eliminating the thunk with new strut assemblies and cross members.
Maybe they just made the thunk so quiet they can't hear it anymore. Who knows. I can hear it no matter how quiet it gets. If it's there I'll here it for sure which is no blessing, let me tell ya! ;-[

Well, it was my thinking that they were talking sub frame connectors because going back to the Vert that doesn't thunk. Maybe the TSB will be we all get a vert undercarriage. NOT!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Gidy, I guess if you think you saw the crossbrace on your Mustang and still have the noise, than that proves there quick-fix of the brace isn't working. Come on Ford, how about some new upper mounts & struts. Fix us and will shut up.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure it was there. About a 1 inch rod or pipe going from side to side. Not the sway bar. I know what those are. This was sort of in the vacinity of the oil pan
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Yea, I'm pretty sure it was there. About a 1 inch rod or pipe going from side to side. Not the sway bar. I know what those are. This was sort of in the vacinity of the oil pan
Hey Gidyup,
your production date is March of 07. As far as I know Ford didn't start releasing the cross member on coupes until early April. I guess it's possible they started late March. It's also possible that the dealer got the heads up on the upgradeand installed it in their shop before selling it to you.
Are you positive your car has the cross member?
I thought that Jay would tell you what pages or post's in the thread have pictures of the cross memberand where it's located so you can be 100%sure it's the same thing.
Jay, you know where those pics are in here. Please look them up and tell uswhere they are..refresh our memories. I am too lazy to look again. I spent about 10 minutes looking but can't locate them.

I swear, I hope that Ford's fix works!If it doesn't I won't be surprised but I amkeeping myfingers crossed.Chances are Ford is cutting corners and not upgrading the strut assemblies etc. and most of us who have added our own cross members that still have the thunk can easily assume Ford addingjust the cross memberdoes not solve the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise