Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

FORD used to use "Quality Is Job One". We don't hear that anymore.
Now they can only say,
"The Sale Is Job One!" "We Worry About Quality Later But We'll Get It Fixed If You Bitch Long Enough!"
Sucks big time!
I don't like paying a shiz pile of money for a car then discovering I baught ankindah sortahlemon!
From now on if I buy any more Ford's, I'll be sure to demand a few to several hundred miles of test driving in a demo car before I purchase one of my own.
Also I realize if I had waited until now, the thunking issue would be solved and I could have purchased an '07GT for at least 8K under MSRP!
Don't get me wrong though, I love my pony just the way she is. ;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys, I'm still here and still willing to help anyone having issues with the dealers. I've already asked for dealer information from those that have PM'd me for help. To date the only one who's actually done that is wolfy. Please don't PM me until you've tried at least 2 dealers because I know how stubborn some of them are.

PS. I may be leaving Ford for another opportunity outside of the company.....I'll know for sure tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM
mvon919

Steeda HD mounts come without the rubber isolator. You're supposed to use the OEM isolator from OEM Mount with Steeda pieces. Apparently, if the rubber is weak and THAT is causing the problem I'll take close look and maybe end up using the NEW REVISED rubber isolator WITH Steeda HD Mount. I don't see any weak points in Steeda mounts. I've been PMing with grampa_stang and it seems the new parts CURES the CLUNK... ie. the new rubber is holding up better!

Btw, I just went to my local Stealer. Talked with Service Manager and by the time he found out I'm using non-OEM suspension parts, he said he can't provide work under warranty. I asked if I could get the new mounts free, so I can change them myself, he denied it, but said that when ever there is TSB coming out of this, I have possibility to get reimbursed. I paid $51 a piece, there was 900+ of those in Detroit Warehouse and I'll be getting mine on Monday.

So, next week is I'll be installing these mounts, LPW rear girdle and CHE Axle Brace.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Cool Mvon919.
So are you going to replace the Steeda's with the upgraded OEM mounts or are you going to use the rubber mount off of the OEM's and put them on your Steeda's?
That would indeed be an interesting experiment.

One thing though, I did check for end play in the new assembly compared to the original crappy ones and the new ones have hardly any vertical play at all. Compared to the originals which were sloppy lose -- probably 30 to 50 thousands of an inch -- the new ones weresnug like they should be.

So what's your game plan exactly?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:11 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey Bascho!
Good luck with your career change.
I don't blame you one bit for leaving Ford for somethingbetter.
Hope you stick with us at MF though.
Your help has been invaluable and highly appreciated!
Wolfey2k
Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Hey Bascho!
Good luck with your career change.
I don't blame you one bit for leaving Ford for somethingbetter.
Hope you stick with us at MF though.
Your help has been invaluable and highly appreciated!
Wolfey2k

As long as I own my stangI'll continue to be a member here......I just won't have the inside information I currently have.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
mvon919

I'm planning to keep my Steeda mounts cause they allow camber adjustments. So, I'm planning to use the rubber from the new mount and use it with Steeda mounts. If it fits. Steeda mounts have 0 play any direction.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I took my car in this morning to the same place Wolfey went. We'll see how it all goes. Wish me luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvon919

I don't buy that. I have Steeda HD mounts which are superior in design... the clunk comes back to you after the spring sets in.
i've got the HD mounts too. please explain using this picture what you're talking about. after 1600 posts on this thread i thought we had all determined it was the bearing on the mounts and that's what Ford fixed and you're incorrect about the "seating" issue, but please explain!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Mine's going in tomorrow for the updated top mounts. Fingers crossed

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise