Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 AM
07WhiteV6
1st Gear Member

I'm disgusted with my car. After all of the front end rebuilds, my car STILL has the thunk. It goes away for a couple weeks after the dealer works on it, but it comes right back.

My attorney is working on a resolution with Ford. I'm done with it...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Ok I'm putting in my .02 for what its worth. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Noticed one guy removed the stabilizer bar and the noise went away. Could it have something to do with the bushings in the sway bar links? I just did the GT takeoff swap on springs and struts and mine got louder. I have not replaced the stabilizer with the GT one yet (I have it but haven't had time to do the swap) but I'll note the difference here afterwards. Has anyone thought of mounting a small pinhole or bullet camera looking at the suspension and recording the suspension as it moves then play it back in slow motion. Might be helpful, might be worthless; just a thought.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

this is one long thread...cant believe i never saw it...but now that my car is thunking its a major issue for me...seems like the strut mounts are the problem but i have steeda upper strut mounts and have the thunk...what else can it be???
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve_c
I just started getting the popping noise like in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYc9owpBIY when i put Eibach pro kit springs on the OEM struts so i took the front wheel off and used a pry bar to move the suspension up and down and noticed the sound was coming from the top of the strut possiblt the bearings housing.
so i'm wondering if i put the tokico D-Spec struts on the noise will go away?
Are the smaller than the OEM struts?
The eibach springs seem too small for the OEM struts i didnt have to compress them and it only took a few turns to tighten them maybe there is play in the bearing cap because they are not tight enough.
i have d-specs...and have the thunk...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Ok don't want to make people not like me but my Mustang does not make the suspension noises. Changed the front stabilizer bar today along with rear springs and shocks. Took it out earlier with the top down and its fine and that's riding on Louisiana roads (like the worst in the country). I'm nearing 50K miles so I'm wondering if its going to start. Aw, who knows.

Last edited by kc5mhb; 04-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Mine started making the thunk at around 50,000 miles. I'm wondering if I ran in a nasty pothole that caused it to start making the noise. Mine's very noticeable but not that annoying. If I have radio/iPod on I never notice it. Sound system real low or off I hear it easily. Only in the driver's side front though.

Where the sound comes from can fool you though. I thought it was from the back. But, if you drive and lean over when driving where your head is over the console, you can tell where the noise is coming from better.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mykim72
i have d-specs...and have the thunk...
Went to throw away the old struts and ran across something interesting. The strut boot has a washer assembly made into the boot which shoves down on the strut. There is play in that washer which allows it to knock on the strut rod. That makes me wonder if the washer is causing the noise coupled with the slack in the strut bearing.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kc5mhb
Went to throw away the old struts and ran across something interesting. The strut boot has a washer assembly made into the boot which shoves down on the strut. There is play in that washer which allows it to knock on the strut rod. That makes me wonder if the washer is causing the noise coupled with the slack in the strut bearing.
im going to have to take a look later...

could it also be a bad bearing? or maybe a ball joint?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mykim72
im going to have to take a look later...

could it also be a bad bearing? or maybe a ball joint?
I have noticed that with the wheel turned all the way to the left while backing up I hear a light pop noise maybe once or twice. The change in the position of the wheel geometry would lead me to believe that a control arm bushing or play in the control arm would account for the noise. Still I'm at 50K with the GT take off struts, shocks, springs and stabilizers and no thumping while driving on the street.
I wish I could say the same about the door rattles while the top is down.........
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

i think im going to have to go all out on this...i cant stand this noise anymore!

front control arms and ball joints?

what else could i change to possibly get rid of this noise?

did everyone else fix it?

why is no one posting anymore?

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise