Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM
jodyh

my 01 makes the same noise but i contribute it to be a stiff suspension cause my camaros all had the same noise i had 5 of them ranging from 84 to 2010
Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
HKarl

Default Thunking Noise

I have been chasing this problem in my car for two years and finally found it. Unbelievable, but it was the sway bar bushings. The bushings are solid (They don't have the slit to wrap around the bar like many bushings do). Just take the cap off the bushing. You'll see the tear in the bushing. When you put them on, they'll have to be slid on from the sway bar link end. GOOD LUCK... HKarl
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
pcfithian
1st Gear Member

I had replaced the struts/springs/strut mount as well as the lower control arms a few months ago on our 2006 GT convertible. A thunking noise recently appeared from the right front, so I replaced the sway bar links and tie rod ends.

The front end rides quietly now. I also checked the toe in with a string, and reset the right side a bit to match up with the left side.

Drives perfectly now.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 AM
The Cobra

Default 2005 to 2007 Mustang front end clunk

I bought a 2006 Mustang GT in 2015 with low km's. I noticed a clunk/ lumbering sound on small bumps ( mainly in the right front). It really surprised me that it could have this problem with only 47,000 km on it. Apparently it is very common on the 2005 to 2007 Mustangs. I believed it to be the upper strut mount. I replaced it with one from the dealer part number AD1044. The same noise was there. After more research and coming across a Ford bulletin, the only way to fix it is to put on a strut mount for a 2008 Mustang. The part number is AD1062. The car feels like new. Hopefully this helps out those who have been chasing this issue for some time.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 PM
HKarl

Default Front suspension thinking noise

I finally found the problem with the thinking noise on my '07 GT. It was the front sway bar bushings. You can't see the wear because of the design, but when I took the caps off the bushings, extreme wear was easily seen. Always sounded like strut mounts. Even after replacing struts and mounts. Hope this helps someone.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Black 2001 GT

2006 GT with a very similar "hard," metallic click/clunk going over bumps or into driveways, despite front strut replacement, upper strut mount, ball joints, etc...

Lot's of good data in this thread!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails  2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise-new-bumper.jpg  
Old 05-26-2020, 12:34 AM
Matilda75

Default Thunk n front end

My 09 Mustang does something. I replace the struts, sway bar links, innerainner and outer tie rod ends all in an attempt to get rid of this noise. I still hear the noise every day. Now I guess since reading this I will have to check on upgrading my sway bar. I will let y'all know if that helps.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Matilda75
My 09 Mustang does something. I replace the struts, sway bar links, innerainner and outer tie rod ends all in an attempt to get rid of this noise. I still hear the noise every day. Now I guess since reading this I will have to check on upgrading my sway bar. I will let y'all know if that helps.
You don't need to upgrade the sway bar, just replace the sway bar bushings. Also, do not grease the new bushings when you install them. Grease allows them to slip-n-slide which contributes to the noise. Only if you get Polyurethane aftermarket bushing should you consider it and even then, just a very thin coat of grease is all you need.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM
nawagner

Always double check your end links before doing anything else. Can't tell you how many times I have thought they were tight and they had come loose again. Especially since you replaced them. It might save you a lot of time. Coincidentally, my daughter had a Mariner that was plagued with the same problem. Every time she would call I'd tell her to check the end links. She'd say she did, and then take it in and low and behold the end links would be loose.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:10 AM
Jmgargoyle

Default Convertibles thunk too....

Originally Posted by wolfey2k
Sorry but I disagree completely.
Thumping is not the same as Thunking or Clunking.

We've all heard what a thump sounds like. Thump your fist on a table top. A bass drum makes a thump. The sound barrier when broken makes one heck of a thump if your close enough when it happens. Pound your chest with your fists like a gorilla does. That's a thumping noise, okay? Get the difference?

That's the sound they are discribing. They are talking about hearing the wheels go over expansion joints and/or patching, every seam etc. They are talking about hearing the tires go over these.
The sounds they are talking about are entirely different than what we hear in our coupes.

The thunking / clunking sound we hear is metalic.

The convertables do not make a thunking noise. I have tested a few of them myself and I have at least one testimony from the convertable thread on this forum that there are no thunking noises. Also the Shelby GT500 forum has verified their cars do not exhibit any such noise at all.
Again, the convertables and the GT500's all have the cross member that is otherwisemissing on our coupes.
It would be great if somone found an article on the GT and V6 coupes that states they hear thunking noises. Now that would put a lot of pressure on Ford by itself as they pay attention to national / world wide publications.
I know this is a necro post but I've had this problem too and mine is a 07 convertible and yes it clunks. More so on the passenger side. I've replaced the struts and strut mounts with aftermarkets, replaced sway bar, bushings and end links, the brake calipers and rotors and also the lower a arms all to no avail! I found this thread and got excited that I would finally be able to get it fixed ! But unfortunately due to my OCD, I have to read the whole thread from start to finish and it's now 2am and I'm on post 205 or so? (I feel like I've read a novel at this point! lol) I just couldn't take another post saying this doesn't affect the convertibles and not reply.. (not that anyone else will be reading this 13 years after the fact unless they too suffer from OCD as I do...) Anyways I'll try to finish reading the rest of it in a few hours when I get up But also wanted to say thank you to everyone that has commented, documented, and attempted the various fixes and posted them here! It just goes to show you that you never know just how many people that you have reached and ultimately helped by being members of this group! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise