Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
guydon
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Wow 76 pages and going. This is crazy
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tommyboy45

Does the installation of these new strut mounts require that the front end be re-aligned? I did not see any indication of that procedure on grampa_stang's work order that he posted.
When they replaced mine with the GT500 mounts, they checked the alignment after replacing them. I believe it should be done by the service dept.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Bumping this back up. Got back from San Diego. More on that later. Mine goes in on Tuesday for the thunk.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I wonder why they replaced the end links.
Do they wear out that fast or is there an updated part number for them too they are replacing only if failure is suspected etc?

Anyway, my pony goes in for the new strut bearings tomorrow morning! Yahoo!
I'll let ya'll know how it went.

I'm going to be sure to note on my service request that there are NO scratches anywhere on my car and of course I will double check to make sure the statement is true before hand.

Wolfey2k
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Good luck wolfey, hope it all goes well. As for my scratches, my wife called the dealership
the next day. They said to bring it in.They outsource the body/paint work. Next time I'll do
the "walk around the car" with the svc mgr before handing over the keys. Sheesh, you
wouldn't think you'd have to do that. So,we'll see.

I now find myself "trying" to hit bumps on the passenger side to confirm it's really gone.
It's sounding solid so far, but with the drivers side still thunking it makes it tough.

As far as the endlinks being new part numbers...I dunno, my guy didn't even know
about the new upper mount part number until I told him.

Again, I wish you well. Don't you just HATE leaving your baby with them.

Grampy
Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Thanks Grampy!
Good luck with your baby too.
Wolfey2k
Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Dropped my pony off at the dealer this morning.
Had the service rep show me the work order and it has "install 2 8R3Z-18183-B".
I had the parts guy pull them so I could give them a quick look-see.
They are the same but you can tell the material 'plastic/composite' is different and their is much less vertical play along the pivot shaft. I'd say less than a couple thousandths by the feel of it.
I'll be bach later after I pick her up and go road bump hunting to make sure the thunk is gone!

Wolfey2k
P.S. I talked my salesman into conning a demo car out of the sales manager so I have a ride during the day. I'm driving an Escape. Nice lil twuck! It has the 3.0 6 banger in it. Way lame,,,,of course!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

They are the same but you can tell the material 'plastic/composite' is different and their is much less vertical play along the pivot shaft. I'd say less than a couple thousandths by the feel of it.
I'll be bach later after I pick her up and go road bump hunting to make sure the thunk is gone!

Wolfey2k
P.S. I talked my salesman into conning a demo car out of the sales manager so I have a ride during the day. I'm driving an Escape. Nice lil twuck! It has the 3.0 6 banger in it. Way lame,,,,of course!

Mine is supposed to go in tomorrow at 8:30 AM. When I called the service writer, he told me that 1 of the mounts had been ordered. I told him there should be 2 or 1 pair. He was going to check on it. I just called the parts gal and she was going to check as well and call me back. May have to wait until they get another one in because it is a 25 drive 1 way to the dealership. Don't want to make multiple trips. BUMMER!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Wolfey2k

Mine is supposed to go in tomorrow at 8:30 AM. When I called the service writer, he told me that 1 of the mounts had been ordered. I told him there should be 2 or 1 pair. He was going to check on it. I just called the parts gal and she was going to check as well and call me back. May have to wait until they get another one in because it is a 25 drive 1 way to the dealership. Don't want to make multiple trips. BUMMER!!!
I just got a call from the svc manager and was told that they will be keeping my pony overnight,,,inside,,,because they couldn't get to it today. Evidently ALL of their mechanics leave at 3 P.M.!
What a waste! One would think they'd have shifts broken up so some mech's come in later than others in order to cover the entire day. Of course I am just dreaming when it comes to getting such shops to keep their word and get my car done on time as promised!
I did get a free 2008 Escrape to drive though so I guess I can't whine too much. ;-|
Oh,,,,,,, BITE ME ANYWAY! [:@]j/k......not
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I just got a call from the svc manager and was told that they will be keeping my pony overnight,,,inside,,,because they couldn't get to it today. Evidently ALL of their mechanics leave at 3 P.M.!
What a waste! One would think they'd have shifts broken up so some mech's come in later than others in order to cover the entire day. Of course I am just dreaming when it comes to getting such shops to keep their word and get my car done on time as promised!
I did get a free 2008 Escrape to drive though so I guess I can't whine too much. ;-|
Oh,,,,,,, BITE ME ANYWAY! [:@]j/k......not
Those bastards!!
I know that's going to happen to me too cuz I'm going in for both, the upper mount and hood repair.
My part arrived this morning, this time he checked the box and it looks good. Now if
he'd only answer his phone so I can schedule my appt for tomorrow.
They also agreed to fix the hood for free.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise