Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

I need to vent..

My car is at Ford now..I dropped off this morning, I had them order the part last week so it was in stock..

I dropped the car off and 15 minutes later i got the call. YOU have AFTERMARKET struts and springs, we cant WARRANTY the work...

So after a Debate, i told them to do the work , I told them i want the old Strut Mounts, I will pay for the work because i want it done..

I guess now i will take up a fight with FORD to get reimbursed if at all possible...Any thought to you experts out there on how i should proceed..
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Anybody else have some steering wheel shimmy and kinda squirrelly handling after the new strut mount install? I'm thinking maybe it's out of alignment now - is that possible with this type of repair?

NO. It is strickly a parts swop. No change in alignment. Sounds like something wasn't installed correctly on yours. Take it back.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red

I need to vent..

My car is at Ford now..I dropped off this morning, I had them order the part last week so it was in stock..

I dropped the car off and 15 minutes later i got the call. YOU have AFTERMARKET struts and springs, we cant WARRANTY the work...

So after a Debate, i told them to do the work , I told them i want the old Strut Mounts, I will pay for the work because i want it done..

I guess now i will take up a fight with FORD to get reimbursed if at all possible...Any thought to you experts out there on how i should proceed..
They are not 100% correct in making you pay for this. This was one of the reasons MAGNUSSON-MOSS was enacted: to protect consumers from dealers when rejected for repairs under warranty. The REAL question is how much time and effort do you want to devote to fighting it???? This is the kind of thing that makes me want to do bad things to bad people with blunt objects. The dealer is obviously just trying to make a buck rather than keep you happy.

I'm not sure as to the exact plan of action, but I would start off by never going to that dealer again. Tell the dealer that your strut mounts ALWAYS made that noise because they are DEFECTIVE and that's why there's a NEW PART NUMBER. They are basically saying that you "broke" the strut mounts with your aftermarket products which is a lie because the strut mounts were broken at birth. I don't know if Bascho can help on this one or not, but in the end it will take some doing to get justice so if you've got the time go for it. If not, bite the bullet and find a dealership that doesn't SUCK.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Thanks i did send a PM to Bascho, but i am sure he has better things to do, if he can help ..great...

Since the car is there now, i told them just to do it and if i cant resolve this by the end of the day when i pick up the car i will pay for it and then try

to get my money back...The fight is just begining..[:@]
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Great NEWS....I got on the phone with my dealer and service Manager...this morning and educated him on some of these details..

After explaining all the issues regaurding "our" problem he said he would let me know...

After 6 hours the Sevice Manager called me and said they would warranty the work..he said he made some calls..blah blah blah...

Bottom line its done and for FREE..have to pick up after work and give it a road test....

So to all you out there that have after market parts, if you go in there.... educated and talk the talk..chances are you will get out on top..

Full road test yet to come.. Thanks to all on this Forum on this subject..

Dont give up.!!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

Anybody else have some steering wheel shimmy and kinda squirrelly handling after the new strut mount install? I'm thinking maybe it's out of alignment now - is that possible with this type of repair?
My car pulled to the left and I had the shimmy at 60+ MPH. After a few days they both went away, but I called the service dept. just to make sure they aligned the car after the work, and they said they did.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Embalmer

My car pulled to the left and I had the shimmy at 60+ MPH. After a few days they both went away, but I called the service dept. just to make sure they aligned the car after the work, and they said they did.
Nothing noted on the service receipt about an alignment. How may others had the strut mounts replaced without an alignment? Bascho, does it NEED an alignment after the install?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure mine wasn't aligned, it's not on the work order I got back from Ford. The car runs straight and true as before.
I believe the issue with the old mounts was excessive vertical end float. Any effort to reduce that float wouldn't alter the alignment.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Embalmer

Nothing noted on the service receipt about an alignment. How may others had the strut mounts replaced without an alignment? Bascho, does it NEED an alignment after the install?
I think the alignment needs to be checked. The strut assembly is an integral part of the alignment and could cause a pull if installed incorrectly. Check my post back a few months and you can see they checked the alignment after putting in the GT500 mounts:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2297319/...3/key_/tm.htm#

Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Just my two centero's!

Fact. Both of my pony's entirestrut assemblies were replaced in late December of '06 in a vein attempt by the suspension mechanic to cure the chuckle. I told him that wouldn't cure it but hey, he wanted to try anyway so wtf eh?

Fact. My pony didn't require nordid it receivea front end alignment at that time. Wasn't performed period. Car handled just fine afterwards. No problems whatsoever except having to live with that stinkin chuckle.

Fact. After the new strut mount came out months later, I was one of the first to receive mine free of charge at the dealer where I purchased my baby in late Nov. of '06.The new mounts cured the chuckle for sure! No chuckle for thousands of miles now just so ya know!
Happy as spit about that!

Fact. There was no front end alignment performed when the new mounts were installed either.
Just wasn't necessary!

Theory. If your car isshaking or pulling etc. after the new strut mounts were installed, the mechanic that did the work is a carelessIDIOT! IMO. There is absolutely no reason or excusewhatsoever!None!............................ .. But shiz happens even with the best mechanics.

Take your car back and tell them you want what ever is causing your problem corrected immediately or your gonna spew and blow rancid putridsmellingchunks all over the shop!
And youdemand it bedone for FREE because it wasn't doing that before you brought it in for the new mounts to be installed.

Wolfey2k

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise