Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 AM
newjohnre

Originally Posted by kc5mhb
If you have to change the ball joints its really easy all you need is the tools and the time. I changed mine on the car. Tie rods on those cars are a little bit tricky since the inner one is in the steering rack. I might would attempt it but not sure at this point. If the outer tie rods are still good but the boots are bad, auto parts stores sell the boot covers pretty cheap. You'll need a pickle fork or tie rod separator to break them loose but I put some of those boots on my wife's '66 Mustang.
That's odd that the exact same bolt was loose on both of our cars. So far I don't think the ball joints needs to be replaced. Thanks for the comforting words... I've never replaced ball joints before and I wasn't in a rush to learn this week.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Originally Posted by JRamagost
Ok, cool, where do i get the upper strut mounts? Do I need these along with the camber kit? what about the sway bar end links, do I need those too and what kind? Sorry about all the questions, this is just to long of a thread to dig in!
I used these, they are stronger than the factory units and you can adjust your camber.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-h...d-mustang.html
Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
nawagner

Originally Posted by JRamagost
Ok, cool, where do i get the upper strut mounts? Do I need these along with the camber kit? what about the sway bar end links, do I need those too and what kind? Sorry about all the questions, this is just to long of a thread to dig in!
Can order the strut mounts form online. I would order the M-18183-C, do an internet search and they'll come up for about $100. If you do the strut mounts you do not need camber plates, it's one or the other. The main reason you'd want camber plates is if you are going to be going to the track and want to adjust your camber. Otherwise for street use camber is set and forget.

Souldn't need sway links, just make sure they are tight on both ends. That is the most common reason for front end clunking on these cars and should always be checked first.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 PM
newjohnre

Originally Posted by nawagner
Can order the strut mounts form online. I would order the M-18183-C, do an internet search and they'll come up for about $100. If you do the strut mounts you do not need camber plates, it's one or the other. The main reason you'd want camber plates is if you are going to be going to the track and want to adjust your camber. Otherwise for street use camber is set and forget.

Souldn't need sway links, just make sure they are tight on both ends. That is the most common reason for front end clunking on these cars and should always be checked first.

I second all said here and to summarize the rest of this thread...do what nawagner said and your clunk should go away. The other stuff is the more expensive way and your front end may still clunk. However, if you choose to go the more expensive route and it does work you get an upgrade and repair at the same time.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

I agree. Since its been narrowed down to upper strut mounts, loose bolts on stabilizer links, ball joints, and stabilizer bushings; it should be condensed and put as a sticky by an admin.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

This thread Is so long I could never read it all, has anyone mentioned those plastic Inner front fender wells???? Mine were both flopping around & making noise, I took those stupid push pins out & replaced them with (believe it or not) REAL BOLTS! That fixed 75% of my rattling!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

update,

Alright so i was the guy who had my ball joints replaced under warranty.

Well the factory ended up replacing the entire A arm assembly. No loud clunk like before, still i little click, but it just sounds like a still suspension so i think i can live with it. I think in the long run i will replace my upper strut mounts...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

oh and can someone tell me where the loose bolt on the stabalizer is located... this thread is to ridiculously long to look through
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

are the "stabalizers" another word for sway bar...?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
nawagner

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
are the "stabalizers" another word for sway bar...?
The stabilizer is the sway bar link, the sway bar is the thick bar that runs from one side of the car to the other. The photo is the bolt on the bottom of the sway bar link (the verticle metal bar in the picture) that you need to make sure is tight, really tight. There is also a bolt on the top that needs to be tight. Since the nut threads onto the post that goes through the sway bar you'll need a socket to hold the post to keep it from spinning when you tighten the nut using an open end wrench. Can't remember sizes though.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise