Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas treatment safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default Gas treatment safe?

I was reading through the owners manual because i need to buy some oil and didnt know what oil the 4.0's take and i saw this. "Do Not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damge that is not covered by ford warranty." So should i not add my Gas Treatment when i fill up?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas treatment safe?

some people have said that gas treatments could clog the injectors
but I ran one on my second tank of gas and had no problems
Old 11-23-2006, 02:20 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

They are putting that in the manual to absolve them of any responsibility in case there is an injector failure, or something like that. If your injectors clog, they can blame it on you, and charge you for the repair.

Personally, I don't see any need to add any sort of fuel additive, especially. Just put in quality gasoline (not Arco in California, for example). Go with a quality brand of fuel, and you will be fine.

As for oil additives, spend the extra couple of bucks and go synthetic.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:50 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My votes:

Redline oil - over 300k miles of satisfaction
Redline fuel system cleaner - same, and to boot, my last car had/has see through fuel lines, 262k miles, still can see through them, seen others that I couldn't.
Tufoil - www.tufoil.com - over 300k miles of satisfaction. The machinist that built my last engine recommended it 130k and some 15 sets of tires ago. Still runs smooth and slick.

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

I was reading through the owners manual because i need to buy some oil and didnt know what oil the 4.0's take and i saw this. "Do Not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damge that is not covered by ford warranty." So should i not add my Gas Treatment when i fill up?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

sweet so i dont really need it, maybe ill just keep it for a rainy day.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have been using Chevron Techron for years, including using it in my '06 GT. I read somewhere Ford even recommends using it. I have never had any problems.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:41 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

I heard that some gas treatments/cleaners will actually lower the effective octane of the gas. That's a big deal for those with FI (forced induction).
Old 11-23-2006, 05:06 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

There is no need for engine oil additives of gasoline additives if you run the proper stuff and maintain them properly. For oil I highly recommend Mobil 1 i think the 4.0 takes 5w30 and as for gasoline as long as you use one of the Top Tier fuels you do not needs a fuel additive. If you want to use one then Techron or Redline are about the only two i would run.

If you only want to run a conventional oil then Castrol is a good oil as well.

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Also NEVER put any type of Octane Booster in your gas it ruins spark plugs.

Richard
Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Your note says not ARCO in California. Why? I had a bad time with ARCO once many years ago, haven't used it since. Many people do, why do you say not good to use ARCO?
Just curious.

I use Chevron, Valero, and Union 76 myself. Never touch ARCO nor Shell.
ARCO - as said I had a bad experience MANY years ago. But, was semi-interested the other day when I saw they were now owned by BP?
Shell - I knew a fellow motorcyclist that felt he got the best performance off Shell at a particular station
Rotten Robbie - once knew a Porsche driver that said he got the best performance at Rotten Robbie.

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

They are putting that in the manual to absolve them of any responsibility in case there is an injector failure, or something like that. If your injectors clog, they can blame it on you, and charge you for the repair.

Personally, I don't see any need to add any sort of fuel additive, especially. Just put in quality gasoline (not Arco in California, for example). Go with a quality brand of fuel, and you will be fine.

As for oil additives, spend the extra couple of bucks and go synthetic.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I've used Chevron Techtron and STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner for years with zero issues.

Quick Reply: Gas treatment safe?