Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the best way to touch up scrapes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:07 AM
mebored

Default What’s the best way to touch up scrapes?

I came out of the store to find someone had hit the side of the back bumper on my new 2007 Mustang, scrapping off the paint in a one inch by two inch area. I’ve ordered a paint touch up bottle from my local Ford dealer. It’s a little bottle with a small brush, but from past experience with touching up the paint on other cars the results of the touch up isn’t very good. The brush usually leaves stroke marks and the paint never quite matches. Does anyone know of a better way to touch up scrapes?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What’s the best way to touch up scrapes?

ah man that sucks! I would have to take it to a body shop and have that fixed right, a brand new Stang would look crappy with a big blob of touch up paint on the bumper...that sounds like more than a little touch up paint can handle
Old 11-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Numby
1st Gear Member

**** touchups they look horrible no matter what. Take it too a body shop and have them repaint the area.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:07 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Most good body shops will be able to smooth it out and match it pretty well, the they clearcoat the whole bumper and it all blends real nice...
Old 11-23-2006, 03:21 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Yeah, touch ups kinda suck, especially on such a nice new car.

I scraped a small part of the front bumper of my 06 Mustang (but only in use for about 3 months) and ended up just getting the whole bumper sanded down and repainted. I'm not sure if you can get someone to do a good job sanding and painting just a spot, but if you can't, it's probably worth the couple hundred bucks to get the whole bumper repainted, especially after paying $30 thousand-something to get a brand new good looking car. And at least that way there won't be any slightly-off color spots within the bumper. The bumper and the body color might not be exactly identical (from sun-fading and all that), but it'll be way more obvious (especially to you) if they just repaint a certain spot on the bumper.

And after that, just make sure to park far away from everyone in the parking lot and you can save yourself all those dents and scrapes.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Right! Shop around, see how they want to approach the repair and price it. No touchup bottle on anything. There are new kits out for touchup, online... great for small chips and no ugly raised look of the bottle. What you are talking about needs a prof fix.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

See if there is a franchise in your area called Color Melt. They do great touch ups and you can't even tell it is done.

If the paint has not been scuffed all the way through, you can make it look at lot better with some polishing compound.

Touchups never look good if you do them with a brush. The only other option is to get someone to spray on some paint with an airbrush gun, clear coat and then wet sand to try and blend it.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Geeesh that F*** N' sucks bro. In the last 5.0 Mustang Magazine... within the first few pages there is an advertisment from 50resto.com thats says- hrmm lets see here...

GT Rear Bumper Kit. Kit includes PAINTED rear GT bumper and GT factory axle back exhaust kit. All factory colors available

I haven't checked it out yet but take a look and see if that'll help you... hopefully it will.