Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the Mothers Clay bar kit but have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bought the Mothers Clay bar kit but have a question.

I haven't tried claying yet but here's what I am concerned about: Th clay bar picks up dirt, contaminants, etc but they stay in the clay; yes you can "need" them in but you can'r see most of these particles so how do you know they (one) isn't on th surface of the clay as you draw it across the surface. For example I got one new light, minor scratch from washing when my microfibre mit had a very tiny particle stuck to one fibre. (and I wash with little to no contact from the cloth, I'm that careful). So my point is, whatever you apply has to be free of dirt, contaminants. particles (even thouse much to small to see). ...now with the clay bar collecting these things how are you assured that one, some, do not come in contact with the surface and thus even lightly scratch the clearcoat. I know it's quite widely used but I just haven't gotten over the logic of this yet. ...maybe someone who has used it, especially on black can chime in on how you keep what you are picking up from then coming in contact with the surface (considering much of what you pick up cannot be seen with the naked eye) the only thing I can think of is that these particles will not cause damage as in the dropping of the bar on the ground will. ...let me know, thanks all.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:54 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

It lifts the contaminates out of the paint and embeds them into the clay. Most of the contaminates it is removing are microscopic and therefore will not cause any scratches. It can cause some micromaring if you never need the clay. You do a small area then fold the clay into itself a few times and so and so on. Also if you drop the claybar on the ground Throw it away. I cut my clay bar into 4 pieces that way if i do happen to drop the bar on the ground I only lose 1/4 of it and not the whole bar.

Your thinking about it to much Do not worry you will be fine. If any micro marring happens you simply polish it out. Heres the deal if you apply wax without claying you are essentially rubbing those contaminates into the paint even more causing more damage. Claying will lift them out. The real key to preventing the clay from doing dmage is making sure you use enough lube with it.

Here are a few links with more info to help you understand.

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Richard
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

I clay barred the wifes car yesterday and made the finish like new!!!! Just be sure that you wax it within 12 hours because your leaving your paint to the elements unwaxed
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

It lifts the contaminates out of the paint and embeds them into the clay. Most of the contaminates it is removing are microscopic and therefore will not cause any scratches. It can cause some micromaring if you never need the clay. You do a small area then fold the clay into itself a few times and so and so on. Also if you drop the claybar on the ground Throw it away. I cut my clay bar into 4 pieces that way if i do happen to drop the bar on the ground I only lose 1/4 of it and not the whole bar.

Your thinking about it to much Do not worry you will be fine. If any micro marring happens you simply polish it out. Heres the deal if you apply wax without claying you are essentially rubbing those contaminates into the paint even more causing more damage. Claying will lift them out. The real key to preventing the clay from doing dmage is making sure you use enough lube with it.

Here are a few links with more info to help you understand.

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

Richard
Very well said, and very good advice.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:58 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Sounds good and thanks for the links!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

There's no substitute for the clay bar. It does wonders for the paint. Keeps it looking and feeling like new. An absolute must have if your stang isn't garaged and you want to keep it looking new. Like another poster said, without it you just keep rubbing those contaminants over your paint and sealing them in when you wax.

It's quite a chore but worth it when you see and feel the results. Just make sure you have plenty of time to use it. Follow it with a cleaner, polish, then wax and you'll have the shiniest car in town!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

If you're going to take the time to wax, you better use the clay bar as well as it is well worth it. I will never wax my car again before using the clay bar.

-Jeff
Old 11-26-2006, 05:41 AM
lovemygt
2nd Gear Member

I have a quick question for you guys. I have between 15 and 20 coats of wax on my car now and I have never used a clay bar. If I want to use one for the 1st time is it best to strip the wax off before I do it? If so...what do you use to strip the wax?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

The real key to preventing the clay from doing dmage is making sure you use enough lube with it.

Richard
Yes, make sure you always use lots of lube! And not just for washing the car! LOL
Old 11-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lovemygt

I have a quick question for you guys. I have between 15 and 20 coats of wax on my car now and I have never used a clay bar. If I want to use one for the 1st time is it best to strip the wax off before I do it? If so...what do you use to strip the wax?
Wax doesn't stay on a car forever, and coats of wax after about two are so marginally effective as to probably not make much difference, so I'd just wash the car good and the clay should remove any wax build-up you have.

If you do indeed have serious wax buildup and the clay doesn't seem to be doing its job, try a pre-wax cleaner before claying.

Quick Reply: Bought the Mothers Clay bar kit but have a question.