Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside sound vs Inside sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Default Outside sound vs Inside sound

I have SLP powerflo axlebacks, and for a while I wasn't quite convinced they were providing a really louder sound over stock. I mean yes I could tell the difference inside had changed but not quite what I was expecting.

So I asked my dad to drive my car while I followed in his truck behind around a few streets and some long roads, put it through the gears and high revs.

Well, not only was it loud but I could hear it over heavy traffic. Sounded badass! though, thats what kinda saddened me. There must be a whole lot of sound insulation in the 05-06 model mustangs for this sort of thing. Unless I put the windows down and shift at high revs, I don't anywhere near what hearing the car sounds like at a bystanders point of view.

Any else tried this, heard what their car sounds like from the third person.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:27 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Outside sound vs Inside sound

Nah i wont let anyone drive it but i really wanted to know i think its loud but i didnt realize exactly how loud it was until i noticed when i would drive by people talking on cell phones they would turn and look even though their mind was on something else at the momment ..... and the other day there was a runner with headphones on and i revved when i got passed him and he turned around,,,, so i guess its pretty loud
Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 AM
edified
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Outside sound vs Inside sound

Spiffu - I let my wife drive the on the street, passed me on a different speeds and followed her on the freeways. I think thats the only way you could actually hear how your cars sounds. I have an SCT X2/JLT2, catted Bassani x-pipes, 2.5" inlet/outlet glasspack (to quite down the mufflers, no HP lost according to Mr. Dyno)) motoblue mandrel bent over the axle pipes and FRRP/Borlas.

The sound is greater (more solid) than without the glasspacks (depends on how you rev it) My friend, a traffic cop commented that he didn't realize I have Borlas until I told him whats under the car. So I guess, I just made the 92 dicibel allowable drive-by noise allowed in CA. (???)