Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential - Good or bad for Mustangs in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default Limited Slip Differential - Good or bad for Mustangs in the snow?

As the title says. This weekend on Powerblock TV on Trucks Stacey what's his name said LSD's are bad for snowy weather as both wheels spin vs. one wheel spinning meaning worse traction. Yeah I know it's better on dry pavement and in the mud, etc., but for snowy roads, is the LSD worse or better? I'm thinking worse since if you spin one wheel, you spin em both, and it's far easier to lose traction with a LSD in the snow vs. without...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:23 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Limited Slip Differential - Good or bad for Mustangs in the snow?

IMO LSD's are better to have than not in the snow. Yes if both wheels spin you can lose centripital traction, meaning you may go sideways. However, one wheel drive (essentially no lsd) usually cannot move a vehicle in any significant amt of snow from a standstill. So yes, for getting going, two wheel drive is better than one by far, but it could cause you to fishtail. My advice is just common sense, in the snow, easy on the throttle, keep TCS on and don't gun it in the curves.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Well i drove my stang in the snow for about 9 mins.
During that 9 mins i got a total of 9 feet.
There was maybe about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground, and it plain sucked,

Funny enough, my volvo with an open diff is no better.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Call me lucky or whatever you want but when I was 16 I had no issues getting my dads 8000lb open diff 1981 Buick Lesabre through the snow. Last year I drove home to St. Louis from BFE NM through a little snow. No issues. Just drive responsibly remember your driving a 300hp rwd car through the snow and you shouldn't end up like the yuppies in their AWD/4WD SUVS stuck on the side of the road. But the best solution is not to drive your stang in the snow.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doode

This is what I'm worried about. My GT is my daily driver and my only car. Can't afford a winter beater. Also have nowhere to park it. And to make it worse, I depend on my car for my job...I drive 100 miles+ daily...I got 2 snow tires for the rear but I'm still scared about being stuck in this Chicago winter...

so far, so good...it's 65 degrees today :-D
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

ORIGINAL: doode

This is what I'm worried about. My GT is my daily driver and my only car. Can't afford a winter beater. Also have nowhere to park it. And to make it worse, I depend on my car for my job...I drive 100 miles+ daily...I got 2 snow tires for the rear but I'm still scared about being stuck in this Chicago winter...

What kind of tires did you get?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:17 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Before front wheel drive we all drove rear wheel drive cars and survived (most of us did anyway). Just start off in second gear, and go easy on the throttle, then shift smoothly keeping the revs steady, don't let them fall off or suddenly rise.

Driving smoothly is the key to safe winter driving. But after having said that, I would still be worried about the other idiots on the road.

As far as LSD goes, "Limited Slip" means just that. 2 wheels gripping is better than 1 wheel trying to get a grip.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:19 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Before front wheel drive we all drove rear wheel drive cars and survived (most of us did anyway). Just start off in second gear, and go easy on the throttle, then shift smoothly keeping the revs steady, don't let them fall off or suddenly rise.

Driving smoothly is the key to safe winter driving. But after having said that, I would still be worried about the other idiots on the road.

As far as LSD goes, "Limited Slip" means just that. 2 wheels gripping is better than 1 wheel trying to get a grip.
but that's just what i'm saying...if you spin one wheel with a lsd, you spin both wheels...vs with an open diff you spin one wheel, one still has traction....so 1 wheel with traction > no wheels with traction.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

its easier to spin out if your not careful, but it will help you get unstuck quicker when you do