Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

top gear video on youtube

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: top gear video on youtube

I dont know I would exactly say the Z06 got rave reviews. They loved it on the track but thats about it. Hated it on the road. Complained about the noise and the ride. Said as something he would have to live with every day he would rather have bird flu.

ORIGINAL: Spiffu

The did review the GTO, by it's real name. The Holden Monaro and they absolutely loved it.

The show isn't biased by any sponsor influence, it's privately funded, other than the BBC backing.

Yes the Ford GT and Corvette C6 ZO6 are the only american cars that they have given rave reviews, but the reviews they got were really rave. Regarding the mustang review, it was a GT btw, this show is use to reviewing the very latest super cars and european cars that have the latest automotive technology.

Guess what, the mustang isn't exactly up there, the live axle is antiquated. It works, but as a representation of the U.S. it looks bad. The GTO and 350z have IRS' and 6 speed gear boxes. Something the GT should have had stock. But they did praise it for it's price and huge sales. They did say it looked good and had great presence.

So yes, they're british. They aren't going to look at an american car and just look past all it's draw backs just because it comes from the good ol' us of a like some people do. They'll look at it for what it is, they'll take into account it's background, but performance above all is how they judge the cars.

And yes, aston martins and Jaguars, british sports cars in general will get a bigger nod of approval of they are done well. What do you expect, but if they're done bad, they get the biggest ripping up. The aston martin vanquish didn't get the best review from them.

Try looking up some their episodes on you tube. It's the best car show in the world bar none. Bashing cars is the one of the big reasons why, and is one thing you'll never see happen in the states. They won an emmy last year btw.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
masterless

Hi all. 1st post. It just so happens that video is the reason I bought my Stang. I was a bit disapointed my V6 didnt come with the guage light changer but im loving every minute I drive her.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I find it to be a good show, they are jsut all pisses because Ford and GM own half of their country...lol
Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: Arwing

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

0-60 in just under 6 seconds?
Try 4.9 stock.
Link? Not saying you're lying ive just only seen 5.1 and higher. yet people always say 4.9 :\
My mistake, youre right, its 5.1 But still, thats nowhere near 6 seconds!
it is indeed 4.9s 0-60mph, as demonstrated by MMFF and rigorously advertised by Ford themselves in a couple nationally sindicated television advertisements...
Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Ford USA and Ford Europe operate as separate companies pretty much. Hence why you guys still have the old focus and we have a newer one. You also never had one as powerful as ours. The new ones are even more powerful soon to be launching the 4wd 300bhp Focus RS. 0-60 predicted in the sub 5 second area. Also does not look half bad. Shame smaller cars are not more popular out there. But the new RS Focus is gonna be a bit of a beast. 2.5 litre inline5 turbo from volvo. Same as used in our current Focus st but tuned to 225bhp. But it needs 300bhp now to compete with other manufacturers that all have high powered hatch backs.

And yes Clarkson bought a Ford GT. But its not really an American car. Chassis and suspension were setup by lotus, Gearbox is british built, Body is british built, Steering rack if from an Aston Martin. Brakes are Italian, Wheels are German. About the only thing thats american is the engine.. Just assembled in the US.

oh and top gear reviewed the Viper.

And for those of you curious about track times of the various cars.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

Notice how high up there the Ford GT is. And what the vette is like compared to a porsche GT3 RS not much in that. However the viper is way down the list at number 40. With even the standard corvette beating it. And the GTO is going by its name here the Vauxhall Monaro VXR which is at number 48. By the way they loved this car i went to see a live show with clarkson there a few weeks ago and he came out drifting in the new VXR500 version of it. They bolted a supercharger to the LS6 block and gave it 500bhp instead. But he raved about the car constantly. He also loves the Roush stage 3 stang. But thinks the normal ones understeer too much and the rear end bounces around too much. Same with the GT500. He has the general opinion that a Mustang is bought as a blank canvas which you turn into the car you want it to be. Happen to kind of agree with him there. They can be made to handle very well. And they can be made to be stupidly quick. But as standard there ok as an everyday sports car but not great at anything really. But how many people buy a stang and dont mod it? Not many not on places like these who are into cars anyway. The posers might but well those who know anything usually at least put some lowering springs on it and new dampers etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:19 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Listen....Top Gear is an amazing car show. It's humorous, while being informative. Do I agree with all their reviews? Of course not, but that doesn't lesson my enjoyment of the show any less. Keep in mind....these guys are giving opinions of cars from a British perspective. The roads in England are MUCH different than over here.

I know a lot of people are pissed about the Lotus vs. Mustang GT test, keep in mind that test wasn't done to rag on the 'stang, it was done to show the amazing handling of the Elise. (Which it does have.)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Apart from people dog-nodding to the stupid lies from Top Gear and others (and they ARE lies, not opinions - in the Mustang vs horse segment he specifically says the car has 300HP yet he is driving a stock V6 auto) - what is really sad here is that I doubt that Ford can win this battle...

The new Mustang Giugiaro concept has a distinct Euro-look (OK, Italian) and all Ford will get from this, assuming it makes production with the 500HP, race suspension (lowered 1.5" and firmed) and all the other goodies is a slap on the face for it not actually being a Euro-car...

It'll still not make the European public appreciate the Mustang if they don't already like the Mustang.

Personally I want the American X-factor to be reborn rather than get watered down by euro-styling. I don't expect a traditionally European car to have American style, so why the **ll does a legendary American muscle car need to have euro-style.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

Ford USA and Ford Europe operate as separate companies pretty much. Hence why you guys still have the old focus and we have a newer one. You also never had one as powerful as ours. The new ones are even more powerful soon to be launching the 4wd 300bhp Focus RS. 0-60 predicted in the sub 5 second area. Also does not look half bad. Shame smaller cars are not more popular out there. But the new RS Focus is gonna be a bit of a beast. 2.5 litre inline5 turbo from volvo. Same as used in our current Focus st but tuned to 225bhp. But it needs 300bhp now to compete with other manufacturers that all have high powered hatch backs.

And yes Clarkson bought a Ford GT. But its not really an American car. Chassis and suspension were setup by lotus, Gearbox is british built, Body is british built, Steering rack if from an Aston Martin. Brakes are Italian, Wheels are German. About the only thing thats american is the engine.. Just assembled in the US.

oh and top gear reviewed the Viper.

And for those of you curious about track times of the various cars.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

Notice how high up there the Ford GT is. And what the vette is like compared to a porsche GT3 RS not much in that. However the viper is way down the list at number 40. With even the standard corvette beating it. And the GTO is going by its name here the Vauxhall Monaro VXR which is at number 48. By the way they loved this car i went to see a live show with clarkson there a few weeks ago and he came out drifting in the new VXR500 version of it. They bolted a supercharger to the LS6 block and gave it 500bhp instead. But he raved about the car constantly. He also loves the Roush stage 3 stang. But thinks the normal ones understeer too much and the rear end bounces around too much. Same with the GT500. He has the general opinion that a Mustang is bought as a blank canvas which you turn into the car you want it to be. Happen to kind of agree with him there. They can be made to handle very well. And they can be made to be stupidly quick. But as standard there ok as an everyday sports car but not great at anything really. But how many people buy a stang and dont mod it? Not many not on places like these who are into cars anyway. The posers might but well those who know anything usually at least put some lowering springs on it and new dampers etc.
The reason we don't get the "upper range" Focus models, is that they're considered "econo-boxes" here stateside. No one will pay $30K for a Focus like they will in Europe, most people would just spend a little more and get an entry-level M-B or Bimmer. The New Focus RS sounds fantastic, and with the EVO IX and WRX STI now selling here in the states, a rally inspired Focus would make a dent into that market, but it would also mean a competitor on the showroom floor with the performance image Mustangs.....not the thing I think Ford would want. The Mustang is Ford's performance/image car and to threaten that would be suicidal for Ford. Besides Ford owns the majority of Mazda and the Mazda3 and the other spinoffs off this platform are the newer Euro Focus in a different wrapper, much like the Volvo S40(which Ford owns as well). Believe me there are plenty of people in this country that buy "small". Don't hate us because our country is so vast and gas is relatively cheap(compared to Europe) that cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, GTOs, the Hemi triplets(300C/Magnum/Charger) and too numerous a truck find favor in the U.S.. Maybe if we didn't have to save everyone's a$$ everytime a world war starts up, everyone else would have a better bargaining chip when negotiating with other countries for fossil fuels and other goods......
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grabbn 07

**** top gear they never give any american car a chance and make them sound worthless, and when they pit them aginst other cars (like they did to the 05 GT on another episode vs a Lotus Elise, a 50,000$ car WITH NO OPTIONS LIKE AC/CREATURE COMFORTS including no power anything! that weighs only 1,800 pounds) anyway they pit it against a elise witch is a 1,800 pound car with a 1.8L 4cyl turbo charged... elise won by 13seconds on there road test, THATS IT?! for a car that cost 20,000$ more? and they called it a fair challenge... HAH! ill get the link in a few momments if i can find it, anyway dont take anything top gear says about american cars, just laugh, they have NEVER given a american car a good reveiw, the put the corvette z06 up against the #1 euro sports car (300,000$ price diffrence) and called it a fair match, they also said the z06 wad americas best sports car when anyone with half a brain knows the Viper owns the roads of american sports cars oh well.... **** TOP GEAR![:@]

FOUND THE LINK: WATCH IT AND LAUGH http://youtube.com/watch?v=vwwAxQUDwMg BANG FOR BUCK BITCHES!
I would venture to say that the Ford GT is the best sports car in America...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Don't you mean engine? Everything else is european in it.

Quick Reply: top gear video on youtube