Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel the Acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
bradzpony

Default RE: Feel the Acceleration.

Yeah - I love the feeling of being pulled back into the seat when punching the gas. Rather than from the redlight, I like to be cruising around 60mph and punching it and watching the speedo go up to like 80mph without even breaking a sweat.
However, it is not fun to watch the fuel gauge drop down as the speedo goes up!

Brad
2006 Mustang GT
Torch Red/Dark Charcoal

Old 11-29-2006, 11:50 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

the mustang has a flatter torque curve than a lot of cars with smaller displacement....so rather than a sudden "whoosh" of acceleration in the higher revs, it is a smoother application of power through the RPM range. So you get to 60 or to the end of the quarter mile quite fast, but the acceleration is more evenly spread across your 5 seconds or 13 seconds.

A lot of new 'vette and CTSV owners are complaining that the 400 hp LS2 engine just doesn't feel as powerful as the older 400 hp LS6 engine....even though the cars are just as fast. Same story; the new 6.0 liter LS2 just has a flatter torque curve so you don't get the solid kick in the pants above 3500 rpm that you get with the old 5.7L LS6.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

How many miles does your car have on it?

You said you just got it and if it is still green just give the engine some time to loosen up. I definitely noticed a seat of the pants difference in my car after 800-900 miles on the odometer.

Having said that, I remember reading in Motor Trend that the Mustang didn't "feel" as fast as it was.

Just keep driving it, though. My car definitely feels fast to me, although you gotta go WOT to the redline to really feel it take off...

ORIGINAL: James Cole

Hey guys... just wanted to share this, I got my GT about 1 week ago and I have driven a bunch of other cars like turbos, V6 etc... and the accelaration on the mustang doesn't feel like that big of a deal, I mean I have driven other wars with 50 - 80 less hp and they feel quicker. BUT if you are cruising and there is a car beside you on the next lane and you gun it it looks like the car besides you just pulled a parachute.

Is this the case with the mustang? Is it a lot quicker than it feels?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I can agree with the hood, the first car a i ever drove on a full time basis was a 1971 colony park wagon with a 429 4v. It was rather fast for its size, but had a hood you could land a b52 on...lol that and the fact it was 22ft long and rode like a lincoln, it was very deceptive as to how fast you were going, I do remember that my friends 77 camaro couldnt hold a candle to it, even with the air on and carrying 9 ppl, dad did some mysterious stuff with carbs back in the day.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

I felt the same things at first but when i reprogrammed her with superchips the kick was there then all the mods i have done i am pulling some big G's when i punch it. so get a reprogrammer of your choice and that should helpl big time and then it will begin and you wont be able to stop moding her. So good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

My old 5.0 felt much much faster but my 06 gt stick would hammer it by a full second in the 1/4 mile, however the 302 motor is still a much more fun motor to drive around with, no delay at all, and omg you can feel the torque in the old one much better, however the new stang is 1000000000000% better than my old 5.0.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang
the mustang has a flatter torque curve than a lot of cars with smaller displacement....so rather than a sudden "whoosh" of acceleration in the higher revs, it is a smoother application of power through the RPM range. So you get to 60 or to the end of the quarter mile quite fast, but the acceleration is more evenly spread across your 5 seconds or 13 seconds.

A lot of new 'vette and CTSV owners are complaining that the 400 hp LS2 engine just doesn't feel as powerful as the older 400 hp LS6 engine....even though the cars are just as fast. Same story; the new 6.0 liter LS2 just has a flatter torque curve so you don't get the solid kick in the pants above 3500 rpm that you get with the old 5.7L LS6.
That has ALWAYS been my impression since I first got my 05 back in late 2004 - it seems like very 'refined' acceleration.... but just because your face isn;t being pushed back, don't mean you aint haulin ***!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

definetly is faster than it feels.

look at the speedo or tach when accellerating. it will scare you.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

About a week after I bought my 'stang I had to make an early morning run to our corporate warehouse. Most of the driving I had done the previous week was in the city or in highway traffic. I had jumped on it a couple times at stop lights, etc., but no real opportunity to push the RPMs.

Traffic was very light on the interstate that morning so I decided to open it up from about 60. The next thing I know I'm doing 120....and it "felt" like I was doing 70 - except that the few cars that were on the road looked like they were all standing still.

I had a '67 in college and anything close to 100 felt like you were hauling a**. She rattled and shook and the front end felt a little light. This car feels more like my boss's 700 series BMW that I drove on a long trip once; very smooth at high speed. In that car I was doing 90+ and it felt more like 60. She is definitely fast, especially when you get the RPMs >3500.

Then a few more weeks passed and I got the CAI+tune...and now she "feels" fast too

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Not sure what car you are driving but my Mustang flat out gets up and goes and does in fact give the feel of being pushed back in the seat. Granted this is the first sport car i have owned, however my F150 is Supercharged and when the boost kicks in on it you can feel it and the Mustang makes it look slow. Well it is slow compared to the Stang. I would suggest breaking the car in and then adding a CAI and Tune from Brenspeed. That really wakes it up.

Like Motor Trend said and i have noticed that you may not feel like your going fast in the car and you glance at the speedo and your doing 90MPH. The drive by wire is also very deceptive.

Richard

Quick Reply: Feel the Acceleration.