Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gear is a DoooZZZY!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default 2nd Gear is a DoooZZZY!?!

This Thread is a come off of one posted by Phrkshw (Aaron) "Lesson learned the hard way-my nasty wreck". I read a few of the post from that thread and it would seem that a few people have had some slight miss haps with 2nd gear. I myself totaled my first 05 the same way that he did. I was on a lunch break and just took a right turn and was headed back to work. I shifted into 2nd gear and the car did a 180 sending me into a tree. [:@] I had shifted in some water from the sprinklers from the apartment complex where I live [sm=badidea.gif] I tried to gain control but obviously I couldn't. I never had a ticket or accident before this... so I was pretty upset after the accident. For those that asked in the other thread posted by Aaron- TCS was on - I'm 27 - and insuranced went threw the roof [sm=headbang.gif] especially for no tickets or any other prior accidents. I ended up buying another 05 GT which is the one that I have now. I guess the love for the car made me come back a second time around. I'm curious to who else had mishaps in 2nd gear? Here are 2 pics of mine when it happened and one of Aarons. Drive safe, watch that 2nd gear and watch out for that dam water!

[IMG]local://upfiles/54744/3DB7BBB2536846CEAD920412F299ED9C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54744/5FCA2B3EC2234974BF50B8B5315C9965.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54744/AAED4D1CB4C84594BAC8FE9BCBB542F2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2nd Gear is a DoooZZZY!?!

Aw damm, that has got to suck!!! I hope that never happens to me cuz I'd cry like a baby!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I know that when I was test driving the 06's I drove a stick, it was a blast, We were about a mile from the dealer,I took off from the light, had a good launch, (was actully quite proud of my self for that one), Snatched second about 5500 i believe and broke the car sideways on rt 7 just coming out of leesburg, a little feather of the throttle and straightened her back out but my GF was about to kill me.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Glad you got it straight man... would've sucked it you wrecked. My fiancee didn't believe me about the 2nd gear until she started reading a few of the post about it - 2nd gear got some ***** appearently!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Honestly, power shifting into 2nd in a car with 300hp is never going to be a good idea. If you must do it, invest in an LSD or a spool to keep you going straight, with the one tire fire of our cars your bound to go sideways...

E.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

2nd gear has given me a few problems as well. I didn't total my car, thankfully, but I was coming around a corner which was a little slick (maybe some ice, and loose gravel the city put down to try and give traction on it), and just after I shifted into second the back end got loose (a little too punchy on the gas, I guess) and I ended up fish-tailing a bit and sliding through a snowbank and into a guard rail (mostly just scrapes, but still about $1200 to get everything back to new). Wasn't going too fast (probably 20 km/h) and I only have a little V6 210-horse, but second gear still bit me that morning.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Yeah would have sucked to wreck a car that we didnt own, nor end up buying, But I did that on purpose, didnt expect it to swing around as much as it did. I was expecting a bark, not a fry...lol. I am used to using the extra 2 steering wheels in the back while doing road racing and auto-x, but damn, that was a little fierce.
ORIGINAL: Moses 05GT

Glad you got it straight man... would've sucked it you wrecked. My fiancee didn't believe me about the 2nd gear until she started reading a few of the post about it - 2nd gear got some ***** appearently!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear it bro and ya 2nd is a beast especially on damp roads.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

Honestly, power shifting into 2nd in a car with 300hp is never going to be a good idea. If you must do it, invest in an LSD or a spool to keep you going straight, with the one tire fire of our cars your bound to go sideways...

E.

Umm. Even the 4.0 has track lok. (posi/lsd whatever you want to call it). IF you have a one wheel peel - your rearend is shot. A one wheel wonder will not kick sideways unless you REALLY push it and even then it is hit or miss. Funny thing fellas, I was actually a bit disappointed in the 1-2........but my fox body is much faster so perhaps I have become a bit desensitized.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

No, the 4.0 is an open diff. At least my 05 is. With no TC the little bastard right rear wheel loves to spin when its wet. Im getting the ford t-lock asap...

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

ORIGINAL: Sap

E.

Umm. Even the 4.0 has track lok. (posi/lsd whatever you want to call it). IF you have a one wheel peel - your rearend is shot. A one wheel wonder will not kick sideways unless you REALLY push it and even then it is hit or miss. Funny thing fellas, I was actually a bit disappointed in the 1-2........but my fox body is much faster so perhaps I have become a bit desensitized.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear is a DoooZZZY!?!