Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Fogging Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM
idamaster

Default Interior Fogging Up

I live in Detroit and have a new 2007 GT coupe. It has less than 700 miles on it. It was scotchguarded and treated on the interior and exterior for protection, etc. It started raining last night while I was driving home, and this morning I felt a musty smell in it. This afternoon when I drove it, the interior was fogged up when I got in the car, and the smell was worse. I checked the kickboards for the leaking issue people report, but it's not wet as far as I can tell. It's been basically raining for 24 hours here. Is it normal for the car to be fogged up as much as it is?

Anyone have this problem, or know what I can do about it?

As a side note, I'm a pretty "warm" person, but can't believe that my own heat would cause this issue on the scale I'm experiencing it at.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Interior Fogging Up

Yep, it gets pretty moist in their. I noticed it too, but there was no noticeable dampness in the carpet. That was the first thing I checked when I noticed it because of the problems some have had with leaking. I live in Oregon and it has been WET, but no leaking as yet.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: idamaster
I live in Detroit and have a new 2007 GT coupe. It has less than 700 miles on it. It was scotchguarded and treated on the interior and exterior for protection, etc. It started raining last night while I was driving home, and this morning I felt a musty smell in it. This afternoon when I drove it, the interior was fogged up when I got in the car, and the smell was worse. I checked the kickboards for the leaking issue people report, but it's not wet as far as I can tell. It's been basically raining for 24 hours here. Is it normal for the car to be fogged up as much as it is?

Anyone have this problem, or know what I can do about it?

As a side note, I'm a pretty "warm" person, but can't believe that my own heat would cause this issue on the scale I'm experiencing it at.
I also have a 07 GT and am from Detroit area and now and then the passenger side window will fog for no reason. But this only happened so far when my wife was along for the ride.

Make sure you don't have the heater set at recirculate. That will cause fogging when its very humid.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Did you remove the kick panels and feel the padding under the carpet? That's where the water accumilates. If you are smelling mold and mildew already then you've probably been leaking for some time. Normal fogging due to high humidity should clear up almost instantly when you turn your AC controls to defrost. If it doesn't then you may have a problem with your AC ducting under the dash. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for you.

P.S.
Down here in Fla. humidity in the 60% to 80% is normal. When you got in the car in the morning you balanced out the humitity from outside to inside. You then probably drove to work with the heater on which would have heated all that moist air. Letting it sit during the day caused condensation on all that nice cold glass. Since the humidity levels didn't drop and you probably didn't see temperatures high enough to burn away the condensation you were greeted with fogged glass. Probably had condensation on a lot of interior metal parts as well.

Good Luck

BB
Old 11-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

This has happened to me occasionaly, especially when it is really foggy out coming through the mountains, I have found it is attributed to how well the car is actually sealed, it does not vent well like older cars. I dont have the leak issue, have been checking that regularly. If I crack the window slightly and crank the defroster up, it clears pretty quick, if the window is closed fully, it does not clear very well at all. I mean the car seals good enough that if you roll the windows up while at speed, the pressure diff is great enough to pop your ears like an altitude change.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Funny people bring this up. I swear this is a ford thing because every ford I have ever been in has had a fog problem. My 2006 Gt fogs up all the time as well. I useally just run the defoger at the lowest setting.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thxultra

Funny people bring this up. I swear this is a ford thing because every ford I have ever been in has had a fog problem. My 2006 Gt fogs up all the time as well. I useally just run the defoger at the lowest setting.
Ditto on the '07
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yup, just the way the car is. I will say this, you can direct your corner vents and with the lowest fan speed, it's all gone. ...since the solution works so well and fast it doesn't really bother me. But yeah it happens right off the showroom floor. ...not to worry.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Do a search here for water leak, there has been an issue with some 05-07 Mustangs having water leaks, primarily around the front lower floorboards.With the musty smell you have, I'd do some looking into it.
It's a post a few down, 'Serious Leak & electrical issues'
Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 PM
idamaster

So I just drove home from work. There was a decent amount of fog on the front windsheild, but applying the defrost worked for a while. About 5 minutes into the trip, the side windows and rear window fogged up, so I turned up the heat and turned on the A/C to dry out the air and ducts. Drove the next 20 minutes fog free except for the lowest portion of the rear window.

The car has less than 700 miles on it. It started raining last night and I was out driving for maybe an hour. The car was parked overnight in a parking garage but its sheilded from the rain, and was out in the rain all day today (but only driven about 60 minutes)

I'd find it hard for the carpet to already be wet and growing mold in less than 24 hours, but I did check and didn't notice the dampness of the carpet (the floor mats were damp from my shoes obviously)

Couple of guesses. Scotchguard and wet shoes don't smell good. Or the heater core (which is being used for the first time) might be contributing to the smell.

Just weird problems for such a new car...

Quick Reply: Interior Fogging Up