Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOP TIER GASOLINES - performance you can use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TOP TIER GASOLINES - performance you can use?

I mix water in my tank... 3 parts gas one part water... all that extra oxygen really helps the stang run better...
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

HMMMM - well I suppose that is why the BP gas is so clear or what we used to call Amaco "white gas" here in Nashville, I always liked it because it appeared to be "cleaner" gas and now since BP & Amaco are one, that is what I try to find. Again, this is all based on meeting my requirements on the station being a more modern station with newer tanks in the ground. Now I know that I'm not a gasoline expert, so, might I inquire about the idea that I posted about water & rust being a source of possible concern in older stations without provoling the ire of the gasoline experts? and also - would you consider Walmart gas worthy of our investments?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Don't put water in your gas tank, water and gas don't mix!! Unless you have a lot of alcohol to blend it with gas and water absolutely don't like each other.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Feng Houzi

I mix water in my tank... 3 parts gas one part water... all that extra oxygen really helps the stang run better...
Just go to Arco if you're in Southern California... they do it for you without having to mix it...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

top tier gasolines are a load of crap. why? because the more additives, the more ethanol, the more detergents, the less gasoline and the less performance. do you honestly think BP isn't a clean gas? if you think it isn't a top tier gas, you are full of crap. the only reason why BP isn't a top tier gasoline...is because their gas is mostly gas, and they have less than 8% ethanol, which is a requirement for a top tier gasoline if you look on their webpage. it is NOT because they don't have good detergents, or because it is a dirtier gas, but because they have less ethanol meaning MORE performance. think about it this way...race gas has close to 0% ethanol. why? more performance! so common sense tells you the less ethanol, the more gas, meaning the bigger the explosion, meaning more power.

so BP gas is the best performance fuel you can buy, and it is still just as clean if not more so than a top tier gas. the only difference is the ethanol level...bp doesn't run the 8% minimum required by top tier gasolines if you look at their webpage.

God damn idiots who don't know crap about gasoline shouldn't post!

[sm=rant.gif] I really don't think the insults are warranted here. This is a forum to share ideas, not to display your penchant for profanity and belittling.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

top tier gasolines are a load of crap. why? because the more additives, the more ethanol, the more detergents, the less gasoline and the less performance. do you honestly think BP isn't a clean gas? if you think it isn't a top tier gas, you are full of crap. the only reason why BP isn't a top tier gasoline...is because their gas is mostly gas, and they have less than 8% ethanol, which is a requirement for a top tier gasoline if you look on their webpage. it is NOT because they don't have good detergents, or because it is a dirtier gas, but because they have less ethanol meaning MORE performance. think about it this way...race gas has close to 0% ethanol. why? more performance! so common sense tells you the less ethanol, the more gas, meaning the bigger the explosion, meaning more power.

so BP gas is the best performance fuel you can buy, and it is still just as clean if not more so than a top tier gas. the only difference is the ethanol level...bp doesn't run the 8% minimum required by top tier gasolines if you look at their webpage.

[sm=rant.gif] I really don't think the insults are warranted here. This is a forum to share ideas, not to display your penchant for profanity and belittling.

Sorry...I edited my post. I get very angry when people give out bad advice that isn't based on facts...top tier gas is SUCH a scam...I mean anyone with half a brain knows that Quiktrip is NOT a top tier gas. LOL next they'll have 7-11 become a member!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if my comments were a source of concern or not, but I definitely wasn't saying that BP is bad fuel. All I was saying is, from my understanding, the reason we see the "Ford Recommends BP" on our fuel cap, is because Ford and BP have a contract with each other, and BP provides Ford with fuel at their factories. I'm pretty sure I read this on another gasoline post on here....
Old 12-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

Up until a few years ago, BP stations were everywhere here in Oregon. I can't remember the last time I saw a BP station.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Sorry...I edited my post. I get very angry when people give out bad advice that isn't based on facts...top tier gas is SUCH a scam...I mean anyone with half a brain knows that Quiktrip is NOT a top tier gas. LOL next they'll have 7-11 become a member!
So who is giving out bad advice? I merely opened up the topic, and if you read my post, I end it with a question. Apparently though, you know more about gasolines than GM, Toyota, Honda and BMW combined. It is THEY, the car companies, that came up with the concept and the testing standards. Why would they do that? To trick us? To foist a desperately wicked plot designed to ruin engines as soon as possible so that they can sell more parts?

Furthermore, gasoline companies are already REQUIRED, by law, to include detergents in their gasolines, per the EPA and Clean Air Act. Top Tier is simply a formula standard that the car companies like. Here is BP/Amoco's official stance on the topic, from their website:

Q. Does Amoco Ultimate premium meet the automakers’ “Top Tier†standard?
A. In terms of cleaning formula, Amoco Ultimate meets the Top Tier program specifications. Top Tier is only about cleaning formula and is not a comprehensive measure of fuel quality or performance. Amoco Ultimate goes beyond Top Tier by removing deposit-forming impurities at the refinery, exceeding industry standards for drivability.