MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Ignition Coil Packs COP = What Fits & What Works ? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/213547-ignition-coil-packs-cop-what-fits-and-what-works.html)

TwltPerf 12-03-2006 07:57 PM

xxxxx

CrazyAl 12-03-2006 08:12 PM

RE: Ignition Coil Packs COP = What Fits & What Works ?

I don't know about the Accels.

I haven't tried the MSDs that you mentioned, but I don't think they fit becasue MSD just announced a new set for the 3 valve motors with a different part number. They're on MSD's web site under the "new for 2007" section.

The Granatellis fit.

Now then, I am not running any of the above. The Granatellis especially have a history of throwing codes while delivering NO added benefit. There are a few guys on here who tried them and got rid of them due to problems and no gains.

The ignition on the mod motors is very good. I would consider an upgrade only if you have forced induction or nitrous and are having issues with spark blowout. In that case I'd leave the coils alone and get either a boost-a-spark or a pair of MSD DIS-4 units. On a NA motor these things are just wastes of $$$

hawgman 12-03-2006 10:12 PM

Al, I am thinking we should just give up. It is kind of like the "void my warranty" subject. No matter how many threads there are, someone will still ask. Same goes for the COPs. Maybe we should just do the reverse psychology thing and start pimpin' them in every post.

TwltPerf 12-04-2006 12:30 AM

xxxxx

281GT 12-04-2006 03:54 AM

The stock ignition system on these cars is very good. Almost impossible to improve upon. Any gains would be marginal at best and possibly THE WORST HP per dollar value out there. There are lot of other things I would spend money on first, long tube headers and x-pipe, gears, lower control arms, shifter ect. Don't waste your money on after market ignition.

CrazyAl 12-04-2006 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: 281GT

The stock ignition system on these cars is very good. Almost impossible to improve upon. Any gains would be marginal at best and possibly THE WORST HP per dollar value out there. There are lot of other things I would spend money on first, long tube headers and x-pipe, gears, lower control arms, shifter ect. Don't waste your money on after market ignition.

Exactly!!

I have seen ignition upgrades including the Boost-a-spark and the Granatelli coils installed on these cars and dynoed. There is NO change in HP or Torque at all, and no noticeable change in throttle response either. The only thing we noticed was when the Granatelli-equipped car started flashing the Check Engine light and we hit that dammned limp mode.

I already said it above, and I'll say it again: Ignition upgrades are worthless unless you have a serious power adder (turbo, SC or a big hit of Nitrous).

If you absoloutely have to have one, then stay away from the damn GMS coils. Get either the boost-a-spark or the MSD DIS-4 setup. (which is expensive--be forewarned)

kopfjager 12-04-2006 11:47 AM

There have been dyno results posted and the GMS coil packs clearly add 10-20 HP in a S/C application.
These have been posted by car owners and it is not just some GMS claim.
I had been running them on my car. They ran great and they definately added noticable power. I never got any error codes when they worked. However I had two of them go out on me. One failed and then I replaced it and then a second one failed. This was after three months use. I switched back to stock coils for now.
The one great benefit from the GMS coils was it prevented spark blow-out 100%. I had no spark blow-out with the GMS colis (they give you higher output and spark) but when I returned to stock coils I was experiencing spark blow-out just as the boost came on real hard. I have since switched to HT0 plugs which seems to have alleviated the spark blow-out. I may try the GMS coils again at the track in the future, and see if I get any time out of them. If I did not have two fail I would have said it was a great upgrade but i am very leary of there reliability at this time.

CrazyAl 12-04-2006 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: kopfjager

There have been dyno results posted and the GMS coil packs clearly add 10-20 HP in a S/C application.
These have been posted by car owners and it is not just some GMS claim.
I had been running them on my car. They ran great and they definately added noticable power. I never got any error codes when they worked. However I had two of them go out on me. One failed and then I replaced it and then a second one failed. This was after three months use. I switched back to stock coils for now.
The one great benefit from the GMS coils was it prevented spark blow-out 100%. I had no spark blow-out with the GMS colis (they give you higher output and spark) but when I returned to stock coils I was experiencing spark blow-out just as the boost came on real hard. I have since switched to HT0 plugs which seems to have alleviated the spark blow-out. I may try the GMS coils again at the track in the future, and see if I get any time out of them. If I did not have two fail I would have said it was a great upgrade but i am very leary of there reliability at this time.
Sure, the coil upgrades can give you HP on a car with a power adder. But on a naturally aspirated car, they are next to worthless.

F00Mustang 12-04-2006 11:59 AM

On this car, you don't need an ingnition upgrade untill you're running a high boosted application in which a weak spark can get blown out by the pressure. In those events, most people are using the Kenne-bell boost-a-spark for the upgrade.