Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood shake/popping open AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Hood shake/popping open AGAIN

After just reading another post here where someone claims their hood popped open at speed + all the other related posts about shake/flexing, I am again wondering if anyone has brought this problem to a Ford dealer or Ford corporate? If so, what has their response been?
Hood pins should not be a requirement or an acceptable solution for this on a stock hood.

Am I crazy?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood shake/popping open AGAIN

I've got a fix for mine. Trading it in for a M3 next week. There are many problems with these cars that Ford should have fixed in the development, goes to show why they are in the red.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Nope. you are not. But other than the time it happened to me, (which I still believe is user error on my part). It has been fine.

I have only heard of one other incident of the hood unlatching.

If it happens again I am calling ford. No way I am putting hood pins. I have spent WAY too many hours welding up aftermarket hood pin holes in 60's musclecars to do that to my car.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way - it is just not acceptable.

I posted because I am curious to see if anyone has actually already dealt with this problem with Ford. (I know some say the problem can be fixed in some cases by adjusting the rubber stops under the hood...)

classj - I am also just wondering why you welded up the hood pin holes in the 60s muscle cars? Was it because you did not like the look or for other reasons - I was considering hood pins if absolutely necessary because I like the car otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
casdds11

I've had the same problem on the highway on the driver's side. I thought I was going nuts and seeing things. Everything seems tight, but I'm glad you brought it up. Going to have dealer look at it at the next oil change.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Please post your experience at the dealer - it would be greatly appreciated - good luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

ummm. Because when doing automotive resotorations, the LAST thing most people want on their musclecar is aftermarket hood pins. They usually cause rust and and all sorts of other problems that need fixing. And if not repaired right you always see two round dimples on the hood and the surrounding hole pattern. there is a bit of a trick to it.

This is on cars that are correct down to the hose clamps and screw heads though.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

It happened to me Friday nite, and I did post it on another thread. The problem I see with going to the dealer about it , is that traveling at the speed limit, even under 75mph I have not had any issues or hood shake. I'm not sure that telling them it popped open at 105mph that they are going to be concerned. Since it doesn't have an issue at legal speeds. I have some other things to discuss with the dealer when it goes in for service, I will let you know what they say.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
pork
1st Gear Member

When I got the 07 Gt Vert there was no hood shake but I really had to slam the hood to get it to close & latch. Dealer adjusted the rubber bumpers and the hood closes okay now but I have the hood shake. I guess it's a trade off....
Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: classj

ummm. Because when doing automotive resotorations, the LAST thing most people want on their musclecar is aftermarket hood pins. They usually cause rust and and all sorts of other problems that need fixing. And if not repaired right you always see two round dimples on the hood and the surrounding hole pattern. there is a bit of a trick to it.

This is on cars that are correct down to the hose clamps and screw heads though.
Sorry to off topic but, classj where do you work? I am in the old car/custom industry as well.

Quick Reply: Hood shake/popping open AGAIN