Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple Superchargers

Any whipple supercharger owners wanna chime in with their experiance with the unit? I'm looking at the FRPP (M-6066-M11P) Unit which they are claiming 500hp with. What does everyone think about this unit? Price is up there (suggested $6800 w/intercooler). Are these units the same as the Roush?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Superchargers

Dude, Roush is a roots, Whipple is a TwinScrew and this was discussed quite extensivly. Its a great unit that is as close to a factory part you can get. It is expensive and I thought it was worth every penny as the install was flawless, the car started right up and hasn't missed a beat. Horsepower will be between 450 & 500 Rear Wheel, but you'll also have 400 lbs of torque at 3000 RPM and that makes it feel like a 427 was snuck under your hood
Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Zcat, how many miles on the supercharged motor? Any issues at all with the tune they give you?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Easy install, looks factory when finished. Tune is as close to perfect as you can get without putting the car on a dyno with a master tuner. Kit is available form LetalPerformance for about $6k (black) or $6500 (polished). Definately worth the money.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Zcat, Are you running a stock bottom end or did you go forged? how many miles since the install? any problems at all with it?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

This is very true.......The car club Stangpede that i am in, we are sponsered by whipple supercharger. So we have stuck these on both of our dreambuilds. They do give you about 475 hp and around 500 at the wheels. Now this if from a whipple employee that installs these chargers. With a simple pulley upgrade you can easily push it over 500 hp. I dont know the details that much...but if anyone wants some info on it i can actually get you guys a ton of info and make a write up on it. you can also check out the link my profile and check out the dreambuilds of ours and see the whipple on our cars.

ORIGINAL: zcat

Dude, Roush is a roots, Whipple is a TwinScrew and this was discussed quite extensivly. Its a great unit that is as close to a factory part you can get. It is expensive and I thought it was worth every penny as the install was flawless, the car started right up and hasn't missed a beat. Horsepower will be between 450 & 500 Rear Wheel, but you'll also have 400 lbs of torque at 3000 RPM and that makes it feel like a 427 was snuck under your hood
Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Grabber - I have over 2500 miles on it so far and I have to say it runs awesome! Started right up & purred when we hooked the ECM back up after Whipple sent it back reflashed with thier (Ford's) program. I did have the car Dyno'd and the #'s are in my sig. What I did find out when at the dyno is that I was running lean and have been in contact with Whipple about this. After I had a fuel pressure guage hooked up we found that fuel pressure was correct ( GT 500 dual pump ) so we go from there and most likely will have to have the ECM reflashed with a richer fuel curve. They were surprised that I was lean and the only thing we can figure is my headers, "X" pipe & hi flo cats make the motor more efficient than thought. They felt the tune they supplied would handle these add-ons, but each car is different and that is why you should get an AFR done locally by a reputable tuner to check your "canned" tune. Now the good news, the tuner that dyno'd my car felt I was 2% off on the 1st fuel band and 10% off on the 2nd, he felt there was probably 20 - 30 more Horsepower to be had and this would put me knocking on the 500 RWHP door Plus, I have run this car fairly hard a few times and it hasn't selfdestructed yet[:-]
Good luck, your gonna love the look on faces when your hood goes up & that polished bad boy is setting there - priceless
Old 12-05-2006, 12:42 AM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Keep us updated on your progress with the reflash. I'm in awww that Whipple/FRPP are putting these numbers out (540 hp at the crank according to Zcats dyno (460/.85)) on a stock engine. I was under the impression to keep far away from 500 hp on the stock motor and closer to the 460-475 hp range. I just worry if I add one I won't be able to keep my foot out of it and would kill the motor.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

You have to remember that Whipple partnered with FRPP in the design of the system, using many OEM parts such as the Fuel pump and injectors, connectors - ETC. The guy that created the ECM program is the same guy that Ford uses to build thier factory programs and probably knows more about these motors and thier characteristics ( drive by wire & variable valve timing)than just about anybody. I have been told that the program software that is used in our reflash is supposed to be better than the program used on the 1st edition GT500 and will be what is used on the 2nd edition GT 500. All that is the reasoning that I used when I was looking at Whipple, Kenny Bell and Saleen, I just figured that the closer I stayed to Ford original, the better chance I had of not screwing my car up and so far my experiance has been to support that decision. Shoot, it even has a "blue oval" on the side of the blower So, you should have your car AFR checked after installation, but I don't know if I'd fool around too much with something that works as good as this system does from Whipple. Eventially, DiabloSport will break the code and you'll be able to obtain thier template of the Whipple tune to tweek - just like they did with the Lightenings, but it will take awhile, be patient
Old 12-05-2006, 03:56 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I wanna be fast like zcat! I'm gonna be next year. Thanks Mr. Whipple!

Quick Reply: Whipple Superchargers