Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared the crap out of me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Scared the crap out of me.

Remove your floormat and see if the condition ever occurs again. Perhaps it curled up and depressed the accelerator. It all makes sense until you allegedly remove your feet from the entire area. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling you a liar. I just know how the system works and this is technically something that is impossible. ( I don't want to get in an argument about what could/should/can/will happen but there are 3 completely unrelated accelerator pedal signals that the cars computer needs to see before it can overpower the brakes and they would all have to fail at the EXACT same moment in a manner that kept their signals within a VERY close correlation) This would be the equivalent of three people drawing the exact same winning lottery numbers at the exact same moment.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

shaners90lxhatch, Is the accelerator pedal the only system on the car that can control the engine speed?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

This is the 3rd or 4th report I've seen on this in the last few weeks. Someone else reported this just yesterday.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Be careful how you connect these situations. Unless the conditions are IDENTICAL, they could all be completely unrelated. Unintended accelerations are not unheard of, but such events that occur with proof that the accelerator is not being depressed are.

NO. The app (accelerator pedal position sensor) is not the only thing that controls engine speed. Just like with cable driven cars the IAC (idle air control motor) can control engine speed regardless of pedal position. There is no IAC on your vehicles but the PCM will move the throttle plate ever so slightly to attain the desired idle speed. When it all boils down, the PCM can control the throttle any way it wants to. But it is programmed (with a billion little checkpoints, tests, feedback, validations and comparisons done every fraction of a second) not to raise engine speed beyond a certain point (i don't know exactly what but not enough to overpower the brake) without a command from the pedal. This system has been proven good by the NHTSB as well as other government agencies to be safe and trustworthy (othewise it wouldn't be legal to sell) so it's not like the thing can suddenly grow a mind of it's own like that cheezy maximum overdrive stephen king flick
There is NO way I can type all I know and all I don't know about the electronic throttle system. I am sure you are all thinking "well there is a software bug.......it sees something else it doesn't like.....its a glitch....... "and so forth. The best thing I can mention here is that it is rather convenient for the concern to happen only when BRAKING. Brake input will plays no part in idle speed unless there is a vacuum leak in the brake booster.......which BTW is another possible cause but somewhat unlikely. I don't know about you guys but I would likely not admit if I found myself to be the source of my concern nor would I be easy to convince of such. There has NEVER been a confirmed case of self accel and until there is such a thing I have to assume that there are other factors involved (floormat, shoes, people, et cetera) rather than a proven good computer system that has developed it's own personality. Your home pc does not reconfigure its settings by itself and neither will this computer.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Traction Control System controls engine speed to an extent, mainly when there is a loss of traction, TCS cuts power.

I'm not a big fan of TCS myself, I had a scary experience in an '02 Z28 while pulling out into traffic from a side street that was at an angle to the primary street; lost traction, the TCS kicked in and cut power and left me at almost a dead stop with traffic barreling down on me, thankfully it had the giddy up and go to get out of the way.

I don't know how the TCS could affect acceleration but I'm very leary of it and like it was said, this is a computer system we are talking about. Restarting a computer fixes computer problems a majority of the time, is this what we have to look forward to in our cars?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Blue Screen of death!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

LOL... too funny bro
Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

I am sure you are all thinking "well there is a software bug.......it sees something else it doesn't like.....its a glitch....... "and so forth.
I am not thinking it is a bug at all, you will find that I will be one of the last people to call something a bug (it takes repeatable testing to prove that). I asked about the other systems, because every response people make about this situatin seems to only be concerned with the pedal, when there are other systems at work. I agree that it is most likely the types of things you suggested checking in your first post, but other errors are not out of the realm of possibility. I am trying to get more of the big picture.

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Your home pc does not reconfigure its settings by itself and neither will this computer.
I would be careful with this analogy. One of the servers at my house likes to forget it has a hard drive. Since this is a bios setting that i did not change, but have to fix, it reconfigured itself. Luckily it is a test server, so I do not have to rely on it.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

I have no tune, car is stock.

Correct me if i'm wrong reguarding the floormat issue, the one thing I emphasized on was the fact that car was acellerating than de-accelerating, this repeated five times before I turned the key in the off position.

If your confused on the sound I heard do this:

Start your car, put in park
Step on the gas pedal for 2 seconds
let off
let off
let off

and so on..
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Playboy06

I have no tune, car is stock.

Correct me if i'm wrong reguarding the floormat issue, the one thing I emphasized on was the fact that car was acellerating than de-accelerating, this repeated five times before I turned the key in the off position.

If your confused on the sound I heard do this:

Start your car, put in park
let off
let off
let off

and so on..
hey bro, any update on this? i experienced this today, but i was mergin o nthe highway, mustang shot up to 90 and the brake wouldnt lower it pass 60 till it finally popped back, wtf? and now its not happening, if this has been happenin among other mustangs, it has to be something major that ford is hiding

Quick Reply: Scared the crap out of me.