Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB ON PARKING BRAKE FREEZING!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Thrasherluver

Default RE: E-brake stuck...

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

Got an 05 v6 and to be quick...it was 17 degrees out this morning and my e-brake will not let go. I tried rocking back and forth and pulling up on the lever and drove a short distance...it still has a grip on the wheel. Does anyone know how I can get this unstuck so I can drive to the dealership?

I had the same problem as well. I have an 05 GT, and it was in the twenties here this morning. I had to take a $40.00 cab to work. When I got home it released fine, so I left the emergency brake off and left it in gear. I put a couple of wheel blocks behind the rear wheels just to be safe since it's parked on a pretty steep incline. What a pain.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

mine did the same thing and they replaced the entire brake line.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

this happened to me this morning also!

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

Yes as im reading around it seems that all mustangs e-brakes in the cold north and having some problems today. 17degrees here...28 current. Right now im home from school for lunch trying to find a ride back in time....o boy....
Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 AM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

well its been a few degress below freezing here in MD latelly and it has not happened to me yet...lets hope it stays that way......but if it does would starting the car and warming it up for like 10 min. fix the problem???
Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Um no...didn't for me..
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

There was a thread about this a few days ago, and it happened to me on both sides. Warming your car up won't help. What I did to get it free was to reach under where the cable runs from the frame to the brake and twist and flex the cables as much as I could until the ice was broken up. Running the car won't help and rocking the car or driving it on the brake doesn't help either, you have to either warm the cable up or twist it around enough to break up the ice.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 AM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

where exacly are those cables so Id know where to look just in case???
Old 12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, anyone want to get down on the ground in freezing temps with a camera to help out our cold-weather brothers and sisters!!! Right on!
Btw, isn't it very bad to drive when the cable is stuck? I read one post where the guy tried and scored his disk. Check your rear disks and let us know if there's been any unusual wear and tear.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

No matter if there is a TSB on it or not, you should NEVER use the parking break when it is freezing outside. Just put it in gear on a level road. On an incline you're screwed... but most of us don't have to park there anyway.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

you should NEVER use the parking break when it is freezing outside
This may be an easy cure for the situation, but shouldn't my emergency brake work all the time? I've always used the e-brake whether in an auto or manual. I'm glad to see that Ford at least acknowledges the problem and says it should be fixed.

BTW, my dad had his automatic '95 F-150 idling at the top of our driveway, no parking brake on, and the darn thing popped into reverse and rolled itself down the hill. Luckily there's a stone wall on one side of our driveway that the truck stopped itself on. Hence my desire to always use an e-brake; never can be too careful.

Quick Reply: TSB ON PARKING BRAKE FREEZING!!