Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB ON PARKING BRAKE FREEZING!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default TSB ON PARKING BRAKE FREEZING!!

Got an 05 v6 and to be quick...it was 17 degrees out this morning and my e-brake will not let go. I tried rocking back and forth and pulling up on the lever and drove a short distance...it still has a grip on the wheel. Does anyone know how I can get this unstuck so I can drive to the dealership?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: E-brake stuck...

Call the 800 number they gave you for your warranty and tell them to tow it in. That way they can see the brake is stuck. Don't call the dealer to have them tow it or it will cost you.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:51 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Would that be my own number or is it a common number...I got this car used but its got less then 12,000 on it. Im guessing I have to know my local 800 number? Or is there one you can give me. Last question, if it warms up to say 45 degrees tomorrow will the brake let go?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I think the 800 is on the drivers window. They will ask you for your VIN. You should still be covered under the factory warranty which is good for 50K miles. It should let go if the temp stays above 32 for a couple of hours. It might let go if you try to work the e-brake up and down.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

I had the EXACT same problem this morning! I had it towed to the dealer (shouldn't cost anything, roadside assistance...). Anyhow, when it got to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with it. I explained that I felt the emergency brake handle was loose from about the halfway up point all the way to fully lowered, and also that the car was difficult to drive and the brakes smelled like they were burning/getting hot. They said they are going to check the handle mechanism now and let me know.

I think the cold has something to do with it, but I don't know what could possibly be freezing/locking up from that. It's VERY annoying, and I can't have a car that locks up if the weather goes sub-30. I think it was 25 or so here this morning, which isn't even that cold.

Amazing that we had the same problem. I got on here just to see if someone else was having this issue. By the way, my car is an '06 V6 coupe.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Yes as im reading around it seems that all mustangs e-brakes in the cold north and having some problems today. 17degrees here...28 current. Right now im home from school for lunch trying to find a ride back in time....o boy....
Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

There is a TSB on this......having mine done right now. Same issue this morning.

TSB# 06-5-4

"The rear sealing boot on the e-brake cable could prematurely deteriorate which may permit water intrusion. In freezing tempurature this could bind the cable inside the casing and not allow tension to be released from the caliper."

Service procedure is to replace both rear e-brake cables.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zx9rpilot

There is a TSB on this......having mine done right now. Same issue this morning.

TSB# 06-5-4

"The rear sealing boot on the e-brake cable could prematurely deteriorate which may permit water intrusion. In freezing tempurature this could bind the cable inside the casing and not allow tension to be released from the caliper."

Service procedure is to replace both rear e-brake cables.
How friggin' typical... A Ford TSB exists and there are anecdotes all over this board about dealers claiming nothing's wrong or it's normal. And this board is but a minute subset of all Mustang owners/drivers. This kind of thing drives me bat****.

I'm going out to the parking lot here at work now to release my ebrake. It's 21 here in MA with wind chills below zero.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Yeah I finally cracked the biotch loose enough so my car would roll smoothly, then drove it to get an estimate to fix some dents and she freed up totally...I don't like not puttin my e-brake on....but im not unless I have too for now.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Why do you guys event use the e-brake? I've driven for 35 years and have never used one and never had an incident and that's with straight shifts (manuals) and automatics.

Quick Reply: TSB ON PARKING BRAKE FREEZING!!