Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which of these two seats would be better for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which of these two seats would be better for road racing?

Do you have to do any special modifications to get the new seat it or does it bolt right in?? I think gettin a new seat will be better than buying all new leather for about 1000 bucks or so
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

well the thing is, with the A4, will those support 5 point harness'? I say that because it doesnt have the lap belt holes.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

Be careful about using 5 point harnesses - many follks on the various road racing forums believe that 5 point harnesses are unsafe without rollover protection. Apparently in the event of rollover and roof intrusion with the factory 3 point harness you will tend to fall over sideways and stay out of the way of the roof. The 5 point harness will keep you straight up and allow the roof to come crashing in on your head. Also the harness needs to be secured above shoulder level to a roll bar. If they are secured below shoulder level (like to the floor) then in a crash the straps will tighten down and compress the spine. Here's an example thread:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11963

I do some track days myself and would like to improve the safety of the car with race seats & harnesses but as far as I have been able to determine the factory seats & 3 point harness are the safest unless you include a roll bar, which in my case would compromise the car's streetability too much. It is a bit of a dilemma.

Kevin.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frodaddi

Be careful about using 5 point harnesses - many follks on the various road racing forums believe that 5 point harnesses are unsafe without rollover protection. Apparently in the event of rollover and roof intrusion with the factory 3 point harness you will tend to fall over sideways and stay out of the way of the roof. The 5 point harness will keep you straight up and allow the roof to come crashing in on your head. Also the harness needs to be secured above shoulder level to a roll bar. If they are secured below shoulder level (like to the floor) then in a crash the straps will tighten down and compress the spine. Here's an example thread:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11963

I do some track days myself and would like to improve the safety of the car with race seats & harnesses but as far as I have been able to determine the factory seats & 3 point harness are the safest unless you include a roll bar, which in my case would compromise the car's streetability too much. It is a bit of a dilemma.

Kevin.

Thanks for your concern, but I have the 10 point cage on order already
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

Thanks for your concern, but I have the 10 point cage on order already
Very cool! Sounds like you are going to be doing actual racing. I myself am sticking to track days for now - still learning and not ready to commit the car to being a full track car. Are you going to run in American Iron? I see from your profile that you are in upstate SC. I went to school at Clemson and live in the Atlanta area now. Maybe we will run into each other (not literally) at Road Atlanta sometime.

Kevin.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

anyone know the answer to my question?? ^^^^
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
nstag8r

I have the Corbeau Forza in my 00 GT. Currently doing HPDE with NASA. The seats are very comfortable for non-reclining race seats. I've done 4 hour trips with them and felt fine. On the track they perform like they should, be sure to realize that FORZA seats are for gentlemen up to 36" waists and FORZA II is wider in the waist area. I have the smaller seat and believe it or not a "big bottom girl" does not fit in it so well. My wife is 125lbs and she squeezes in perfectly. I guess that's what we get for loving the women with the nice "child bearing hips"