Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Tire opinions...

I'm sure this has already been discussed, and before anyone jumps me, YES I searched. I'm looking for opinions based on experience.

For Christmas I'm getting 18x9 and 18x10 DD Bullitts for my 06 GT. I'm torn between the BFGoodrich T/A KDWs, and the Nitto 555s. I like the idea that I can get the Nittos on 295/45/18, and the biggest I can get the BFGs is 285/40/18. From personal experience, I want something wide enough and tall enough to protect my wheels from curbs and the occasional small pothole. I had the KDWs on my last car and loved them, but I've heard good things about the 555s. So, please, opinions. All are welcome. If someone knows of a better tire that will fit my future wheels, I'd be happy to hear that, also. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:38 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire opinions...

Well, the 555's have a very harsh ride, I have the kdw2s and they are fine but a little noisy. If I had to do it again I would go with Toyo Proxes T1R. They are superb handling tire and low noise. If money was no object then Goodyear Eagle F1 or Michelin Pilots. Just my 2C.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:40 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll check out the Toyos. I've never been a big Goodyear fan. I've had several sets of Goodyear Eagles, and was never impressed by them. And I know the Michelins are expensive. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

While I can't comment on how exactly 295/45/18 will ride, that is a little taller than stock, you know that right? 295/40/18 will be 27.2 in tall which is just about the stock diameter.

Anyways, back to my point. I belong to an audi club, (previous car) and there were cars at the racing events that ran the eagle DS3, the older stye KDWs, kumho ecsta MX, etc. etc. and nitto 555s. I had bridgestone potentzas RE750 which was a good tire for the money but very noisy. I got rides around the track in cars that ran those tires. And far and away those nittos were the best road holding tire. The eagles wore well, the kumhos were sticky but didn't last long, the KDWs were not as good for how much they cost. The nittos have a high treadwear and at the time had the widest contact patch (ie. more traction potential) for similar sized tires because they put more and bigger tread blocks to the payment. When those tires were warmed up, the held like glue, pretty close to a racing slick and they don't break the bank.

However, that was great for the audi awd, heavy cars, etc. For our mustangs, the nittos have a high tread wear rating so they are hard and the KDWs and eagles are softer so for street driving they might be better traction wise. But if you road race or get those nittos warm I think they will hook great and last longer.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 AM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering about the height myself. So I should go with 295/40 in the rear, and 245/45 in the front? Sound good?

And so you're kinda recommending the Nittos, and not at the same time? I don't really plan on tracking it much, at least until the warranty wears off. So I may just go with the KDWs for now. I dunno though, because I can get the Nittos for a lot less. Sigh* Decision, decisions...
Old 12-11-2006, 02:54 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

SlappyGT,

You did not indicate what you want the tire to do more.

If you track the car or do aggressive street driving and care more about cornering grip than hooking from a dig, get the nittos.

If you plan on taking the car down the drag strip or the impromptu street race, get a softer tire like the kumho ecsta MX, the KDs, or a drag radial.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

UrS4, good point. I'm leaning more towards the second option you stated. I don't plan to track it a whole lot, or go autocrossing. I honestly just don't have the time. Like I said, maybe once the warranty wears out, but then I'll probably go for different, lighter wheels anyhow. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the KDWs. I've had good experiences with them, and let's just face it...they look cool.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Faulken Azenis, they are almost a drag radial but with 200 tread wear, good grip and not really noisy. I really commend them.

Att. Andrew
Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

I like the Azenis, but this is my daily driver, I need to get SOME mileage out of my tires. I plan to keep the stock rims for winter, because I know none of these tires will help me in the wonderful ice we get down here in NC (not that ANY tires do, really).

I'm leaning towards the BFGs still. Question, should I go with 285/40/18 in the rear, and 245/45/18 in the front? Is it possible to put wider on the front, or would it just be a hassle?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

255/45/18 on the front is the usuall size for the front 18x9

Quick Reply: Tire opinions...