Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF IS MY CAR DOING??? AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:25 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: WTF IS MY CAR DOING??? AHHHHH!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Drew47000000

I dont even know what a "DS" is, but the car is strictly stock to the best of my knowledge.. I bought the car with like 5,000 miles on it, and Ive looked throughout the car and believe I would notice an aftermarket part if I saw one, but I cant say for sure that it is indeed down to every nut/washer... Basically nothing that jumps out like headers/cai/mufflers/etc. There could be 3.73's but I wouldnt know by physically looking at it ( esp. since I cant compare it with a before/after ride)... The car only does this from the launch, otherwise the car rides fairly smooth with a slight pull at higher speeds that I think may be an alignment issue.
DS is a drive shaft and if it's not at speeds also then it is not the DS. It is probably wheel hop due to the way you are attempting to launch the car but the best advice is to take it in for a check.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:29 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Like everyone else said. You have wheel hop.

Now, I have a question. You traded in your auto for a stick for "obvious reasons"? What are the obvious reasons to trade an auto for a stick? Keep in mind any pretty much any "fast" car on a drag strip is going to be an auto before you answer.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

yup. Our cars have wicked wheelhop.....you either have to light the tires up or not spin them at all.

It's always a good idea to get something checked out by the dealer if you think there is a problem but I would hesitate to go in there and tell them that I was beating on the car LOL. By the way you described everything in your car flying around, I would guess that it is probably wheel hop and not any serious issues.

Ford gives us the weakest, most pathetic, stamped lower trailing arms and huge rubber bushings on the third link. That is where all your "bounce" comes from. I have Steeda chromoly tubular non adjustable lower trailing arms and the steeda adjustable panhard bar on my car and the wheelhop is pretty much gone completely..........the stiffer springs and shocks probably help too LOL.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

To answer this question.....

Now, I have a question. You traded in your auto for a stick for "obvious reasons"? What are the obvious reasons to trade an auto for a stick? Keep in mind any pretty much any "fast" car on a drag strip is going to be an auto before you answer.
In my opinion I would generally say that that someone who trades an automatic for a manual would be generally doing it for the fun factor... Am I right or wrong guys???

Please dont take offense to this if yours is an auto, because I originally bought one so theirs no reason I should shoot them down. And with all do respect manual cars Generally are quicker than sticks, for the "OBVIOUS" reasons such as not having the torque converters, not having ability to launch the car at higher RPM, etc. etc. So if you think that the fast cars at the drag strip are automatic then I guess we have a difference in opinion. Maybe your right, and if you are I think you should go over to the NHRA and tell the pro's they should be dropping auto's in their drag cars LOL. Anyhow like I previously mentioned, obvious reasons for trading an auto to a stick to a mustang enthusiast would more than likely be something to do with fun factor not something stupid like gaining ONE MPG, (according to the sticker) LOL!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

+1 to the wheel hop. I have it on my 05 sometimes usually more pronounced with TCS on.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Wheel hop is best described by the rear of the car shaking up and down. violently in the case with my truck after removing the middle leaf spring to lower it more.

So wheel hop is exactly what it says, the rear wheels are hopping off the ground.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

yup and if you have seen the commercial with the son and father on a roof and the son burns out. they show a close up of the back wheels and you see the wheel hop. Kind of funny seeing ford show it like that. I changed my two lower and upper control arms and the problem was solved so good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: billyjo

yup and if you have seen the commercial with the son and father on a roof and the son burns out. they show a close up of the back wheels and you see the wheel hop. Kind of funny seeing ford show it like that. I changed my two lower and upper control arms and the problem was solved so good luck.
yup and if you have seen the commercial with the son and father on a roof and the son burns out.

On a roof? Looked like an open parking lot to me.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:30 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Drew47000000

To answer this question.....

In my opinion I would generally say that that someone who trades an automatic for a manual would be generally doing it for the fun factor... Am I right or wrong guys???

Please dont take offense to this if yours is an auto, because I originally bought one so theirs no reason I should shoot them down. And with all do respect manual cars Generally are quicker than sticks, for the "OBVIOUS" reasons such as not having the torque converters, not having ability to launch the car at higher RPM, etc. etc. So if you think that the fast cars at the drag strip are automatic then I guess we have a difference in opinion. Maybe your right, and if you are I think you should go over to the NHRA and tell the pro's they should be dropping auto's in their drag cars LOL. Anyhow like I previously mentioned, obvious reasons for trading an auto to a stick to a mustang enthusiast would more than likely be something to do with fun factor not something stupid like gaining ONE MPG, (according to the sticker) LOL!!!!
Spoken like someone who has never driven a 10 second car.

No offense taken. My car is not an auto. But now that it is over 500hp, I kind of wish it was. And as for your NHRA comment, i'm pretty sure that is comparing apples to oranges. We are talking street cars here, not top fuel. A properly tuned auto transmission is going to out perform a standard more times than not simply because of the consistancy factor.

Don't let your big secret of not being able to launch at higher RPM get out to the public, you will probably drive all of the trans brake manufacturers out of business.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:43 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

You are describing "Wheel Hop" no doubt. I have an auto and when I launch hard on a smooth surface I get NO wheel hop. But if I launch on a bumpy surface the wheel hop can be very severe. The rougher the road the worse the hop. Are you on a smooth or rough surface when you get the wheel hop?

Quick Reply: WTF IS MY CAR DOING??? AHHHHH!!!!!!!