Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR JUST CUT OUT ON ME

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAR JUST CUT OUT ON ME

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Well this was all according to the dealer. The GM dealer claims computer doesn't hold the codes. The difference is that the Ford OBDII system stores the codes in an EEPROM (electronic erasable programmable read only memory) where the GM just stores it in ram something like the ram on your PC. Anything that is stored in an EEPROM will stay there until it is reset but with the GM the codes are gone as soon as you shut the engine off. Therefore it's no good for troubleshooting intermittent problems unless it happens to produce the trouble code while a diagnostic tool is connected to it.
I am not sure who or where you got that GM info but it is completely wrong unless the car is pretty old. And if a dealer told you that then they are blowing smoke up yourass.The GM computers do in fact store codes and one of the great things that the GM have that the Ford system do not is they have a misfire counter for each cylinder. Something that makes tracking a misfire very easy which unlike the Fords cannot be done. Let's say with the Ford you have a COP go out and it is only failing under load and does not trigger a CEL well since the ECM has no misfire counter you either have to wait until the CEL triggers to tell you which cylinder or if your lucky enough to own the 10k IDS Scan tool hook the car up to it and watch live data.

Richard
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

Well yesterday I put all my stock stuff on since I'm gonna take it in this week and its running fine now and it really seems to have more seat of the pants acceleration compared to the tune, shifts are stock sloppy and not firm like the tunes but I didn' tnotice any throttle lag difference between the stock tune and stock intake and the evo tune and CAI. Of course I didn't notice a difference when I 1st got it either to be honest. I emailed Fred to see what he things or if he has any ideas.[/align]
Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

You really should make sure you don't have the passenger-side leak. My car has shut off once while idling, and had trouble starting on another occasion, and I believe it was because of the water leak messing with the electronics.

On the other hand, what you described later in this thread seemed like maybe a fuel delivery problem...not sure how you would proceed to prove/disprove though...

As for GMs and the the computer storing codes, I think probably anything pre-OBD II doesn't store the codes. I remember my check engine light coming on when my EGR valve wasn't working correctly, but when I went to AutoZone to get the code read, they said that they could only read it when the light was on, and the car was running. It took forever to diagnose because it would come on every once and a while, and then reset itself when the car was turned off. This was a 1994 Buick [&:]
Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Sounds familiar to me, when I first got my mustang my car just shut off on my way to work. Turned out something was wrong with the electrical system, because like you said I just started it back up and all was well but then a few minutes later it happened again.

This was less than 100 miles on my odometer and i was just like WTF. So it had to go back to Ford and I told them I wanted a completely different car and they agreed so that was that!

-Jeff
Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Get it diagnosed at a dealer. They hook it up and Taaa Daaa it shows up on there computer what went wrong. I would say it was something in the electrical component to the ignition or what every fires the plugs. But I’m old, So ?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Cops nearby were probably testing an E gun on your or in your vicinity. Electronic ignition jammers are being tested widely in many departments right now.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

it would seem to me that would be pretty dangerous..

check out the major malfunctions on any car. i bet that 90% of the time they are stupid electrical problems. when i get my next car, itll have power windows, power locks, and an ignition. my friends dad had an $80,000 BMW and it was in the shop all the time because of electrical stuff.

good luck with your problem tho hopefully it doesnt happen again
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Cops nearby were probably testing an E gun on your or in your vicinity. Electronic ignition jammers are being tested widely in many departments right now.
Yeahhhh, that would be the most likely reason.

LMAO.

"If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." Also see: Occam's Razor.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

There is a known issue with our fuel pumps having issues. I believe there is a TSB on it.

That problem as I remember it talked of "hesitation" at highway speeds, but it may well be worth suspecting it as a culprit in this case.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 AM
los2007
1st Gear Member

ya my car did the same thing i was on the freeway doing about 60 and it just cut off the wheel locked up and the brake was hard too and i didnt know what was up and it was on the freeways so that made it hella wired but ya i pulled right over and restarted it and it was back to being normal and then i took it to get it checked out and they ran test on it and they said they couldnt tell me why it did that and that was a waste of 95 bucks so ya my car has been driveing normal but i hope it doesnt do that again cuz that is dangerous when ur on the freeway