Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is touch up paint worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Is touch up paint worth it?

Hey guys you think its worth it to get some touch up paint for these, or will it just be pointless?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is touch up paint worth it?

Ok, here goes the dumb question...which part of the stang is this...can't make it out...probably somewhere in the front of course...
Old 12-17-2006, 05:28 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Wow. Rough looking chips.

It would give you piece of mind knowing you no longer have the chips, but if they are that bad and you have to drive the same roads that caused them, you are probably wasting your time.

Perhaps have the bumper repainted and invest in a 3m clear bra.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think so...are those rock chips? ther are many good repair kits that look better than just filling the chips and calling it the day. If I had chips on my Black GT I would definitely do it as black shows everything and silver hides alot. I did get a chip in the silver stripes on the hood and it looks great and I have a hard time finding it when I detail the car! any hope that convinces you the just at least fill them in with touch up!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

Ok, here goes the dumb question...which part of the stang is this...can't make it out...probably somewhere in the front of course...
Ah, sorry about that [&:] Could have sworn I wrote it... but Im not all here today, stupid cold. [:'(] Its the chin spoiler.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:37 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Wow. Rough looking chips.

It would give you piece of mind knowing you no longer have the chips, but if they are that bad and you have to drive the same roads that caused them, you are probably wasting your time.

Perhaps have the bumper repainted and invest in a 3m clear bra.
Yeah they are pretty bad... thats from about a foot away, and when standing back even 10 feet you can clearly see them. The black just stands out so much on the silver, even though the chips themselves are like.. 1/8th of an inch big. I got them because I used to drive a highway to school that was under construction and the little pebbles of left over asphalt would fly up and then bounce for like days on end until they hit my car. I even was very cautious and followed people from like 100 feet back but I still managed to get TONS of chips. I have that section of those there, another section of 3 or 4 on the other side and then.. probably 8 others scattered around the front, including 2 on the hood and 1 on the ROOF(?!) and 1 on each side. I plan on getting a 3m bra but was cautious about getting it and then having to take it off/get another once I get new a hood. Also I have the CDC Aggressive so Im not sure how Id work that out considering the bra kits are cut to fit a stock Stang.

mygt500
I think so...are those rock chips? ther are many good repair kits that look better than just filling the chips and calling it the day. If I had chips on my Black GT I would definitely do it as black shows everything and silver hides alot. I did get a chip in the silver stripes on the hood and it looks great and I have a hard time finding it when I detail the car! any hope that convinces you the just at least fill them in with touch up!
What kind of "repair kits" do you mean? I dont think Ive ever seen anything like that before. If silver hides alot of dings, mine must be the exception. [&:] And yeah I was thinking about touching them up but Ive seen some pretty nasty touch up jobs before and was just wondering if it would be better off just to wait awhile and get the sections totally repainted.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:37 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Have tried touch up paint in the past and it will definatly show. Your much better off taking it to a body shop and having it smoothed out. I don't think you will be happy with how it looks after touch up paint.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I know what ya mean, I got a few big chips on my front bumper. That's one reason I am getting some stripes. [8D]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

That's a tough color to match, but you also have to deal with "the blob." Check out the "blob smoother" at http://www.langka.com ... it's worth a try.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

imo yes. being on the chin spoiler, it will be a great place
to practice your technique, for when you get chips on
the front bumper and hood

Quick Reply: Is touch up paint worth it?