Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good is the Traction Control on the 05-07 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
JimC

Default RE: How good is the Traction Control on the 05-07 Mustang?

ORIGINAL: NewMustang
So, is the Traction Control unit on the GT same as those on V6?
Anyone Mustang V6 owner here that has TC equipped? How good is it? It gets quite a bit snow here, I'm not sure if I should drive it when it snows. Don't want to crash my new car.
Thanks.
I don't know if it is the same as the GT, but I have it on my V6 and it works great. We've had some pretty slick roads and it helped keep things planted when I saw lots of other cars (including front wheel drive) going off the road. I drive 60 miles one way to work, all expressway, and have not had any problems -- have felt it kick in several times without my having to worry, including on a patch of black ice (which is extremely hard to see in the best of light, and nearly impossible to see at 6 a.m. or in the evening)
Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I think it does exactly what it is designed to do however unless it's raining I drive with it off. It's great in the rain but in dry pavement it is in my opinion dangerous. I was going hard into a corner once and she got a little loose in the back which would have been fine except for the the fact that that traction control caught when I was in the middle of trying to compensate. Had the car just been allowed to spin I would have been fine but I just wasn't expecting it to suddenly grab and I almost lost it. From that point on I always drive with the TCS off unless it is raining.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:39 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Useless in the snow.
A great feature in the rain.
Always off in the dry.

In the rain, sometimes i forget just how much torque the motor puts out.
I've punched the gas in 3rd to pass a car a few times in the rain and if the traction control didnt step in, my rear end would step out a foot and i'd be sideways down the street.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:03 AM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

I had mine shut off in the tune, much happier. If your not familar with rear wheel drive it probably won't compensate for your lack of knowledge.
So you can have it turned off with the tune. Does that mean that the default setting is off and you need to push the button to turn it on? On the rare occasion that I drive in the rain I want the TC, otherwise I want it off. fd
Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

My feeling is it works ok. The mustang is a rear wheel drive sports car so it isn't the greatest in the snow. I think the tc helped me a bit in the snow but you will slide out if you are not careful. I think I'm going to get snow tires for the winter. Would love to have a second car but that isn't going to happen so I will just probabl get snow tires. I have used the tc in te rain also and it does slide out if you are not careful. If you get a mustang be prepaired for the rai and snow and just don't drive like a moron in it and you will be fine.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 AM
BrianGT72396

when i turn my car on is the Traction ontroll on or off. i raced a pontiac GTO and i was bone stock and so was he. When the light turned green i just spun tires why did it do this...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

its saved me in the rain a few times, but like everyone said above, its off on dry roads.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

It works, you'll get a little spin before it kicks in.
I have it off in my tune, i've never driven the car in snow or rain.

I've been much more impressed by traction systems in some BMWs and Audis I've driven. Leaps and bounds better, Ford did an alright job though.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

what traction control?

i popped the clutch at a stop sign merging onto a highway and my wheels totally broke traction and i got sidewaysand i don't know that the traction control did anything at all!

i guess it's possible that had it not been on it could have been worse...

it's kicked on before going around corners but it usually seems like too little too late.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Traction control is good on the GT, BUT you can out drive it. You can also turn it off, and that is when the fun starts. LOL

Quick Reply: How good is the Traction Control on the 05-07 Mustang?