Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Well... There Goes $60...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Rsmin
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Oh Well... There Goes $60...

The guy that did mine already knew about the moleskin and did it at no extra cost. Also never said a thing about the back window (uses a computer that cuts the tint out perfectly to the window) and it was perfect, no bubbles. I have had it for 3 months with no scratches.

Extremely happy with it.

Rusty : )

Old 12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ANBAUTO

can people take pics of how bad the tint gets

Awhile back someone posted some photos that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...recommend you do a quick search using the tool above. Set the time to about 1 year and the count to 300 to find it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Why do people blame Ford when their cheesy plastic film window tint gets all scratched? It's basic physics. Lets have a look at what is going on here.
1) A thin, soft plastic film is applied to a window
2) The window moves up and down against a weather tight seal
3) Debris gets on the window and gets caught between the window and the seal as it moves up and down and scratches the tint.

This is Ford's fault HOW?????
I suppose some people might make the argument that Ford should not make the seal so tight. Well if they didn't like they did years ago you would be getting water inside the door. Notice that doesn't happen any more?
There's a reason for that!
The better seal would be that reason.
Remember when the bottoms of doors rusted out???

Sorry if I seem bitter. It's only that this is about the 87th time I have seen a post similar to this and I think is just ridiculous to blame a car manufacturer for some cheap after market product that gets damaged because of something that to anyone with even the tiniest but of logical thought process will KNOW is bound to fail under these conditions.

/rant
Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Sorry, but about 90% of everyone tints their windows to some extent, Ford should have taken that into consideration. It IS possible to apply tint to a watertight seal and not have it mess up the tint, just look at most all other cars. Sorry to say this, but we have a Chevy truck thats tinted and the tint on it isnt scratched... o, and its water tight too. Dont get me wrong, I love my Mustang but there ARE flaws in the design no matter how much some of you dont want to admit it. The dropping window thing is a great idea and it will keep our cars water tight for many years while the F-bodies continue to leak, but the window padding (where the moleskin goes) stinks. Look at most any other car and it comes with some sort of "moleskin" felt already on it, ours does not. THAT is Fords fault.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

ok fair enough. I don't bother with tint because it seems that so many other people have problems with it therefore my experience with it is limited. I was just trying to apply some basic physics to the problem based on the fact that I have seen scratched window tint on all sorts of makes and models of vehicles. I would however like to point out that I don't think it's Ford's responsibility to ensure that their weather seals work with after market tint. Their responsibility ends with ensuring that the window seal does not leak. Sure I agree with you that it would be possible for Ford to do this. Apparently they didn't for whatever reason but I would be willing to live with something like that because they did such a great job in most other areas of the car. Sure the Mustang has some flaws but when you consider that you are getting for the money there's not car out there that looks as good and is more fun to drive.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Why do people blame Ford when their cheesy plastic film window tint gets all scratched? It's basic physics. Lets have a look at what is going on here.
3) Debris gets on the window and gets caught between the window and the seal as it moves up and down and scratches the tint.

I suppose some people might make the argument that Ford should not make the seal so tight. Well if they didn't like they did years ago you would be getting water inside the door. Notice that doesn't happen any more?

Sorry if I seem bitter. It's only that this is about the 87th time I have seen a post similar to this and I think is just ridiculous to blame a car manufacturer for some cheap after market product that gets damaged because of something that to anyone with even the tiniest but of logical thought process will KNOW is bound to fail under these conditions.

/rant
Well lets look at this a little further. The scratches are on the inside of the door window where the tint is applied. The good weather stripping is on the outside where the water usually comes from. They put a firmer strip on the inside to help hold the glass out for a better seal. That strip on the inside is a hard rubber with not much give. It will collect dirt particals and scratch the heck out of any tint.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ok fair enough. I don't bother with tint because it seems that so many other people have problems with it therefore my experience with it is limited. I was just trying to apply some basic physics to the problem based on the fact that I have seen scratched window tint on all sorts of makes and models of vehicles. I would however like to point out that I don't think it's Ford's responsibility to ensure that their weather seals work with after market tint. Their responsibility ends with ensuring that the window seal does not leak. Sure I agree with you that it would be possible for Ford to do this. Apparently they didn't for whatever reason but I would be willing to live with something like that because they did such a great job in most other areas of the car. Sure the Mustang has some flaws but when you consider that you are getting for the money there's not car out there that looks as good and is more fun to drive.
O, I definitely agree, Ford did very good on our car. Afterall, I bought one... and Ill never sell it, lol I love this thing! But like anything made by man, it has flaws and can be improved. Im not sure why Ford didnt add the felt to the inside of the windows because it seems all the previous Mustangs have it already. I also agree that its not mandatory that Ford accommodate for aftermarket stuff, but many other car manufacturers do and thats a plus in alot of peoples books.

I also know people who have bought new Mustangs and tint was already installed on it by the dealership... so when that tint starts to scratch whos fault will it be? Will it be the owners fault that the dealership took it on themselves to install "aftermarket" tint? Who should be required to pay for it to be fixed? Surely the dealership isnt going to fork out money to fix it... and the owner shouldnt be penalized.. Ford will probably end up getting stuck with the bill.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:16 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

/rant
(Sorry all I couldnt get the camera to capture the scratches)

My husband is a Ford tech and we have been with Ford for over 6-years. I consider myself very loyal to Ford (give great feedback on their surveys). We have had (5) mustangs, as old as an 87 on up to my 07. That is not counting the high dollar Ford trucks we have owned either. I have never come across this type of problem with any ofthe Fords we have ownedso I have to say, YES, this is a Ford design hickie. My car went into the shop this morning and the first thing the service department told me is that they wanted to make sure the glass was not scratched. I understand your setiments, and in another situation it may be very valid, however, I dont consider the tint I paid $150 for, cheesy. In Texas, our climate is horrible in the summer so 99% of all vehicles have tint and some right from the dealer. As a vehicle manufacturer, Ford has to consider all the differentmarkets to insure the caris designed to meet consumer needs and tastes. All Im saying is that Ford should have taken the tint into consideration when they made design improvements to the door for leaking.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
roothog69
1st Gear Member

Some have had issues with the window itself having scratches inthemnot just the tint. I installed the moleskin right after tinting and no scratches in 4 months. This is a FORD issue and should be taken care of, tinted or not. Who's fault is it when the manufacturer gets cheap and cut's back on quality, certainly not the consumer...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roothog69

Some have had issues with the window itself having scratches in them not just the tint.
I have this problem. I took my car to the dealer to figure out why my tint was being scratched and they inspected it and said that not only was my tint scratched but my glass was as well. So as soon as I can I have to peel off my tint, then take the car in to have both windows replaced and then they have to keep it longer to figure out what is scratching the windows and why. They seem to think its the door rollers as most of the scratches are near them.

Quick Reply: Oh Well... There Goes $60...