Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressed by a C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 AM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

Default Impressed by a C6 Corvette

Well I was tooling around with a new C6 corvette this evening (mods unknown) and this guy went full throttle while we were on a two lane road and he was already in front of me when we started. Well after about 80 or so he started to walk away from me pretty good. This is the first time a car has pulled on me since I bought my car about 8 months ago. I wonder what it takes to get a N/A 05+ GT to run with a C6,I'll betthat this guy I was racing assumed I would turn into a speck in his mirror right away. Maybe when the newFAST intake system comes out I can close in this gap a little more my car vs. these new Vettes.

opps, I thought I was posting this in the street strip section, sorry moderators!

Old 12-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Impressed by a C6 Corvette

He must have been modded, because you should have been able to hang with him with your mods.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:22 AM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

Yes, my car does accelerate like a nasty beast but a few things were hurting me here, hit the rev limiter in 2nd and was doing a lot of fish tailing, I need some wider tires in the back and I normally dont hit the rev limiter in second but I must say since I installed this powerhouse driveshaft my drivetrain is spooling up really really quick! I do think a C6 will knock off a 12.5 quarter mile time pretty consistantly. Not sure what my times are but I should be close to that.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:18 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I raced one from 70mph to about 135-140 and was right behind him the whole time. This was before my cams were installed and was on 408 here in Florida. The only reason I was behind him was because on the on-ramp he was tailing me and then floored past me and I just tailed him the rest of the way.

We were side by side fooling around for a bit, him flooring his car and letting off but he didn't know what 3 honks meant I guess. Anyway we stopped once we reached a toll booth, he exhaust because it was pretty loud.

-Jeff
Old 12-24-2006, 03:21 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Revlefty

He must have been modded, because you should have been able to hang with him with your mods.
Could have been a Z06. Those are beasts -- very well engineered machines. I'd be very surprised if even a supercharged 'Stang held with a Z06. A S/C 'Stang would easily hang with an off the shelf 'Vette.

Also, those 4.10s didn't help at the higher speeds.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:27 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Must've been just a stock C6, then, and not the Z06. If it had been, you quite literally would have been a speck in the guy's mirror, even with your mods.

I'm guessing that you're probably pushing what, 375 hp, with the mods that you've got?

A stock Corvette is running 400 hp, is going to be about 200 lbs lighter than the Mustang, and probably has the 3.42 rear end in it, if it's a manual...Which means that yeah, you'd get the jump on him at the start, but once he hits the higher speeds, it's all over...And if it was the Z06? He would have been toying with you, with a 505 hp motor...

I'm just trying to be realistic. I mean, when Road & Track is comparing the 2006 Z06 with the Dodge Viper, and saying that it's every bit as good, well...Chevy's doing something right with the Corvette.

I've always tried to judge my opponents when I'm going to race, have an idea what the gearing, HP, etc. is stock, and then figure out if they might've modded the car at all...
Old 12-24-2006, 04:48 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

yea a z06 would RAPE you from a roll. that ls7 is rediculous from a roll and a dig. it had to be a c6. I can see him pulling with bolt ons and since he didn't really pull hard i assume that is what he had.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

I was right on his assuntil top of second and then boom I hit rev limiter, I was not expecting to stay on his tail too long, but if I were stock I would have been that spec inhis mirror for sure! We went up to about 110mph, I wish we could have gone from a dig or at least side by side or something.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I'm going to have to agree... it was a C6... Z06 are no joke -- I mean the dam thing hangs with a viper if not beats it. I haven't had an oppurtunity yet to race any vettes since all the ones I seem to see are driven by old men and are past the whole racing thing.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:25 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

be very surprised if even a supercharged 'Stang held with a Z06
Probably many supercharged/turbo mustangscould keep up with or leave behinda stockC6 Z06. I'm in the high 11s already for the 1/4 and still have stock gears and rear-end (although I do have 315 DRs on rear). I am scheduled to have a bullet-proof rear end and 4:10 gears installed in January... may take-off as much as another 0.5 sec in the quarter.

Quick Reply: Impressed by a C6 Corvette