Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted stripes - over paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painted stripes - over paint?

Unless he's a close friend that does this in a top quality shop, doing you a favor, I would be very hesitant here. The $400 will be pretty much used up in material cost. ...If this is not a friend doing you a favormake sure you see similar work, particularly stripes, before going forward with this. Idon't like the sound of this at all. No one is getting clearcoated stripes for $400 or even double that. Pretty much all but the sides of the car would get clearcoated and you can't get that alone for $400 never mind having stripes done as well. ...somethin more to this story... or there will be. ...be careful, it's your baby!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

OK when I had mine done we stripped the cars factory paint off every panel to have the stripes, this is for the fact that I wanted the stripes smooth, if you paint them over the factory paint it never will be. As far as cost, $400 will (as said by fairlane292) go mostly to cost of supplies. I always say get an example first from the shop that will be doing the work also that way ou know what to expect, even if it is a friend. Remeber it costs less to do it right the first time =)
Old 12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I just trusted the guy's judgement as I did with most of the rest of the car. They way he explained it, it sounded like there would be more labor and material used in the future if any damage occured anywhere in order to make the damaged panel look as if it had never been damaged before. Money wasn't an issue up front, as I had cash in hand to pay whatever the cost would be.

Full paint, cleared, new painted Rousch spoiler and 5% tint on coupe windows and back window= $1600.

2oo5stang,
I put the vinyl strips on the hood of my 01 GT and never had to sand anything. I ordered my kit through Graphic Express and it had clear, easy instructions. I don't think your guy needs to sand on the finish, ask him and see what he knows. Also, if you mess up while applying the kit to your car, Graphic Express will replace the peice you messed up for a "very minimal price."
Old 12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I opted for the vinyl stripe as well. That way if I ever have a fender bender or something similar, I dont have to pay a lot extra for custom paint. I can just reorder the stripe. And vinyl is cheaper...

I'm not saying I hope for an accident but for me an ounce of prevention....

Paint does look better especially if you're a purist.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:51 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

So do they HAVE to sand the area of the stripes? Is it ONLY the area of the stipe or the whole panel that has to be sanded and clear coated? Seems like both are an option but the first (do only the area of the stripe would probably be cheaper... Thanks for any comments or answers.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Take the hood for example: The entire hood (after cleaning incl wax removal) has to be sanded. Much of the OE clearcoat will be sanded off but not all. It will have a flat finish. Base coat color stripes will be painted on (they are not sanded after application, material is thin) and then the entire hood recleared (2-4 coats depending on how they apply them;clear will beslightly deeper at the stripe edge, not that you can see this). I would only have it done by a shop that then sands the clear and rotary buffs as std practice. It's worth the extra for this believe me. Some shops may sand and clear the adjacent top surface of the fender (same with decklid) that way that plane of light all looks the same. (i.e. no orange peel, glassy wet look)

btw, if you know, say a couple weeks ahead that your car is going in to the paint shop. You can wash it but do not apply any wax, tire dressing, interior protectants, etc; this stuff can get airborn and end up in your new paint work. They'll probably tell you this anyway... just in case they forget to, you know.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

mattblasi: Your car is "sick", "scary" and "sophisticated" all in one!!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

paint looks way better

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/F773F729643440BF9C360035F74440B9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

so hey anyone from nj here and know any good shops to do this, i wanna do them good the first time, get them painted one, i heard that vinyl bubbles when it rains, but i rather have my ride preped and painted to have a smooth finish and do they charge more for a different type of stripe? i want the larger middle one with two skinny sides
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
white531
1st Gear Member

My vinyl stripes look real good outside,but in my shop under the flourcent lights they look real fuzzy or texured.Anyone else have a comment.

Quick Reply: Painted stripes - over paint?