Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your hood hard to shut with hood struts???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Is your hood hard to shut with hood struts???

I just installed the MRT hood struts and for a few minutes I thought I had done something wrong. I could not get the damn hood to shut and it felt like something was hitting. After double checking everything I grabbed the hood catch and slung it downward and voila! it shut with no complaints. I think it's just the fact that the hood is so light weight. My wife"s Pt cruiser hood must weigh twice as much and it looks half as big.

Does everyone with hood struts have to sling the hood downward?

I not only removed the prop rod, but I also removed the big ugly black piece of plastic that it rests on.I then realized just how loose isthe front grille/foglight assembly. I'm going to have to fab some aluminum brackets to permanently attach it to the core support.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is your hood hard to shut with hood struts???

Not MRT's, but I have CDC struts....No hood slinging necessary.......latches quite easily.....

Sorry,
Mike
Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

Think Im going to purchase the Steeda hood supports, they look awesome..
Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

I have the MRT struts and they've never had any binding or clearance issues. Shuts just like it did with the stock hinges (which is pretty violent).

For some reason I think the S197 latch has really got a heavy duty spring in it and it takes a lot of force to latch it anyway. I've always had to hold mine up about a foot or so and just let it fall by itself. No big deal.

UB10
Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well they appear to be exactly the same and mounting in the same location. I first tried pushing it closed which wasn't happening. I then tried simply dropping it like I would normally do which also didn't work. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Not MRT's, but I have CDC struts....No hood slinging necessary.......latches quite easily.....

Sorry,
Mike
Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

Thats how I shut mine too, Underbird
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A foot? I'm pretty sure I had to drop mine from 3 feet before. I think the struts are slowing it down to much so now I have to throw it down to get it to latch. At any rate i'm glad to get rid of that prop rod and big piece of plastic. I'd much rather look at the upper radiator mounts instead of more freaking plastic!

ORIGINAL: underbird10

I have the MRT struts and they've never had any binding or clearance issues. Shuts just like it did with the stock hinges (which is pretty violent).

For some reason I think the S197 latch has really got a heavy duty spring in it and it takes a lot of force to latch it anyway. I've always had to hold mine up about a foot or so and just let it fall by itself. No big deal.

UB10
Old 12-26-2006, 10:27 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Well they appear to be exactly the same and mounting in the same location. I first tried pushing it closed which wasn't happening. I then tried simply dropping it like I would normally do which also didn't work. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.
Hmm....odd. If I just set my hood down on the latch, just a slight hand pressure downward and it latches no problem. Or, to UB10's point, if the hood is held up slightly, then dropped, it latches no sweat....

When you installed the struts, did you keep one hand on the back of the hood, and not allow it to slide at all? Granted, there is not much room for play with the bolts installed, but even a slight bit of slide may cause mis-alignment issues.....

Mike
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

A foot? I'm pretty sure I had to drop mine from 3 feet before. I think the struts are slowing it down to much so now I have to throw it down to get it to latch. At any rate i'm glad to get rid of that prop rod and big piece of plastic. I'd much rather look at the upper radiator mounts instead of more freaking plastic!

ORIGINAL: underbird10

UB10
Maybe a little lube on the latch mechanism is in order....??? Three feet seems like a lot.

UB10
Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It moved a little, but I don't think there is enough play to cause a problem. I mean to get the upper bolt back in it had to be lined up perfect.

I think my hood is harder to close than most. I'm going to give it a closer look on Thursday.

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Hmm....odd. If I just set my hood down on the latch, just a slight hand pressure downward and it latches no problem. Or, to UB10's point, if the hood is held up slightly, then dropped, it latches no sweat....

When you installed the struts, did you keep one hand on the back of the hood, and not allow it to slide at all? Granted, there is not much room for play with the bolts installed, but even a slight bit of slide may cause mis-alignment issues.....

Mike

Quick Reply: Is your hood hard to shut with hood struts???