Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Che K-member brace + torque limiters..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Installed my Che K-member brace + torque limiters..

I haven't driven it yet so i'll update this post tomorrow, but the install went fairly smooth. Some things that may helps others are:

1. The inner k member nuts that need to be removed are an odd size, I believe 21mm because a 13/16 closed end wrench fit, but very, very tight.

2. Don't put the smaller bolts in the k member brace first like the instructions say. I did this and could not get the larger bolts to go in even with the small bolts completely loose. I had to completely remove the small bolts to get the larger bolts in.

3. Be sure to use locktite on the bell housing bolts and torque limiter nuts. I've read a few posts about the nuts on the adjustable torque limiters working loose and i'll probably have to redo mine with a stronger locktite since I only had the medium strength.

Sorry, no pictures.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed my Che K-member brace + torque limiters..

I never used locktite on mine and they did not work loose. As long as the jam nuts are tight they shouldnt move. I just had to take all mine apart for the LT install and eveything was still real tight. Not that I think locktite is a bad idea though.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well that's good to know. It seemed logical that they would work loose with all the pulling from the engine/transmission.

ORIGINAL: Riven02

I never used locktite on mine and they did not work loose. As long as the jam nuts are tight they shouldnt move. I just had to take all mine apart for the LT install and eveything was still real tight. Not that I think locktite is a bad idea though.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:11 AM
boomerman
1st Gear Member

This is one of those mods that most people do not do and it is a shame that they do not do it.
This was the very first mod I did to my car and it helped with the shifter binding that I was having.
When I first read about it most people said it would only be noticeable at WOT shifts and I have to disagree.
I noticed a difference when I went for a test drive after I installed it..
I think a lot of people do not do this mod because it is not one you see and can show off.
This is a great mod especially if you have the manual transmission.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree. I have been ponding on this thouht for a while since I don't go to the track and I'm not SC'd. Nonetheless, I drive her hard and I will consider it more.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I didn't get to do any WOT shifts today. My drive to work basically sucks and it's wall to wall cops. The first thing i noticed when i started the car was the obvious sound of the starter. I like it, but others may not. You can really hear the starter spinning now or maybe the starter spinning the flywheel. The next thing I noticed was how much more I could feel the engine, especially through the gas pedal of all places since it's not attached to the engine anymore. The stick shift feels more solid with less vibrations, i was expecting it to vibrate more although thinking about it now i'm not sure why.

I did a few high rpm shifts and could tell a definate difference. It's probably my imagination, but I swear it feels like I picked up a few ponies at the wheels. The car may not be more powerful, but it feels more powerful now.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM
giovani13
1st Gear Member

Don't forget the other benefit. We all know the torque limiters improve shifting, but don't forget many people have installed the K-member brace itself as a mod. One of the first things I noticed was the car was flatter and could comfortably go faster on an on-ramp. On tight turns the front end is definitely flat and steering is more precise.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I haven't driven it yet so i'll update this post tomorrow, but the install went fairly smooth. Some things that may helps others are:

1. The inner k member nuts that need to be removed are an odd size, I believe 21mm because a 13/16 closed end wrench fit, but very, very tight.

2. Don't put the smaller bolts in the k member brace first like the instructions say. I did this and could not get the larger bolts to go in even with the small bolts completely loose. I had to completely remove the small bolts to get the larger bolts in.

3. Be sure to use locktite on the bell housing bolts and torque limiter nuts. I've read a few posts about the nuts on the adjustable torque limiters working loose and i'll probably have to redo mine with a stronger locktite since I only had the medium strength.

Sorry, no pictures.
The loctite is probably a good idea...I didn't use it either. I have to recheck the torque on the bolts anyway, so I'll let you know if they've worked loose. I have some of the red loctite so I'll put some on if they've worked loose.
I did notice that the K member brace tightened the steering up a little.

I see that you have CHE LCAs. Did you have any issues installing them? I have adjustable CHE LCAs sitting in the garage that I'm going to install when I get a chance. I've heard that the axle can shift a little and getting the bolts back in can be a little bit of a problem sometimes. One guy used rachet tie down straps wrapped around the axle and then hooked to the frame to move the axle back into place.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

I see that you have CHE LCAs. Did you have any issues installing them? I have adjustable CHE LCAs sitting in the garage that I'm going to install when I get a chance. I've heard that the axle can shift a little and getting the bolts back in can be a little bit of a problem sometimes. One guy used rachet tie down straps wrapped around the axle and then hooked to the frame to move the axle back into place.
No problems here. I installed one side at a time. Even if the axle were to shift slightly you could simply adjust the control arms to fit and then adjust them back once installed. One turn of the control arm will easily move the bottom of the axle.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I have it..Its Great, love it.. Great price, and nice MOD..

A must have for our cars..

Quick Reply: Installed my Che K-member brace + torque limiters..