Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Decision is some what close...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Decision is some what close...

Well, for the past 2 weeks now I have been trying to find out what set of rear gears for street and stripto go with. I do appreciate everyones imput here, but there seems to be mixed emotions on what is the best gear to go with. I have visited other Stang forums, and there is the same controversy as well. Now, This week I have contacted so far6Performance shops whodo gear changes in the S197's inwhich 3 of them come highly recommened for knowing there stuff. Outcome... 2shops told me 3.73s, 2 shops told me leave what I have in there, and the last 2 shops told me 4.10s. What makes this a tad funny is each shop is telling mesomething different from a "technical " point on whats the best gear to go with for the car [:'(]. So I decided to get a gear chart anddo the mathmatical computations myself to see what I come up with. After plugging in some numbers, going 3.73's staying with the stocksize diametertire of 26" is perfect, of course going with a taller tire of 28" will work well with4.10s also. I was almost pretty soild on going with 4.10s, and that option is still there, butafter looking at it from a technical standpoint inwhich gear raito will work best with the car for my application of street and strip, it looks like 3.73'sisgoing to be it, unlessI go with changing out my rear tires, but then again that might in-tail other issues, plusI'll alsobe looking into torqure converters as well, So the research continues and I'll keep you guys posted. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Decision is some what close...

I have been having this same dilemma and finally decided to go with 4.10's for my app. I was torn between 3.73, 3.90, & 4.10... I feel your pain so good luck on your choice.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Moses 05GT, just curous, do you have a Stick or auto?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Moses is a stick
Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Moses 05GT

Moses is a stick
yeah, then 4.10s will work well for you . Ford Racing recommends 4.10's for Manual and 3.73s in Autos for the S197's. I didn't understand why myself until I just did the gear math [sm=bangbang.gif].
Old 12-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Captaincobalt

Quick S,

Can you share some of your calculations with us. I am also trying to decide between the 4:10 and the 3:73.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Captaincobalt

Quick S,

Can you share some of your calculations with us. I am also trying to decide between the 4:10 and the 3:73.

Thanks
The calculations came from a gear chart from Motive, inwhich Motive was very helpful when talking to them as well. Heres there site to get the chart. http://www.motivegear.com/pages/charts/charts.htm, besides the technical aspect of it, There are a ton of things to consider when getting gears. Theres the application of use for the car (Street, Strip or Both), gas milage ( if this is a concern ), future Mods that might effect the the gears you have or want to get, etc..... the list can go on once you sit down and really think about some of the issues you might have to face whenchanging out gears, on top of the technical aspect of it. so far what I've learned is gear choice is based on the individual and the goals they have for there car.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Quick S are you an auto or stick. If an auto I recommend 3.73 as the best gear for street/strip. The auto has such close spacing between 1st and 2nd 4.10 just doesn't work very well for a daily driver. Doug at B a m a chips had 4.10's in his auto and changed to 3.73. He recommends this ratio to all his auto customers.

Earl
Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

...Doug at B a m a chips had 4.10's in his auto and changed to 3.73. He recommends this ratio to all his auto customers...
I find it odd that he never told me that. And BTW, I have had no problems running 4.10s on my daily driver.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mister Roper

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

...Doug at B a m a chips had 4.10's in his auto and changed to 3.73. He recommends this ratio to all his auto customers...
I find it odd that he never told me that. And BTW, I have had no problems running 4.10s on my daily driver.
Thereare Noissues with running 4.10s in an automatic, as a daily driver,but like I mentioned in my first posting, to get the full benifits of running 4.10s, going to a 28" tire would work better then the stock size now of 26", Plus theres Stall speed to consider as well.And because the gear ratios are so close, the otherissue would be that ifyou hyperthecticly took twostock autostangs, one with 4.10s and one with3.73s, from a dig, the 4.10 car would basiclywin every time, but before the 4.10 stang would hit 80 MPH, the 3.73 stang would pass it, which all comes back to the individual, application, and goals they have for there car

Quick Reply: Gear Decision is some what close...