Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it be against the law for dealerships to mark up prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Should it be against the law for dealerships to mark up prices

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

"price gouging" for necessities like fuel, food, and water is a little different story than maximizing profit on limited supply luxury items.

The ADM finds it's own level. If people pay it, then the dealer had every right to charge it. If people won't pay it, then he is stuck with the car till he lowers his price. Economics 101.

Sorry, but suggesting more government regulation on things likeluxury car salesis silly.
They already have it; it's tagged as a "Gas Guzzler tax". Funny how it gets applied to high performance cars, or luxury cars, but not to actual gas guzzlers like SUVs...I wonder why that is? Hmm...
Old 12-30-2006, 10:33 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

no offense but everyone is screwing someone over in this government, first gas prices keep going up for no apparent reason and the jerks are gettin rich, now car prices are being bumped up, i also saw that with the gt500, and i got so mad, i walked out of the dealer, no offensive but if they want to mark it up they better show that they at least they put something new in it. its not worth it. ppl can get them from the companys for less, my friend preorder a convertible one and doesnt have to pay that terrible price
Old 12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I think if a dealer buys a car as a 'stock order' for sitting on the lot/showroom/whatever- its thiers and they should be able to ask whatever they want for it. My problem is when Ford lists a MSRP for a car, and I try to go order it and am not allowed...I think the 'fix' eventully will be that Ford will HAVE to start accepting MSRP orders thru the factory- but purchase/delivery will need arranged by purchaser thru a ford authorized dealer...and they get their cut of a 'hands off' MSRP deal, so they still make a decent profit without ever having to touch the car...If this scenario ever arises, THEN the 'illegal' thing will have to be hugely stiff penalties for those dealers that might be inclined to 'private order' cars for buyers that never show up...the buyers name will need attached to the documentation, and if they renig on the deal, then the car gets returned to general allocation banks, along with loss of hefty non-refundable deposit.

I really think if this was a buying option, a lot more dealers would not get tarnished reputations by the word of mouth damage that comes with every gougy deal they try to pull off, buyers would be happy, and the old 'first come/first served' rule would supercede allocation bs...when theyre gone, theyre gone...at least those that ordered/plunked down a deposit a year in advance wouldnt get outright screwed by dealers like so many folks did on the shelbys...read of far too many whose dealer returned the deposit and broke the deal due to the barret jackson syndrome...allocation serves the dealer, not the customer- Ford really needs to wake up and note that without loyal buyers, the dealers and Ford will cease to exist. We are the customers, the dealer is not except for stock orders they put on the lot. Retails need to be scheduled ahead of all stock/fleet orders, in first come/first served fashion- yes the hot models might sell out in a day, but so be it- first come first served, msrp pays the dealer a pretty hefty chunk of change for a car they didnt have to touch. I really think this would be the most fair way to handle the greed issue.
Otherwise, at a minimum I feel any car sold 'over sticker' the dealer should have to split the excess with Ford- hey Ford earned it CERTAINLY NOT THE DEALER.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: HDmstng
What's scarier is that so far 4 out of 11 people who voted were in favor of price controls, dang didn't think the commies had that much of a hold on the US anymore. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Not commies, just a failed educational system
Exactly.Ticket scalping is illegal for other reasons that cannot be compared to a dealer's choice to mark up his product. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Like everyone says it' s a free market. May beif Ford and the rest of the car manufacturers tried to influence the dealers to limit markups to 2-5% over MSRP they wouldn't be in as much trouble because more cars would sell. Don't forget there are only so many asses for these seats.I remember when I bought my 2001 Bullitt the dealer had a $3,000 dollar markup on the car I told the salesman I'll pay MSRP but no markup. They took the deal. The problem with todays society is there are to many asses out there with big bucks that will pay these rediculous prices, and that ruins it for us little guys. Lets face it were getting screwed every which way especially in the energy field.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

i agree with you 05Retro, by me its all the rich ppl from bergen county that have enough money to wipe their asses so they dont care how much they got out of middle class people, at least i got my v6 with aftermarket chrome rims for 9,000 off the msrp im a good buyer lol $30,000+ but paid $21,000

Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I think Ford themselves should be cracking down on their dealerships. Imagine the sales the company would have if they forced the Dealers to sell at MSRP, which is the price they determined, not the dealer. The dealer is just the middle man, and the middle man is ruining it for the customer and the supplier.

I to think Ford dropped the ball with the Shelby. I don't think I'd mine if it wasn't called a Shelby. If it simply was the 2007 Cobra. The car is just too much like a 07 GT that it doesn't deserve the Shelby name. What I mean is, styling. It has only tiny little differences, and it's sad. With that being said, and I'm not sure what kind of gas mileage the Z06 gets... but I'm sure with the latest technology Ford could be offering more engines for us to choose from. If the year of the Muscle car era is here. Where are the big displacemnt, somewhat efficient motors? The Z06 is a great car, and murders all of those in it's category almost. 500 HP on a 427 11.something compression motor. Ford's cheap response is take a 5.4 liter and Supercharge it.. Bleh to Ford.

Before anyone starts going. "They are two different types of car." I doubt Ford wakes up and goes. "Yeah, I need to build this car to compete with Foreign companies." No, that's what the Fusion and Focus and whatever else is for. The american rivalry has always been there, and will continue to be there until eventually we're all driving Honda's and Camry's.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:07 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

either way ford is losing more because they arent getting those ppl who want to pay msrp for the shelbys, like i said, my friend is in line for the convertible and he hasnt had to pay bumped up prices, and the samething with the boss 302, i wouldnt buy it from the dealer for that price, i rather preorder it from the special company
Old 12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
98tILLER

Just think of it this way, ifit was illegal for the dealer tomark up the price then you probably would not belegal to haggle for under MSRP. Sorry you can't have it both ways.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

I think Ford themselves should be cracking down on their dealerships. Imagine the sales the company would have if they forced the Dealers to sell at MSRP, which is the price they determined, not the dealer. The dealer is just the middle man, and the middle man is ruining it for the customer and the supplier.

I to think Ford dropped the ball with the Shelby. I don't think I'd mine if it wasn't called a Shelby. If it simply was the 2007 Cobra. The car is just too much like a 07 GT that it doesn't deserve the Shelby name. What I mean is, styling. It has only tiny little differences, and it's sad. With that being said, and I'm not sure what kind of gas mileage the Z06 gets... but I'm sure with the latest technology Ford could be offering more engines for us to choose from. If the year of the Muscle car era is here. Where are the big displacemnt, somewhat efficient motors? The Z06 is a great car, and murders all of those in it's category almost. 500 HP on a 427 11.something compression motor. Ford's cheap response is take a 5.4 liter and Supercharge it.. Bleh to Ford.

Before anyone starts going. "They are two different types of car." I doubt Ford wakes up and goes. "Yeah, I need to build this car to compete with Foreign companies." No, that's what the Fusion and Focus and whatever else is for. The american rivalry has always been there, and will continue to be there until eventually we're all driving Honda's and Camry's.
"Forcing dealers to sell at MSRP" would be called "price fixing," and it is illegal in the US. That's why the "S" is in MSRP. If Ford wanted to own the dealers (which they don't), then and only then could they set the price. Since the dealers are independent, then the manufacturer can't set the price.

Price fixing is anti-competitive, and competition ALWAYS benefits the consumer. I don't care much for ADM...but I haven't paid MSRP or anywhere near it in a long long time. So I'll take the bad (ADM) with the good (buying at or below invoice) anytime.

Quick Reply: Should it be against the law for dealerships to mark up prices