Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2007 GT/CS Seems Slow

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New 2007 GT/CS Seems Slow

ORIGINAL: xbone

Don't get the Ford racing tuner/cai, it is nonadjustable. I have a brenspeed C&L and SCT2 and no complaints, plus mine is upgradeable with free tunes at any time.
Thanks X - I wont get the Ford stuff (that was my gut so you confirmed it). When you say "free tunes", do you mean you can download them from the company and try them on your car? So being very new here, can you tune the car for different things such a quickness, HP, fuel economy, etc? (Super sorry for these beginner questions)....
Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

The stiffer suspension of the Bimmer will make it seem like you're accelerating faster as well. Also due to the solid rear axle the nature of the feeling you get when the car squats under acceleration is different and can make it feel slower since it is different from what you may be used to. After putting in new struts/shocks the car felt a little faster when accelerating.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:42 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Go to www.brenspeed.com and check out the tuner/cai packages. If you add other mods he can email you updates to download onto your SCT tuner.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

Thanks Stewart - I am thinking about getting the Ford lowering kit. I wonder if that will help with what I am feeling about the lack of acceleration. Hey everyone, I apprecaite all of the input. I think I am definitely getting the Xcal2 but not sure between the JLT or the Steeda. I am leaning towards the Steeda. Anyone have any direct experience with it? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

Captain, I have the same car as you. When I first got it my impression was very similar. It just didn't seem to have the same kick as my Dad's Eldorado Northstar couple did. Both had the same HP rating and my stang is lighter.

But I got a CAI and tune and it really made a difference in all octanes. I tried the 87 - 91 - 93 octane tunes. They all work great. The car really jumps when you hit the throttle. Just to see if it was all in my head I put backon the stock intake and returned to the factory tune. It was really dramatic how sluggish it felt compared to the after market cai-tune.

As many have said the stock setup is fast when you actually look at how the car is accelerating but the tune really takes care of the throttle response.

If you really want to get a kick in the pants the other suggestion would be to get a supercharger.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:07 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markj

Captain, I have the same car as you. When I first got it my impression was very similar. It just didn't seem to have the same kick as my Dad's Eldorado Northstar couple did. Both had the same HP rating and my stang is lighter.

But I got a CAI and tune and it really made a difference in all octanes. I tried the 87 - 91 - 93 octane tunes. They all work great. The car really jumps when you hit the throttle. Just to see if it was all in my head I put backon the stock intake and returned to the factory tune. It was really dramatic how sluggish it felt compared to the after market cai-tune.

As many have said the stock setup is fast when you actually look at how the car is accelerating but the tune really takes care of the throttle response.

If you really want to get a kick in the pants the other suggestion would be to get a supercharger.
Thanks Mark - I am pretty convinced now that i need to do this. You said you took yours on and off. Is it easy to do? A few min ago I went into the garage and popped the hood. I'm not sure i have the skills for this task. I probably neeed to find someone in the Seattle area to help me out. Which CAI and tuner did you go with?

P.S. I like bikes too. I have an 04' Deuce.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:32 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I keep hearing people say thier Stang doesn't feel fast. To me mine feels very fast and It doesn't have a tune. I have A GMS CAI that really improved my acceleration and sound but thats all. I am dying to race it to see if I'm just imagining that its fast. The tracks are closed here in Michigan so I will have to wait till spring when they reopen. Anyone else feel their Stangs are very fast in stock or almost stock condition?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 PM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

Hey Wing; so not sure you read my original post but I just got out of a BMW 540i Sport, 6-speed manual. It wasnt an M but I had the M suspension, wheels, shifter, etc. When I would step on it, especailly in 2 or 3, the car would "pull me into the seat" so that "feels" fast to me. Now I just bought this 07 GT a few days ago so I have something like 200 miles on it. This GT make a nice rumble when I take off but I dont seem to be going very fast nor am I being pressed into the seat. So the loud (and very nice I might add) sound with its slowness makes it seem "sluggish" to me. Maybe the fact that you have a CAI installed is the reason yours seems fast to you.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Thanks, Rangers lead the way!
You do have the 300, just not at the wheels but with these cars 300true whp is easily attainable which is why I bought one

ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

Holy crap! I only have 260/265? How can ford advertise 300? So what does a Shelby GT 500 have? 4-something? Also, do you have a link that you can send me for the JLT or C&L? I am super new here and and trying to find my way. Thanks. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

BTW, you have an AWESOME avatar!
Old 01-01-2007, 03:50 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CaptainAmerica

Hey Wing; so not sure you read my original post but I just got out of a BMW 540i Sport, 6-speed manual. It wasnt an M but I had the M suspension, wheels, shifter, etc. When I would step on it, especailly in 2 or 3, the car would "pull me into the seat" so that "feels" fast to me. Now I just bought this 07 GT a few days ago so I have something like 200 miles on it. This GT make a nice rumble when I take off but I dont seem to be going very fast nor am I being pressed into the seat. So the loud (and very nice I might add) sound with its slowness makes it seem "sluggish" to me. Maybe the fact that you have a CAI installed is the reason yours seems fast to you.
Captain, yes I read all the posts. Even before I got the CAI I felt it was fast but I felt a big improvement with the CAI. I definetely had the push into the seat feeling you say you don't get. Of course I haven't had a car with any kind of performance for some time now... that could cloud my judgement I suppose. Could yours be having some kind of issue I wonder? Have it dyno'd before and after your tune. The before should get you 255 to 265 HP.

Quick Reply: New 2007 GT/CS Seems Slow